New
Find
Notify
Tools

blue canvas?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Recently I was given a large roll of heavy duty canvas. It has been dyed dark blue.
I was thinking of making canvas leggins, a haversack, and a new shot bag for my fowler.
But - blue?
What do you think?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could cut off a bit (say, a 12" square) and try bleaching it. If that works, then you could bleach the pieces you cut for your projects, and try re-dying them with bark or walnuts.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Rit makes a color remover. Wash it to shrink it, redye if ya want n the sew up what ever ya want. Blue wasn't an unusual color but done to canvas would be a new one one me. If its tightly woven it might make a good smock type shirt worn loosely over your wool to break the wind n dampness thus staying warmer

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Indigo [beep blue] was one of the favorite colors after brown, in part to color fastness. I doubt you can get enough of it out of the fabric with color removers and bleach, without harming it, to then overdye with brown. BUT… you could always try a swatch and see what happens.

Have you considered it as a lining to something made from a different cloth, say linen or wool? Perhaps there isn't enough?

Canvas [cotton canvas] was not very common, so in any color you are fudging a bit. OH well you gotta do what you gotta do…. Nice and sturdy cloth, so for a pack (haversacks are military ration bags – sorry, pet peeve of mine – ) it would be dandy, and you can always paint the pack with oil based paint to change the external color and get a high amount of water repellent.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
I think dark blue (indigo, as Dave says) is a great color, and an historically correct color. We already have too many walnut brown everything...

Sew it up as a tube about two inches diameter, turn it inside out, iron it flat with the seam in the center, and you have a great strap for a bag.

Waterproof it, and use it as a floor cloth in your tent.

Use it as the seat material for a Washington Camp Stool.

Make a gun case out of it.

Make a shoulder bag for hunting to keep your thermos, gloves, flashlight, "Hunting Success Kit", hunting license, &c, &c.

All kinds of uses...

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There are some good suggestions here. Thanks!
I have about 10 yds of the stuff. It is an indigo blue.

I've been out of town for the past two weeks, therefor my late response. Went to Florida and on a cruise to the Bahamas. It rained every day!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post