Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Little champion. It measures 57" long, is 7/8" wide at the handle, which is the widest. It is 3/4" thick at the thickest and tapers to 3/8" thick at the tips. I should name it the bumblebee because it should not be able to do what it does. That it works is likely a gift from God to me.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Is that cane?!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
No, that is from the Guásima tree. Those lumps are small knots, more than a dozen of them. Normally knots spell breakage, but little Champeon keeps on bending and snapping back and flinging arrows.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.....How strong is it?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
GREAT: This proves that my "lessons" were correct...."Time, patients and perseverance will concur all things".

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BT, well it only pulls 21 lbs. But because it whips back to string taught so fast it throws arrows faster than its weight would indicate. I now have completed and have been shooting a branch from the Guamuchil tree again. It is 6'3" long. It is smooth to pull. I pulls about 25 lbs. bBut it also whips back to string taught real fast. I will try to post a pic of soon. It flings arrows faster than little champion. I have no name for it yet.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Dick, in general I would concur with this quote.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Fascinating!At 21 lbs. I would have expected it to be pretty weak.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
here is the last one from a branch. 6 foot 3 inches, natural recurve one ONE end. I wil play with it as long as it wants to play. Shoots good. I will not modify it in an abortive attempt to get more speed. It has good speed as it is.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
BT, what I have experienced here with these two species is that whipback is everything. I have left more thickness and had a heavier pull, but slugish return to string taut. with a given arrow material, diameter, weight of tip, fletch design, being the same used in one bow to the next one, speed is the only difference. more speed less trajectory, more penetration on target. I was introduced to this idea by the TRADITIONAL BOWYER'S BIBLE. Some species have fast returnto set and some don't. These do.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,sounds like.....Thanks for sharing.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I have videos of four of my bows. In each one I can see the release and hear the thunk into the target box. On the later ones using the trigger release I can also hear the release. I watched each video on my phone with the stop watch function live on my wife's identical phone. Being as precise as possible I stabbed the start button at release and again at the thunk into the target. this was made easier by stabbing the same place to start and stop.
so,the latest, the 6'3" achieved 119 fps. The last gásima bow, after I cut it, before it broke in three pieces, achieved 86 fps. before I cut it, it achieved 81 fps. Little champion, by quite a surprise, achieved 117 fps. More than 100 fps with a stick is impressive.
Of course, all this would be more precise done with a machine for arrows. and going by sound certainly added a few thousandths of a second to the flight time.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I wanted to issue a correction. my computations were faulty for little champion. the other bows were shot at 17 meters, but he was shot at 12 meters. So in that video he flung an arrow at 84 fps. Now my friend who was shooting it did not fully draw the arrow, so he does marjinally better at full draw.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I had to crop it hard, but you can still see where the shafts enter the box. notice the two in the bulls eye. this was from 21 meters.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
It seems to still want to play! Praise the Lord!

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, guys, should I look into hunting javalina with bow? Of course I will need to get broadhead tipped arrows. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
If it is doable,it might be fun.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The permits are available, I know people who can get me to the right offices. I know people who can lead me to the pigs. The question is: can I draw down on and release an arrow at such a mean and irascible critter. They wear a grisle shield over there ribs. When you shoot one it turns and attacks until it runs out of breath.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sure sounds like a pig to me....NOT for the faint-of-heart for sure.Can your bow push an arrow through their gristle shield?