Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
A report on elguamuchil. I did some measuring and found that one end was three inches farther away from the arrow rest than the other. So this morning I set up my wife's scale and took the draw weight using my arrow to indicate fulldraw. 26 pounds. Then I cut 3 inches from the long end, the one that looks like it is recurved. I measured again: 29 and one half pounds. I then shot 2 sets of 5 arrows, hoping for no fatal 'crack'! The trajectory is flatter and I found it easier to make a nice group at 18 meters. I hope it will continue to want to play and not break.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Okay!,hope it continues!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My nephew inspired me. He was shooting his 70 lb. Compound bow at 35 yards. Very flat trajectory in the video his lovely wife took. So I shot el guamuchil at 35 yards, not meters. The trajectory was about as tall as me. Out of 15 shots 4 hit the box on the fly. Most didn't reach the box because I was afraid to aim over the property wall. I was shooting along the long wall of the property. The last arrow skipped off this wall and stuck into the side of the box for the fifth hit, albeit ricoched. Some days you just smile, shrug your shoulders and put your toys away.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol,yup.Sounds like you're having fun,anyway.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I told y'all about the reeds I cut for arrows. They are dry. So this evening I ut nocks on th thick ends a cut grooves on the thin ends of three of them anx installed and taped in place tiny stones of obsidian. I did not deem them worthy of fletches. Two flew straight. I shot the one with no stone tips over the wall. Little Champ zent them off at high speed but the turned mike a hooking golf ball. Dried they are too light for arrows. So I will get to Home Depot and buy Ramin wood dowels for arrows.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the spelling. Keyboard is so tiny on my phone. Internet is out so I can't use tablet.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Home Depot in Mexico? Interesting,what is Ramin wood?

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yes, amazing, ain't it? A chineese wood, or somewhere over there. The 36" dowels at the hardware store are ramin wood, name of the species. TTBB says they are good for arrows. Some ML stores sell it for ramrods instead of hickory. It's cheap and fairly strong with just enough flex for those two jobs.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm,cool,I'll have to keep an eye open for it.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Since I cut 3 in. off el guamuchil I know it is faster. Yesterday we had guests and I had the son take a video of me shooting so I could time the arrow and calculate the FPS. He didn't get me in the vid, so I have only sound to start and stop the chrono. I can't react fast enough. So the arrow is going too fast for me to time. I don't need to know the speed but I can tell by the trajectory that it is fast.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sweet.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Now make another.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, I am waiting for my friend to bring me two sticks to make more bows. I may have to call him.
So today I put the target at 77 feet. Placed first by guess, measured later. My wife did a video on my phone. At the longer distance I had more time work the stopwatch function on my tablet. I still had some trouble so I timed the video 6 times. I accepted the most consistant number and got 124 fps. It shoots so much flatter now that I suspected my 119 fps. Frm before I cut the bow off. I timed the old video 4 times, too. The most consistant number gave me 102 fps. The difference between thebefore and after cutting numbers now seems a bit more realistic.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
AHEM! Here's an interesting tidbit for you. My wife was standing to my side when videoing. I knew the sound of the arrow sticking into the box had to travel back to the camera. But I thought the distance too short to affect the outcome of the calculations. But I was curious. So, using junior high math I calculated the part of the second it took the sound to come back. Then I subtracted that from the part of the second I got most consistently from the stopwatch function and recalculated the fps. Hoo, hoo! It is not trivial. My fps went from 124 to 139! To make all easier having a mike at the release trigger hooked up to start a timer and a mike at the target to stop the same timer would make it all so much more reliable. I know a man who frequents Friendship who has the timer and mikes and knows how to set it up. Alas, he is not here.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm,I would think,for now,that you're overthinking it.Your mkI human brain is capable of giving you rough(as in,"this is faster than the last one")estimates good for improving your bows.I think you're doing great!Less than 10 failures into the new hobby,you have a usable bow!Make a couple more just to cement the new skills,and move on to arrows!Or,continue making new types of bows.For getting your info from a book,you're doing fantastic!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BT, and that is good advice.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Went to Guad yesterday to Home Depot. Got some straight dowels of Mex pine. I will make some arrows. Metal broadheads I will make from some thin scrap. Will cut nocks on back end. Need to find real feathers.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Go Leon!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Just to get started I formed a nock on one stick and gave the stick a low speed ride. It worked perfectly. The string snapped into the nock and the nock released the string and flew away as per normal. I plan to form some complete arrows tomorrow to test launch. Don't have time today. I preach this evening.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The shafts are prepared, nocks on one end, cuts on the other end that allow the metal I am using to slide in snugly. The metal is construction grade for purlons. I think it is thick enough to not fold over when it hits ribs. Yesterday I asked a farmer selling chicken at the central market in Acatlán de Juarez to bring me some feathers. A bust. The feathers were scalded and taken off by beaters in a machine. I dried a bunch in the sun today but the beaters stripped the plumage from the shaft of the feather. To get started shooting them I will use the plastic fletches from the archery shop. I hope to make the broadheads tomorrow afternoon.

pistuo deo lalo