Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I am now shooting the bow I thought I had ruined by getting a little too happy with my new spokeshave. I laminated a length of the last bow I broke onto the belly (inside) of the week limb. The arc is now corrected. Shoots moderately strong and is a pleasure to shoot. I will be pleased if this one shoots for some months without breaking, and I will be satisfied, and consider the experiment a success.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Alright!! I'm hoping this one works out!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I decided to not molest the nerves in my hands and blow darts at the side of my arrow target box from 9 meters. I did real well too, making three groups about the size of a man's head. By the third group my bellows were tired and my group had hit lower. I have about a dozen darts for each group. At least the bow provides the power to fling the arrows. All I have to do this pull and aim.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol....Amazing how fast the ol' bellows get tired these days....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Hee, hee, glad I quit smoking in '79.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Aint old age great!

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Biggest problem I got now is sleeping more than an hour between potty breaks.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,me too,Volly,At least until I took the hint my body was giving me and cut WAAAY down on carbs.Now I'm back to normal....And losing weight.....Now I get a full 6hrs.of sleep between runs to the bathroom.Yay!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
About every hour, 24 hours around the clock for me. It is rare when I get to sleep for 4 hours straight during the night.

And then; there is my old dog, Dixie. She has problems, too. She does better than I do, but often enough she wakes me up in the middle of the night so I can let her outside to do her business.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah,getting old aint for sissies....

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I fell sorry for you guys, but I am glad I am not alone. Carbs, huh? I love carbs. I'll think about it.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yah,I love carbs too,it's been difficult,but there are work-arounds....Just don't expect low carb bread substitutes to be much like real bread....On the other hand,I've found a low carb tortilla brand that is quite tasty.It's called ,"Mission Carb Balance".I was playing hide and seek with blood sugar levels until I got serious with this.All my levels have gone to where they should be,cholesterol included....Look up Ketogenic diets...Lots of info on the Interwebby thingy.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BT, I lost 25 lbs since coming back from PA to vote for Trump. My target was 180, but It has been so aggravating that if I can just get under 190 and keep it there, I would be satisfied. (about 7 more lbs.) I have always had low blood sugar. Not eating when I was young would put me in a real tailspin, but not so much since I'm older.
I am having more fun with that repaired bow. I shoots consistantly an I can hit the target box most of the time from 21 meters. I considered making some more laminations to increase strenth and speed. I have the other end of the laminated bow that broke. But I think it would be less pleasure to shoot it, and then it may...SNAP. Ughhh...I think not. Let it be and enjoy as long as it lasts. The farmer is not back from the USA yet. I wanted to shoot his bow some more but the wife said, "Why break it before he gets back?" I guess that makes sense.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup,listen to the wife.Keeps ya out of trouble.I'm bouncing at 210+-....If I could get to 190,I'd be happy...I think.I was 180 when I got married....My wife is an excellent cook....

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
45 years ago, just before we married I weighed 165. She set food fit for a king before me every night. In six weeks I was at 180. I first went over 200 after 2000 AD. Been struglingwithweight since then.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
I haven't been 165 since I was a teen.180 is my fighting weight,which I haven't seen since I got married 33 years ago.WE(both of us) are being serious about it now.I'm still enjoying my food,just a different mix of ingredients.I do miss bread,cake,cookies,fried foods....You get the idea.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I imagine everyone has heard of the tool I came up with to simplify the tillering of a wood bow. The other day my granddaughter shot a little video of me explaining the tool, I call it a tillering gizmo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvwUqn-EFQ&t=0s

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Eric, I should have seen this before starting my first self bow. I ruined and broke all but the last two because of going too fast and not tillering precisely.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I went to Guadalajara today by bus to the archery shop. The nocks I needed they did not have but assured me that the ones they sold me were the right ones for my arrows. I had to take special pains to get them glued on and thought they might not stay attacted but for a few shots. I tested them later and they did stay attatched. I also bought 4 new fiberglass arrows of 28 inch length. They shoot very well. As I found myself not fully pulling the 30 inchers, the new ones shoot just as fast and with maybe a bit better accuracy. Any journey to Guad is harrowing. And even letting the driving to the driver does no much improve it. My day began with a two kilometer walk to a bus stop where they are unable to ignore me and must stop to pick me up.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,a bus driver unable to ignore you?....!!!