New
Find
Notify
Tools

Might try this?
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
quilling huh? ain't never been porkupined afore,reckon it smarts like this awl?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
It's not fun when you get poked. Ya have to be careful it comes out straight and doesn't leave something in the wound.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Porcupine quills are hollow, and filled with air. Cut the ends off the quills, it will relax the barb on the end of the quills, spin it while pulling it out helps a bunch. It still hurts like @#$& though.

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Mike - you can download William Orchard's seminal book on quillwork for free - here
https://archive.org/details/techniqueofporc00orch
I'd also recommend Jean Heinbuch's book -
A Quillwork Companion: An Illustrated Guide to Techniques of Porcupine Quill Decoration
http://www.amazon.com/Quillwor...ration/dp/0943604257
she will walk you through the whole process, including collecting quills properly and has a good list of natural dyes to use.

I do quite a bit of quillwork and seldom stick myself - you can clip both end of the quills but only one end is really necessary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreyWolf,

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
GrayWolf,,Thank you for the links Big Grin,,, now if you don't want those pictured laying around Confused let me give you my address Big Grin

Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Mike. As for laying around they are long gone to their new owners...

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I can certainly see why Wink

Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Chuck, that's just like the sheath you made for me isn't it?

By golly, I believe it IS mine.. Big Grin

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Yes it is Ron....

aka Chuck Burrows

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely beautiful work.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Zowie Chuck, your work is absolutely fabulous! I have always appreciated seeing traditional quill art. Been tempted several times to give this craft a try, but like a lot of things, never find time. Almost stopped the truck last fall to recycle one of the many road kill porkies I have encountered. Too many flies on that one! Maybe the next will be fresher.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Man that is sick, and by sick, I mean absolutely some of the best work I have ever seen!!!

Pretty sure I don't have the patience or talent to learn.

Breathtaking!!

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is talent.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post