New
Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
A lot of times good feathers will be laying about in the chicken yard that have gotten discarded by the chickens in grooming.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I will ask the farmer if I can come over and pick up a few. Meanwhile, today I cut out the points with the thin cut off blade on my 3.5" andle grinder. Quite a job. Then I clamped each point successively and used the grinder blade to put edges on them. Everything was put away when I discovered I had made only six points for eight shafts. Okay, later. Pics to follow. Got to crop them first.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Pics are fuzzy because cropping magnifys beyond the ability to focus to get the kilobytes under 100. Only three points in pic.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
How they will be mounted. I tapered the end of the shaft so the blunt end wouldn't resist when the point goes thru the skin and lungs.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Only two fletches as per old times. Sorry they are plastic now.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My wife has a spool of very fine steel wire. I wrapped it behind the head, and for insurance I spread some of the fletch glue over the wires and went for a bicycle ride. When I got back I set up the box and took a shot with the new arrow. It shot nice and hit close by where I was aiming. The flat back edge did not want to come out of the box front, so I got my pocket knife and cut it out. The tip was still firmly in place. I consider the arrow a success.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Looks good,not bad work for a 3.5" angle grinder.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Today I tapered the back edge of the metal tips from the tab forward a bit to the outside so it wil be easier to pull them out of the target box. I then cut an electric cable about a foot long and stripped it. I unwwound the fine copper wires to wrap around the arrow shaft where the head tab slides into the groove. Then I mixed a littly epoxy for each point, yes, sorry, not enough skill tieing the shaft tite enough to hold the tip in place. I dribbled the mix into the groove and slid the tip in. Then I spread epoxy around the outside and wrapped the copper wire around 6 or 7 times. The rest of the mix went into the wraps. The tips are unlikely to come off the arrows. Then I coated each arrow shaft with urethane varnish for moisture resistance and a surface to glue fletches to. I am not yet totally primitive.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, sounds good.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a local guy who raises fighting cocks. They were busy shedding feathers in their cages. Tomorrow I want to decorate the last two shafts with stone points and real feathers.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I shot the five wooden arrows with the plastic fletches this evening. I hit the box with all 5 except not as precisely as the target arrows. The width of the cutting head takes more speed to penetrate than round pointed target tips so they didn't penetrate as far. The wooden shaft is thicker too and not as smooth as the target shafts. The recut head allows me to withdraw them from the box.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm,it might be informative to try shooting a chicken carcass with your homemade broadheads,and then a round point,and compare them ,as far as penetration,etc.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Are you suggesting I sneak into the compound where the cock fighters are penned and drawing down on several? Heh, heh, just joking.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I had to resort to epoxy again to affix the chicken feathers. And I cut two more metal tips because I just broke all the obsidian before I could get it cut.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Feathers look good,how do they shoot?.....Actually,I was suggesting buying a carcass...The Farmer might get irritated by someone shooting his fighting cocks,heh.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BT, I think I must file the inside of the nocks just a little. The arrows act like their is a lot of string follow, but I think speed is being robbed by how much force it takes to get the nock to let go of the string. This slows the arrow an tends to throw itoff course just a little, and that erradically.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Good idea,that nock is touchy.Ya want just enough contact to give a leeeetle bit of hold on the arrow.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Especially since I use a trigger release and don't actually touch the arrow to draw the string.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh,yeah that would make it more so....

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
That actually worked. They are shooting better now.

pistuo deo lalo