Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ahh,ok,I understand....I probably couldn't pull a big bow anymore,either. Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
after a few weeks of difficulties I did a little shooting today. my arms actually shook a bit on some of the draws. the dynamics of the bow have changed and I was missing the target box to the left. some went over the top. I actually managed to draw the bow to about 27 inches and it has remained in one piece. I need to shoot more.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,in my younger days I shot(accurately)a 56lb. recurve....Now days I'd be lucky to just string it before my shoulder went BLOOEY!!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Okay, here we go again! I saw my pastor/farmer friend lst week and reminded him that I am waiting for my bow wood. So Saturday he was out at the farm picking corn. He bought me 5 cut sapplings. The usable parts are between 5 and six feet long, almost no knots. One was nearly 3 inches in diameter on the thick end. 3 different species, hardwood. I skinned them tonight just before dark. I want to keep them as wide as possible. like always, the will need some weeks to dry. I can't really get to them right now, anyway. He rattled off the spiecies, but I lost them before I got a chance to write them down. I have not worked with these species before.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Best of luck sir, you will find it soon I believe.
Funny how something that was so simple to those in the past has been lost so quick over time.
Maybe not funny at all..
walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
One generation of not paying attention is all it takes.Sigh.

Factor
posted Hide Post
The adventure continues!Good luck,Leon!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys, I haven't touched those skinned sticks yet. I am currently laying flat stones in my driveway in a bed of concrete. I lay out and fit the stones in place ( which are up to 50 lbs each) and mix the concrete by the wheelbarrow with a masons hoe. Then throw the mix onto the leveled somewhat compacted very course sand (with pebbles in it) and settle the stone slabs down into it. Four loads a day is all this old man can do in one day. And I would like to finish it before going back to Texas to have my hernia fixed in January. I don't have physical or creative energy left for chopping out bows right now. maybe late January. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
No help available for that heavy work? Don't make the hernia any worse.

A couple of years ago I built a retaining wall out of concrete blocks. I also mixed concrete in a wheelbarrow with a hoe and used it to cement the blocks together. I only did about 20-24 blocks each day. Too old for that kind of stuff!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Leon,don't aggravate that hernia!That could make things bad indeed!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Surgeon told me it will be a piece of cake. He has seen them as big as soccer balls. El Leon

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Soccer balls?!? Wholly heck! I can’t even imaging that.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
'eagle, nor I.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yow!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Well, little champion broke a few weeks ago even though the twine kept it from coming apart. Saturday the latest thatI had built broke again. This time ther was no fixing it. the driveway is finished and it is time to start chopping on those five sticks. Here is what I am working with. Five pics.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
these first 2 are one species

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
two of another species

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
the last one is the least best so I shall have to start with it.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
had to crop this one again.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
okay, the first one is built and tested. One limb bends a little more than the other so this afternoon, after a short rest I will regulate a bit with rasp and file. This one I convinced myself to stop shaping in time to make a strong bow. I can only pull it to about 25 inches. But before I make it weaker I want my farmer friend to pull it. He is younger and very strong. He wants one about 50 lbs. El León

pistuo deo lalo