MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Traditional Crafts    How to make high top center seam mocassins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to make high top center seam mocassins
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Do any of you old hivernants know how to make moccasins and could help me out with some easy directions? I have a full brain tanned hide already.

Posts: 1 | Location: Jacksonville, Alabama | Registered: 29 March 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Styles of mocs were different in different parts of the country so research the style prevalent to the character your looking to portray. Summer vs winter styles could also be slightly different as well. Brain does not wear well as foot wear which is why as I've read Natives often carriedultiple sets of mocs on longer trips. Mocs, especially braintan, are a fancy way of going barefoot, LOL you feel everything. As metioned above there are many patterns on Google you can tap into

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I have seen Mark Baker do center seam mocs on one of his videos. There are probably a couple YouTube videos on the subject, but you have to be careful as anybody can post on YouTube.

What I did...., was buy an inexpensive Moccasin Kit from Smoke & Fire Company. I completed it without the liner. Then I got the leather wet and wore them in the yard for about a four hours, and the leather stretched. So I took up the slack at the heal by cutting the seams and redoing the heal. That gave me one good pair of woodland mocs.

Now, instead of simply wearing these, I wanted thicker leather, so I got some moosehide. I then cut open the seams on the kit-mocs, and used the inexpensive mocs as a pattern for all my future mocs. Wink So I didn't screw up my nice, thick, expensive moosehide guessing.

And in your case IF I had braintan hide, I surely would come up with some sort of pattern already fitted to me so not to waste an ounce.

I'm sure there are other ways, but this worked really well for me.

As for "high tops", I found from reading that what they did was fold the flaps up around the ankles, overlapping the lower edge of the leggings, and tied this up with a thong to keep debris out of the mocs in the woods....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There is a guy on youtube who has a pretty good video for center seam pucker toe mocs. Look for Steve Davis Bush craft pucker toe.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Seems like I have seen lots of moccasin patterns available from Track and Crazy Crow, probably other that I don't generally shop at too.

I agree that brain tan deer hide is like ole' Birdman says that a fancy way of going barefoot.
If you decide to use them for Sunday go to massacre mocs, make them a size or so bigger so that you can like them with something kind to your feet. You might also consider checking out one of the Tannerys online and get a piece of blacksmith hide. This might not be particularly authentic to any time frame, but it will last. This is one tough leather when oiled with the treatment.

I've watched some of the youtube presentations, but it's like anything that someone knows how to do really well... they always seem to leave the watcher with some questions. Good for exposure then either go with a kit to use as a practice then like above, use them as a pattern, or get you a pattern and some really tough leather and remember to make them big enough so that you can wear really thick socks or use a liner or make a leather insole.

Good Luck.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
After making a pair of elk hide center seam mocs I put them on and tried to go for a walk in the woods. After about 50 feet I wondered how the Indians could sneak up on anything. Every pebel twig and rock stabbed my feet causing me to holler out some unholy adjectives. I got back to the house and immediately ordered a pair of Arrow Fort Ligonier center seams. They have a thick sole that is very flexible. I highly recommend them for us tenderfeet.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I think Michael Galban produced a video about making center seam moccasins that is pretty well regarded. Crazy Crow may have it, but I'm not sure. You could Google it to locate a seller.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud in PA:
After making a pair of elk hide center seam mocs I put them on and tried to go for a walk in the woods. After about 50 feet I wondered how the Indians could sneak up on anything. Every pebel twig and rock stabbed my feet causing me to holler out some unholy adjectives. I got back to the house and immediately ordered a pair of Arrow Fort Ligonier center seams. They have a thick sole that is very flexible. I highly recommend them for us tenderfeet.
When I was a kid, I spent my spring and summers running through the woods around our house bare foot and shirtless and never even thought about it because my feet were so tough. Now days if I walk to the mail box bare foot I'm liable to be crippled up from a piece of pine cone or pebble!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Try www.redaviscompany.com for the Michael Galban video.

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
Good advice on pattern I have wasted leather and hide by winging it

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post