New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canvas waterproofing
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I have been kicking around making a teepee out of a cheap blue tarp and today stumbled across a tan canvas 9'x12' painters drop cloth at Wallyworld. Does anybody have any patterns/ideas/tricks for making a very cheap SIMPLE teepee? And does anybody know how to waterproof canvas? Thanks.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I built my wedge tent out of painter tarp. It is a real ordeal to try to get it water proofed. Even when you get there it is good for about one rain.
I understand about not having the money to buy the good tent cloth, but it will serve you without even having to waterproof. At least, that has been reported to me.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with not waterproofing the painter's tarps. The first time they get wet and dry the weave dries up pretty tight and repels water very well!!!! A suggestion(if the tarps are too big) is to wash them first the hang and dry!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Never tried the Wally world tarps, have tried the HF tarps. Yep, hot water and a couple washes and they are just like the dollar adjusted for inflation.

I have tried waterproofing using deck sealer... won't do that again. Come out heavy and spotty on where they do and don't leak. Next time I will try tent sealer. It's cheaper and might work better.

The key to the tipi is the inner skirt. A tipi takes a lot of fabric for one big enough to put a fire in.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
While I've never done it myself from what I understand you turn them into oilcloth by treating them with linseed oil and letting it dry. Here's a video talking about it and some other methods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...46DAAA061F61&index=5

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've done the Boiledlinseed oil before but you really have to be careful about sparks and flames. It will go up in flames pretty quick. I used a canvas tent sealent on my last tarp it worked fine. As stated earlier I did wash it and let it hang dry.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the new product called "Never Wet", I think 3M makes it? I've recently made a canvas knapsack, and am thinking of using this product to waterproof it, if no one has tried it, I will let you all know how well it works.

Del

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Del Gue,please do let us know how that works.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Been some chatter about that on another site and the answer was "no". It's spotty and doesn't work well....

For small stuff i.e knapsacks etc, I just warm the canvas then melt beeswax and put on with a paint brush, then back in the sun until it's all soaked in.....works great for me and have some items that I treated 3 years ago and it's going strong...for lean-to's I use painters tarp canvas, I just soak the canvas in warm water or washing machine, hang on a line outside(or dryer) the weaver shrinks up pretty tight and seems to be just as waterproof as treating with linseed oil and much much lighter...also linseed oil will break down the fiber in the cotton canvas and cause it to deteriorate much sooner, kinda like dry rot and as mention can catch fire ....quickly....and adds weight....so I have no use for it and no problem without it!!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If it soaks in it adds weight,,if it can burn it will... linseed oil gives off an smell..

Nessmuck "ISBN 0-486-21145-2 Woodcraft and Camping" pg22 first paragraph give a formula for WP tents LIME ALUM WATER,,,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I tried out the "Never Wet" (it's made by Rust-oleum)today. I had no problem, getting 100% coverage, and the product worked exactly as claimed, water beads up, like Rain-X on a windshield at 120 mph. Only found two colors, white, and clear (frosted). I bought the clear, it turned my medium brown cotton duck, a dirty gray color, most unsatisfactory. Fortunately, I used a scrap of the same material, as my knapsack, instead of ruining my little backpack. Back to the drawing board, I'd use beeswax or boiled linseed oil, but I'm concerned about flammability. Patrick, do you have your heart set on a teepee, or would a pyramid type tent, meet your needs?

Del

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I will go the washer/dryer route first. I am also going to try out a few of the Nessmuk type tent styles so as not to cut my tarp until I'm sure how I want it. I've got a few ideas I'm going to try when the mean old bossman will let me get off for a bit. Wink As I've looked at teepee plans, they seem to be camper level 2 at least. The open front trapper tent seems more basic, and with ropes you can make a few without cutting up your tarp. That is what I'm going to try first. I would love to hear all of you guy's great ideas on simple PC tents. Thanks again.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hey Patrick R., Thought you might like to check out this site: www.ddhammocks.com/tips/tarp-tutorial They show quite a few different ways to set up a tarp. Good diagrams too. Good luck and let us know how you make out with it.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I found a new product yesterday, while searching for a product called "Canvak". The only place, I could find "Canvak", was Cabelas, which is 26 miles, Bass Pro, on the other hand is about 20 miles closer, and in the marine dept. they had a product called "Waterproofing with PTEF". Tried it out on a scrap of canvas, took about 6 hours to dry, and had a very "funky" odor. This morning though, the odor was nearly gone, it didn't affect the color at all, and sheds water, as well as I could ask. Mother nature rained here this morning, as soon as everything here dries out later, I'll be using it on my knapsack.
Eureka
Del Gue, with an "e"