Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The author of the TBB said that you can splice two pick handles end to end and make a bow. Surely this is heartwood. So today I was in a hardware store and they had an ash handle for an earth working tool. It is 4 feet long and inch and a half across. It has yardstick straight grain thru the middle of the length. One ash bow coming up. Also I went to a lumber store and bought a piece of straight grained pine. Pine is all they deal in. The ash cost me 4 dollars and the pine cost me 2 dollars. Out of respect for the ash I want to do the pine first. Maybe that way I won't make firewood out of another piece of hard to get hardwood.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Good luck....How do you splice pick handles?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Finger splices. To see what I mean point the fingers of one hand at the fingers of the other. Then slide them together. It is a very strong joint between ends of wood.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, I shaped an entire bow out of one of the pine slats today. Not wanting to destroy it today, I put in in the most moist place in the house. Before I go to bed I want to lay it in the grass in the yard. We still are having a little dew. I want to get a little moisture in it before beginning to bend it to look for flaws in my tillering. Kinks. I have plans for improving on what I did today on the second pine slat.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Good luck....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, it didn't break. Pine is very bendy, but not very strong. I got too happy with my papi's old cabinet plane. I have a hard time getting the arrows to the target box. I had the other slat sawed to 3/8 thick. I will not take much off in hope of having 20 or twenty five pounds of pull. I am practicing up to the ash one. They say we learn most from our failures. One thing I am learning, cut a few strokes and try it. Don't go by personal theory.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I now have a working pine bow that can stick arrows in the target box. I will begin to shorten the really weak one to see if I can get it to be strong without breaking it. I can't hit the box much with either pine bow. The last one vibrates for a while after releasing the arrow. Could have something to do with the inaccuracy.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
This morning I cut six inchex off both ends of the first pine bow and cut nocks on it for the string. It did not break. It may now be a little stronger than the second one. Still can't hit anything with it. The second one, having been ripped the whole length had what is called a working handle, it bends along with the rest of the bow. So I cut a piece of wood to fit on the inside of the bow to be a better handle. It likely will not bend now. This should stabilize the bow and, since only the limbs now will bend, it could be stronger.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Cool...

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I took the clamps off the glued on handle on the 6 footer this morning. Indeed it did seem to be more stable and flung the arrows a bit faster. After putting it back I shot the shorter pine bow and I would say that it is a bit faster than the longer one even though its pull weight is about 2 pounds lighter. The three foot walnut is still the fastest, even only being able to use about two thirds of the length of the arrow. Iam just going to shoot these three for a while and get some other work done that my wife has been bugging me about. Maybe in about a month I will start working on the ash bow. And start a new thread.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya, gotta keep momma happy.I'll be looking for your continued adventures with bow making.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I broke the six footer of pine today. The upper limb right above the handle I glued on started to separate along annual ring lines the first time I drew an arrow after gluing on the handle. One cannot glue on a handle but must taper away from the handle that is left integral. The most stress was on that junction of limb and handle. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Bummer,you're gonna know a lot about bow-making by the time you're done...

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Had some new branches cut live for me this week. Supposed to be very flexible. These are like half hoops. Will join their bases together and use the natural curve for recurve... after the misses and I get back from the beach,later this week.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
I've always loved archery...I wish my shoulders weren't garbage.....I'm gonna be paying close attention to the proceedings...

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I had a guest shooting my two working bows today. at one point the pine one exhibited symptoms of immanent breakage, so I put it away and got out the little walnet bow. And after several turns for both of us it developed a latteral hairline crack on the front of one limb. I think I can save and improve the pine bow, but I think the walnut one is doomed.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
All your tribulations contribute more respect for the bowyers of yore.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I went to the nuclear option today. I bought two containers of epoxy, the kind that comes in two tubes and pushing the plunger puts equal amounts of resin and hardner on your mixing surface. Then I prepared the fronts of my bows that were about the break yesterday and put a nice coat of epoxy on each limb. It went on nice and looks good. the TBB says this willcontain an imminent break and give the bow more shooting strength. Tomorrow I will test them. I know it is modern but I am getting desperate. I strung and test my new one today that I made by gluing the butt ends of two small limbs of reportedly very flexible wood together. I took pics but the are too big to post and I have lost knowledge of fotobuckect. If you send me your email address I will send pics. This bow is strong and shoots nice but it is twisted in two ways. I wil need to saw apart my joint andredue it. Then I will need to address two places that will break if I let them go. I still have more woods to try.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,you really are learning a lot about building bows,aincha?

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BT, yes,I am. And bowyers of yore. probably father taught son,etc. Just what tree to look for, how to skin it, how to carve it, etc.

pistuo deo lalo