New
Find
Notify
Tools

paint color
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I have some wooden boxes and I want to paint them colors an 1830's mountain man would have used, but what color and type of paint should I use?

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Any of the oxide colors, red, yellow or brown would be correct. I believe that by 1830 linseed oil based paint was available. I made up a red oxide linseed oil based paint for mine.

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes oil based paint from boiled linseed oil was available. You might also look into Milk Paint, and if for outdoor use, then try a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil over top.

Always test what you are using including finishing coats if for outdoor use, on a small piece of similar wood to be sure whatever combination of pigment and base that you use will work right for the final product that you desire.

Note that if you choose to thin out the boiled linseed oil with turpentine..., some folks do this to get thinner coats, and apply two or more coats..., the finished product will reek of turpentine for 1 to 2 weeks, so have a place for the stuff to finish curing that isn't part of your residence. Wink

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
LD, you mean you don't like the smell of turpentine? I love it, it smells like money to me, but I was a paint chemist for 30+ years

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave and Whisler, that helps a lot. I appreciate the link too.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Whisler, I see that your from Northern Ky. Where abouts?

~Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post