Find
Notify
Tools

bows
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
This is the heart of my crossbow. I feel, tho, like it might be another firewood project. It is from the guasima tree at the end of the street. Very stiff, drying for a month now. Too many knots.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The crossbow above is 31 inches long. It would handle well at that length.
BT, I think the looong one would do it if I have a razor sharp broadhead, maybe four blade, altho 2 or 3 blade might be less resistance to cut with. Obsidian anyone? I have some, it would need some sharpening. But then I should use a wood shaft, right?

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,and for backup(which they always had,back in the day)carry a razor-sharp boar sword...and hope you don't need it....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Javelina are not pigs, they just look that way. They are in a class by themselves. On average I would say that the type native to the Sonoran Desert stand about 2 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh from about 40 to maybe 55 pounds. I don't know if there is another subspecies further South in Mexico or down in Central America, but subspecies may vary somewhat. They are not large animals.
Individuals are not particularly dangerous. The danger is that they travel in family groups, usually less than 10 but herds of 30 or more are known to occur.
Another name for them is Peccary.
I hunted them some when I lived in Arizona back in the 1980's and although I saw some, I confess that I never got a shot. There are a lot of eyes, ears, and noses in a herd to keep a sharp lookout.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I've been told that Javelina/Peccary aren't pigs before,but ya know,"if it looks like a duck,walks like a duck,etc."....Just sayin'......

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I've been told that they are quite tasty animals.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah,"An' if it tastes like a duck",...... Wink

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I rode 50 kilometers today on the bicycle and came back with raw pigskin. More reading and then we shall see. While waiting for my guamuchil to dry I made an ash bow from a Mexican hoe handle, but it is weak and I intend to back it.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
I almost suggested making chicharones,but then I realized what you meant....Heh..... Wink

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't eat anything made from something that smells that bad. I hate chicarón anyway. But thanks for the suggestion. I seldom eat crunchy chicken skin either.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Again today I left the skin out in the sun all day, flesh side up. The sun proved out the oil, so while the skin is covered in oil the water is out. It shrank dramtically as I want it to. Tomorrow I slice off the chitlins and wash the oil out of the skin so glue will stick. TTBB approves white wood glue. I hope to have a backed 4 foot ash bow by tomorrow nite. Test shoot by monday.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh....OH!I guess I was right the first time.Thanks for clarifying that.....That should be an interesting experiment....

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
This will take longer than I thought. I couldn't do anything to the dry skin. So I put it in a bucket of water. After most of the day it was wet again. I timmed it some, got some flesh off it. But it was slick greasy on the flesh side. I made the first cut for getting the strips I need. It is soaking now in a bucket of water with laundry soap in it. I will do this repeatedly until it is no longer greasy. Then soak in clear water until all the soap is out of it. THEN glue it onto the bow.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Have you considered using ligaments for the backing?They might not be as greasy,and might be stronger.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I glued on the pigskin today. First I hung it in the shade a while then I laid it in the sun hair side up. I wiped the hair side with alcohol to make sure there was no fat deposited on it. Then I spread white wood glue on the one end, laid it down on the skin in the position I wanted, which was on my flitching plank and clamped it down. After 2 hours I did the other end. I hope the skin shows on the pic.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a gap in the middle of the handle, shouldn't be a problem.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The pigskin is tightly adhered to the wood. It has pulled the little bow taughtly straight. I am waiting a few days yet to try it. I don't want the skin to be too moist to snap back to straight.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Oh! I have decided on a name for it: Chicharón

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! Good name!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Ol' chicharón is a failure. While it didn't break it seems even weaker than it was before. So, this ends my experiment with backing with rawhide. TTBB did not say that it would be stronger, only that a bow too short for the length of the arrow would be preserved from breaking. But the long bow: Ol' Guamuchil, continues to shoot strongly and is giving no indication of breaking. So I will play with it for a while. Hopefully a long while. I think this pretty much ends this thread. It has run enough pages don't you think?

pistuo deo lalo