Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
okay, today I carried thru with the cuttung four inches off each tiller to give the bow more strength. That worked nicely, the arrows have more speed. I may go to the archery shop in Guad on Monday while my car is being serviced. I wil say that the draw was smoother in the longer version, but what can I say? I also need something to shoot into and catch the arrows.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
No amount of cooking or drying will kill prions, the stuff that causes Chronic Wasting Disease, so if you have that down there, pass on any animal that shows signs of it.

Other than that there are a bunch of things that deer can get, but humans cannot get from deer...so no worries from drying. Because humans did not domesticate deer, were never had the long millennia for a disease or parasite to develop the ability to cross over. So if properly salted and then dried, there should be no problem from the venison.

Just be sure they understand this works for deer, so don't try it on pork.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I plan to go to the archery shop tomorrow. In addition to arrows I need somthing for a backstop and target. I will see what I can find

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
So I get there this afternoon and the place is closed on mondays. Oh well! I went by bus because I hate driving in that city, and there is no place to park your car on that main thoroughfare. So I walked on up to Burger King and had lunch. Then back to the bus station and home. Another day.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I finally got to the archeryshop in Guadalajara today, I bought a dozen fiberglass arrows with target points and plastic fletches. What they did not have in stock was an arrow grabbing target backstop. So I need a really big box I can stuff with crumpled newspaper, or a couple of bales of straw. I want to preserve the arrows as long as possible, so I will not shoot them until I have an effective backstop. And then I will shoot from a close enough distance to be sure to hit the backstop every time. I will only move back when I am confident I can hit the backstop from the new distance. I paid approximately 32 dollars for the dozen arrows. How does this compare to prices in the good old USA.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
One of my friends, a grocer (dont think American super market) will save a couple of egg cases for me, complete with all the paper paste trays the eggs come in. The trays will act as baffles to stop my arrows. I will tape the two boxes side by side for a larger square target. I will shoot thru the tops. With my low powered bow this should stop the arrows before the fletches reach the box, and preserve them.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, so far I have one egg box with all the trays in. Oriented them so they woul not fit together. That way I have series of baffles inside the box. They stop the target arrows nicely. Hitting the box is the challenge. I did wellwith the first volley of five arrows. But it took about six more volleys to put four out of five into the box. So I picked up the fifth out of the grass and hit the box for all five being in the box at the same time.
There is no shelf for the arrow to lay on and no mark on yhe string for the nock. I think I must establish those two points for any up and down accuracy. The plastic fletches sting my left index finger, as that is my shelf to lay the arrow on. I suppose I could put a nail or screw inthe handle to hold the arrow. But the arrow might 'leap' over that the way it does over my finger. maybe an add on wooden shelf with a slot for the fletch?

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Between 4 and 5 this morning I dreamed up a simple device to support the arrow on my bow instead of my left index finger. At the proper place I drilled a pilot hole angling down into the handle. Then I tapped a 4d finish nail into it, leaving much of it sticking out. Then I bent it toward the handle leaving enough room for the fletch to fly thru without deflecting it. The I bent the top quarter inch out to form the rest for the shaft. I works great, the fletch no longer stings my finger and the arrow is no longer deflected. I stuck all five arrows in the box on the second volley. To be fair, I also closed my left eye so as to aim down the shaft with my right eye.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I am shooting on a dailly basis now with my real arrows. Even though I bought 12 I am using only five, less to find under the grass when I miss. My target box/arrow catcher is just a little smaller than my torso in the front view. My last set of five today went into the box, but...William Tell I ain't.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
William Tell used a crossbow. Cool

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
A crossbow has more potential for pinpoint accuracy. I have dreamed of making one in the past. The mmodren ones a Cabellas are very expensive. hmmmnnn...

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Lol Vollie, fire up a forge and build yourself a couple limbs, then whittle the stock to shape and away you go. Nuthin to it, lol.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
after several sets of five arrows in the box I decided to get out my other weapon: my aluminum blow gun from Cheaper Than Dirt. I turned the egg case sideways where there is a yellow printing of an egg about the size of a goose egg. I have a dozen darts with plastic pistons. Once I moved thebox to 8 meters, I hit that egg at least 4 times during three sets. It ismuch more accurate in my mouth than My bow is in my hands. I did not miss the box at all, not even close.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
my bow

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Looks good,very clean lines.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I'm considering cutting two inches more off each tiller togat a bit more pull strength and more speed from the arrows.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to putting BLO on the bow. I cut it half and half with turpentine for max penetratration. The front of the bow which I basically did nothing to did not absorb much. But the side I worked is still absorbing after 4 or 5 applications. I hope to get oil all the way through in order to lubricate all the fibers and help prevent breakage. I am definately cutting two more inches off each end for a little more power.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
So Leon,what would you be hunting down there? Is there a lot of hunting pressure from subsistence hunters?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BT. There is no hunting pressure. My bow is a toy. Just a fulfillment of a youthful dream to make a longbow. There are some guys who will poach at nite with .22's, butI try to avoid them. some guys make crude muzzleloaders, which are legal, and hunt rabbets and our ground squirrels, which you don't need a license for. One of our friends saw our large black lizard and got very excited about killing it and roasting it over charcoal. But we didn't have the means immediately at hand to kill it on the neighbors wall.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
That's cool,archery is a good hobby,I used to be pretty good,but I don't think my broke down condition is gonna let me play that game anymore....You have fun,tho.