Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I have nerve damage, neck, wrists, hands and fingers,and pulling the bows was destroying what was left of my right index and middle fingers. So I took the bus (to avoid drivng the the car) deeeep into Guadalajara today, to the Arquerio (archery shop) and bought a trigger release. A belt wraps around just behind your hand so you pull with the sides of your hand instead of three fingers. the pliar like grip mechanism is released with great precision with the trigger. It will take some practice to get good with it. The only downside is that it is a mechanism between me and thebowstring. But...saving the fingers is important. El Leòn

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Having tested my trigger release device, my bows seemed to have much lighter pull. So today I cut three inches off both ends of my 6 footer. I could not pull it with three fingers and it is close to what I can pull with the device. But it does slam arrows down range with authrity. And they fly with less gyrations, perhaps because of the precise manner in which the nocks are snapped free of the string. I will leave the smaller bow as is, it shoots well.
I may have too build a cross bow in order to have something to engineer, tinker with and perfect.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Shortening my longest bow brought the draw weight up to 30 lbs. This was my goal all along.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I recently saw an English long bow, 6'6" long, made of real English yew. The draw weight was stated as 105 lbs. !!!

It must have been made for someone like Hulk Hogan or Arnold Swartzenegger!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nope,just someone who shoots every day,and twice on Sundays.....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
It broke today! All sense of fulfillment ripped from my body. Shot little champeon for a while. oh well, spotted another limb big enough for more pull weight, from the same tree as little champeon...

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh MAAAAN!Wow,that's disappointing!......Well,back to the drawing board.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
¡Eactamente!

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I cut a new limb from the same tree as little champeon. I did some flitching on it to prepare it partially for use and also to help it to dry. I decided to try a rescue operation on King Pyhrrus, the bow that broke last week. After flitching off the handle and forming a new handle by tillering new limbs on it, I strung it. It seemed strong at about half draw on the first two shots. I pulled it a little farther on the third and heard a grex. so on the fourth I didnt pull it so far. But on the fifth I pulled until it snapped off. The Romans defeated King Pyhrrus this time.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
New bow is made. I rubbed in BLO for several days. It now has the slightest sheen, so I figured no more will soak in. I am being very cautious with this one. 7 shots today at no more than 3/4 draw. One tiny 'tic' on second draw. It is more flexible than dry, but strong and the arrows are fast. I will continue to flex cautiously and let it prove itself.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed.....

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BT, but it broke today. Now looking into other woods.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
RATS!! Frowner

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My thought exactly.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
since my last post I built a 5 footer from a limb of the Guamuchil tree, also recommended by nationals. I shot quite a few arrows with it on Thursday, but early evening it snapped into three pieces. I went back to the same tree and cut the branch beside it, which has less problems, and I hope the extra length, 6 feet, will acommodate the 30 inch arrow. I affirm that this is the very last bow from a limb, survive or break.

pistuo deo lalo

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I have made 2 longbows. The first was from a sawn yew board with a hickory strip as backing. It drew 40 lbs and although it now has a lot of string-follow, it is still in service. The 2nd bow I built from a 6.5 foot stave of Cascara. It pulls 90 lbs. My next project will be a horse-bow from ash wood, horn and sinew.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
shoshone, what is cascara? By string follow you mean the bow has taken a set? My hat is off to you. If you have read much of this thread you know my tendency to be heavy handed with the blades and my disasters. Right now I have a 4 foot 'bow' of ash that must be backed to be of any service.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
What is a horse bow?

pistuo deo lalo