New
Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Rancocas,I won't tell your wife,you can trust me.I sometimes use the same techniques.I'm not a veteran,long story,and sadly boring.
Leon,glad to hear your success in getting your hearing back.Maybe I'll shell out for aids,but the price is what I consider prohibitive.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
BTW,my Dad was on the Waddell in the late '60s(plank owner) as a machinists mate,wonder if you ever met?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Bob; I had a friend who worked for the VA for nearly 30 years. I, on the other hand, try to avoid the VA as much as possible. The idiots insisted that I travel 3 hours to Nashville for my hearing test, when I could have gone to Chattanooga that is only a half hour away.

Boartooth; nope, I don't know the Waddell. The Navy is a big place. I served on the USS Manley, DD 940. My ship was named after Commodore Manley of the US Continental Navy.

Okay, back to the self-bows and arrows. (:~)

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I broke another one today of the five sticks the farmer brought me. I had made complete sweeps from one end to the other with my new spoke shave on the back to try to get it to the point where I could draw it. I succeded in being just so able to draw it about 26 inches. But it snapped off right above the handle. There was no knot, no end grain to start the break. I have concluded that the wood available here can't be made into a strong bow without laminating. Tomorrow I hope to go along with the farmer to get another stick to cut slabs from to glue to two of the bows that I have made too thin.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That is probably the best course. What kind of glue are you gonna use?

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I was along with the farmer today while he searched for and chopped out two more sticks thick enough to make slabs to glue on the back of two bows. I will use Elmer's professional glue because I don't have better available. I skinned the sticks when I got home. I am thinking about using my machete like the splitters the colonials used to split slabs end to end following the grain lines while the sticks are still wet. I will need to try this tomorrow for it to work this afternoon would have been better.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into recipes for some of the old-timey glues?I know pine pitch mixed with charcoal has a big following.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Sooo, today I attempted to use the machete as a draw knife. I could not move it thru the wood. so I got out my rubber mallet and , while holding it by the handle in left hand, blade positioned across the end of the stick, I tried tapping the blade down thru near the center of the diameter. All I accomplished was to make long wedges. So I rounded the first six inches of blade from the handle thinking that if the blade couldn't cut across the grain it would have to split along grain lines end to end. The result: more long wedges. In the end I wielded the machete like I have for every bow and chopped a slab out of the middle of each stick. The narrower and shorter for the narrower and shorter bow. The wider and longer for...you get the picture. Both slabs are still thick enough to work down to even grain from one end to the other using cabinet plane and spoke shave. They must dry now for a bit before planing. I have them clamped to my very straight metal framed table top on the patio to dry straight. These species are all twisted and curved. Following the grain produced some twist. I hope to convince them to lie flat for planing and gluing. It will be a guess, a little educated from forming the bows I will glue them to, to determine how much thickness for the strength I want. It is my fond hope that glueing pieces together will make them much more resistant to breakage. If I ask the right artesans I possible could find animal glue. Epoxy works well for this purpose. Tsk, tsk, traditional or modern?

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, just did some reseach on the internet. modern wood glues work well. Epoxy is great. I already know how flexible it is from personal use as a bow backer. Titebond actually makes a bow backer's glue. Hide glue is not as strong and disolves in the rain, but as it dries it pulls the pieces together so less clamping is needed, however less clamping is also needed with epoxy.
It is recomended to use different species for laminating. I think my choices here in Ole México is white wood glue or epoxy.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I want to start preparing the slabs to fit to the bows. I will use pappy's old bench plane to reduce the thickness and get the grain trimmed so I runs end to end on the surface.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
my bow is in clamps until tomorrow. I think I succeeded in making the slab sufficiently straight for the grain to run end to end. I went with the extra fuerte (strong) white wood glue. I have used it before to backbows andit is flexible. Then I broke the handle on my pappy's old plane I got brutal and used epoxy to glue it together and affix it ti the planebody again. I promise to regulate these two bows much more carefully than the forruners.
The farmer's bow next.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm,regular wood glue,eh?Never wooda thunk it...Get it? Wooda thunk it....I crack myself up,hehehe.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I took off the clamps this morning. Had to run around today and did not get to work on it. Hopefully tomorrow.
Yes, thanks for the pun, BT.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I trimmed the edges of the slab down to the edges of the original bow. I did some careful tillering to get a smooth arc and to get the pull down a bit. I then shot a few arrows with it. I could not pull it more than half the length of the arrow. So I have some work to do yet. I also started planing the slab for the farmer's bow.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The big bow for my farmer friend has its slab glued to it and is in clamps until tomorrow morning.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
*Fingers crossed*

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I took it out of clamps this morning. I blended the edge of the bow with the slab. It is narrower now because the slab was not quites as wide, sadly, as the bow. I also tillered a bit to get a nice smooth arc. Tomorrow Iwant to take a few shallow waves out of the belly, then cut the arrow rest, fit a string and give it a try. I quit when I did today to try and not make any stupid mistakes by doing too much in one day.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
It broke on the first pull. I didnt even get to shoot one arrow with it. I have one laminated stick left. If I can get it to work and not break I may give it to the farmer.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
I know the Indians in your local used bows,what did they use?