Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
I am currently making a long bow from a walnut stave I bought from an artesan in northern PA. It is a split from the outside wood of the tree. It has been drying for a long time. Will the grain need to be lubed with diluted linseed oil before doing any serious bending? I just hate to break it after a lot of work. I have done the rough shaping with a sharp harchet, and will use a plain, file, and scrapers for final shaping. I see that I have accidently used the wrong form. Forgive me I dont feel like writing it over.

Question:
What is this?

Choices:
Someones idea of a joke.
Meant to help pinpoint question.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol,At least your punctuation is good,heh.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Well, sad news. I got a little happy with the planes, and have a weak bow, really weak. It is 5 foot ten inches long, so I think it can be made a little stronger by cutting about four inches off both ends. No I did not break it. I will stil have a bow that is longer than most recurves. It is just for playing with anyway.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a few question for you.
1. What local woods were traditionally used to make bows/arrows in your part of Mexico?
2. What firearms are foreigners permitted to have for hunting in Mexico?
3. What game birds and animals are available to hunt in central Mexico?
4. How is the fishing in Lake Chapala?
5. Are there caiman there, or are you too high in altitude for them?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I dont know what woods the used for bows here. My slat is PA walnut that I bought in PA last year. You can go to the local army office and buy a permit own a rifle or shotgun. You may not ownn one of current military caliber. Once it is bought it may be passed down the family tree, to sons, grandsons, etc. You can buy permits to hunt deer and javalina. Smal game does not require a permit of any kind. All the forests on the mountainsides are federal land and hunting is permitted unless it is a wildlife refuge. Ther is a ground squirrel here, and I am told, a type of grouse. In the past men supplimented the food suply by hunting small game. Shooting a deer calls for a fiesta because people simply dont own freezers sto store the meat. The alternative is tosell the meat quickly as with a steer, etc. I dont know what a caiman is. People dont hunt with bow and arrows because the concept of sport hunting is largely unknown. If you do hunt it is to eat. There is not much hunting because it is too expensive, complicated, and not sure enough to put meat on the table. Have I missed anything?

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, There is a a lively market fishing industry in the lake. People fish for the table as well. Mostly it is net fishing. I dont see fishing rods,etc.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Caimans are a small crocodilian that live in South America.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Down on the coast and over in the east where there is jungle they have honest to goodness real crocadiles, big ugly scary crocs. Dont step of the boardwalk.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Another little report. I got the bow strung. In the USA one could go to Cabelas, etc. and buy some cheap arrows with metal points and fletching installed. Or he could go to the local mom and pop hardware store and buy some 5/16 dowels and make his own. Not here. The smallest dowels Were 3/4 inch and 3 meters long. Good for castle assaulting crossbows. So I had a local carpenter make me 5 'arrows'. These are basically round. So I 'nocked' them with a gouge but the string slid right off so I cut an inside wedge with the coping saw and that works. They fly fairly straight until the lose most of their velocity. then they whip off in any direction. The bow is easy powerful enough to play with in the length of the property. So I drilled holes in the front and put scews in to act as a weight to stabilze them. They still sometimes whip at the end of the flight. I will look for someone who butchers chickens for the family and get some tail feathers to tie on the back a la the grey goose shaft of Robin Hood fame.Forget any accuracy yet at this point.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I would back your bow with rawhide or sinew for strength to help reduce set or breakage.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You could also try feathering your arrows with small pieces of plastic.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Staley, it already shoots arrows over the wall, and I dont let it strung long enough to take a set, but thanks.
BT, my wife suggested that this morning, but I like the Roben Hood motif.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies.
Are there peacock bass in Lake Chapala or large mouths?
I have read that waterfowl and dove hunting are big in some parts of Mexico. I'm an old duck hunter from way back.
Surely there are some kind of local reeds, or perhaps thin, straight saplings that could be made into arrows. Learn to knap and make arrow points out of glass bottles, flint, or chert, or hacksaw them out of thin pieces of iron. Go Primitive.
It seems that you are reluctant to take your bow outside of your compound. Is there some fear of government regulations that might cause that?
I ask because many years ago while on a fishing trip down on the coast of the Baja an old man who was with us had a major heart attack and died. I was alone with him at the time and in spite of my CPR there was nothing that anyone could do for him. Then, I spent hours being grilled by the local authorities about the incident. That was followed by unbelievable red tape and graft money being paid to get the man's body released so that we could bring him back to the USA.
Since that incident back in 1984 I have never returned to Mexico.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
R, I am not concerned with government and my bow. There just are no shooting ranges here because there isnt any sport shooting and little hunting. We have been invited to join a family and some friends on a property on a low hill where the family raises corn. We will have a cornroast and make fresh tamales over woodfire. Meat will be on the menu as well. I will take the bow along to play with. We have a lot of obsidian laying around on the surface, especially where the earth has been disturbed. I have thought of slotting the frond end and tying such tips in place just for fun. Will need to check out the types of fish in the lake.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The government has been trying to eliminate graft since you experience here. I was told to not go thru regular channals to permanently import my car, but I did. I did not pay any graft fees. I went thru an agent so I paid the agent his fees. But evry thing was handled well and in a timely fashion. Same with my driver's license. I have heard much about how things have changed. Lake Chapala has large mouthed bass. Also something called whitefish.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
I have been told that the native people up here in Oregon used rose canes for arrows,they grow very straight,and are strong.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Volie google poor folk bows. Some good info. For arrow heads a grinder with a cut off wheel and some used circular saw blades, you can make some decent broadheads.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooting a deer calls for a fiesta because people simply dont own freezers sto store the meat. The alternative is tosell the meat quickly as with a steer, etc.

They don't jerk the meat?

I would never use a hardware store wooden dowel for archery. The grain is never straight, and you are risking snapping the shaft as you loose the arrow and driving it into your hand, or it breaking on first impact with a rock or something when you shoot.

If you want some wooden arrows for hunting, I'd contact Lancaster Archery Supply . You should be able to order plain wooden shafts IF you want to DIY the rest of the arrow.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, the bow is not strong enough to snap the arrow. I just like to shoot a few arrows ocasionally for fun, since I no longer have firearms.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Bud, great idea, I have chunks of obsidian laying around that came in loads of 'sand'. I have a dewalt hand grinder and severa good tile cutting wheels. I have cut tiles extensively in finishing the house. I will try it.
Dave, I have not sen Jerky or heard anyone talk of it. Maybe I could teach the nationals some new tricks? Would drying the meat kill parasites, etc.?

pistuo deo lalo