Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
No, I soaked thru and clamp it to my steel table to straighten it. The cordage will keep it straight and strengthen it.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ahh,I'ma gonna have to think on this....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The rainy season is upon us. I have no finish protecting el guamuchil. So he was de eloping some string follow. With slower speeds and wobbly accuracy. So I tied a knot in his string toward one end. Now he has a slightly longer set. But aiming the next arrow the same way it sent over the top of the box centered for windage and fast. But I hate to keep adding set shooting him with excess moisture. I may have to put him away until tbe wet season is over. Then when he is dry enough put finish on to hold the set from lengthening.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan.Happy rainy season!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Today, there was bright sunshine and the air seemed dryer, so I put el guamuchil out in the sun. When I shot it later I put some arrows over the target box before I found the range again. I guess I can keep shooting if I dry it a little before hand.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Today I took the clamps off little champ. It was just nearly straight front to back. So I clamp one end in the sears work station and proceeded to glue side by side the hemp twine on the back. I wrapped it with twine as a form of clamp. Likely I will remove the wrapping when all is dried and cure. I think I will put blo over the whole stick and strands before putting the leather wrap handle back on. Once sufficient blo is on and soaked in, I will test it. Here is a pic from todays work.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I took the wrapping off this evening. I put a coat of polyurethane on it. I first trimmed all the hairs off. I will shoot a pic and post it tomorrow.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Here is the pic. Iput the final coat of urethane on this morning.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BTW, happy birthday to me. (Feliz cumpleaños a me) I have 69 years now. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Happy happy,Leon....9 years older than moi,and still kicking,eh?

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yep, so far. More time to serve the Lord and enjoy his earth. I am not afraid to die, I am afraid of what the medical community will do to me in the meantime.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, I put the leather wrap around the handle, adjusted the arrow rest, strung it and test shot it. While it is livelier than las week before starting to work on it, I don't think it faster than when it was a newly cut stick. I guess backing is mostly for preventing breakage. Unles I am doing it wrong, which is highly likely.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
i know laminating with ligaments,and use of horn is supposed to strengthen the whole assembly.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I want to stay around,as long as I can be relatively healthy.Mainly out of curiosity about what will happen next,at least for now...

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yes, ligament/sinew is touted for making the bow stronger. I just seems so complicated and I don't feel like trying it. A new development: a friend was at our house thursday nite. He has a farm nearby. He promised me two man size sticks for bows, one for him one form me. This is another species. He says you can bend it in a circle and when released snaps back to straight fast. He wants a really strong one. He wants to hunt the javalinas that eat his corn. He says we don't need a hunting permit. This may take some time.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
GOODIE!If it looks like a pig,acts like a pig,it probably tastes like pig.Go for it!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I tried to make arrowheads from obsidian pieces that came with driveway stone. Right away I knew it would take years to gain the skill to knap them. I had even watched a utube video on this. So I got out my tile grinder and managed to cut one in half. I tried to grind edges on it, but the edges just flaked away. So I am giving up that idea. My canal reeds are drying but I don't think they will be stiff enough or strong enough for arrows.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,knapping is a skill it takes a long time to learn.Then more time to get good.I can usually get a useable flake to use as a hand blade,but not always...It can be frustrating.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Volie if you have some old circular saw blades and an angle grinder, You have the makings of some broad heads.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bud, I have these things. I just tried to do crystal first.

pistuo deo lalo