New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hello! I am probably the greenest of greenhorns on this site! I grew up in the city all of my life. My uncle was a Gunsmith, hunter, and general Backwoodsman. After his sudden passing, I received a box of his stuff. Inside was a Backwoodsman Magazine by Mr. Charlie Richie. It was very intriguing! It has opened a whole new world of history, old time learning and outdoors fun. I have only ever shot a muzzle loader twice at hunters safety training. I am more interested in knives right now as they have less moving parts and are less likely to explode! I appreciate any and all advice, wisdom, and knowledge that you guys pass along. Please bare with me as I ask a lot of dumb questions. I have enjoyed reading many of the posts already, and thought I should join so that I could post my questions.

Thank you,
Patrick
"The Greenest of Greenhorns"

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Patrick welcome to the fire and th only dumb question is the one at not ask a lot of very knowledgable poeple here and they will help you with your problems I see feather on the rigeline keep your powder dry and your blades sharp

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome Patrick. You've come to the right place. Lots of good people willing to share their knowledge. I look forward to reading your posts.

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Panhandle, North of the Canadian | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Patrick!

Go slow. There's some good books out there. Get as many as the Book Of Buckskinning volumnes as you can and Mark Baker's A Pilgrim's Journey.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the group. Being in Alabama, you may want to check out the events at Ft. Toulouse. A couple friends helped put that together years ago and its grown well with participants. I'm not sure what time period you want to do, or impression, but a visit to the fort may help you get started.

When you find the era and impression you are interested in, do lots of research on it. Depending on the level of authenticity you want to achieve, you will want to either do very little research, or a ton of research on it to get it right. So many who get into the hobby have made the mistake by buying things that weren't had back then. Keep in mind, its just as easy to do it wrong, as it is to do it right.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I will check that out. Right now I am just dipping my toes in the water...

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Patrick. Ask questions, please, and do your research. You'll find your area of special interest soon enough. Burning black powder is our religion.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to fire Patrick. This is right place to be for information and learning on anything black powder.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Patrick,
Osiyo,
First, Welcome to the fire- keep looking and listening you may just learn alot. Second, every person on this forum had to start this journey at some point in time, and to you welcome aboard sir! Jump in and get your feet wet. Enjoy the journey. Big Grin

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

So how did you guys come up with your nicknames? I lived in IN for a very little while and they called me "Cornbread." Thats not very mountain man tho...

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Soooooooooo tell me "CORNBREAD", what is? Smiler

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Now you dunit! lol I think Cornbread is a fine name.
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick R.:
Thanks!

So how did you guys come up with your nicknames? I lived in IN for a very little while and they called me "Cornbread." Thats not very mountain man tho...

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow,"Cornbread" is a great nickname in any era.I picked up mine as a play on my real name years ago for posting on another forum,and it stuck.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well then Cornbread it is!

Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick R.:
Thanks! I will check that out. Right now I am just dipping my toes in the water...

Come on in. The water's fine. And remember, the only dumb question is the one unasked. Regarding our 'nicknames' or nom de guerre, usually these are given to us by our compadres, often to commemorate an embarrasing incident. I think Cornbread is a fine name to start with, but don't be surprised if you get rechristened after awhile.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome.
Mine was hung on me by a good friend years ago who happens to be a cree indian here in Northern Alberta (I spent most of my life in the far north). It is actually "Walkineagle" but years ago when we transitioned from the old forum style I couldn't remember my password, so I just created a new username. The name came from my sense of humor, in that I am too full of it to fly.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post