Notify
Tools

New Forum
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
'Schticks,
Thanks for the information. And we did have some times on that interim site, didn't we?
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll jump in and trip on my own feet next.
I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the late
'70s, I'm way younger than Sparks having just had my 59th in October.
I'm an ordained minister, liberal/progressive about most things, but I own guns!
I started in this disease with a Thompson Center "Hawken" kit, went through a couple of NW guns, a Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle, an Uberti Santa Fe Hawken in there somewhere, and now have a couple of rifles (one really nice) and a North Star West Chief's Grade 24 gauge; all of these have either been in-the-white kits or assembled from parts, except for one trade gun.
I like to rendezvous, but haven't been to one for over two years since moving to Montana.
I've actually met Mike Nesbitt and survived, as well as a couple of occasional contributors to this Fire, and belong to the Montana Historical Gunmakers' Guild.
That's enough!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I've been around this site for about 5 years now, mostly listening and have been known to ask some questions.
I'm 54 yrs old and have been hooked on BP since the late 70's. I started with caplocks but have shot strickly flintlocks for the past 6yrs.
I visit this site atleast once a day to see what's new and have learned so much here over the years.
The amount of knowledge here is unbelievable!
Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'll jump in. Ol Buff here been around black powder for more than 50 years. Been over the mountian and through the woods,been hot and
been cold.ect.ect.Born and raised in the mountians of Colo. moved to the city at 65.
6 years later I still ain't liking it. But my health aint letting me live in them hills anymore. Still make some doings like frozen toes
this Feb.Maybe see you there.
Ol Buff

I will not trade freedom or dignity for a handout.

Posts: 27 | Location: Colorados High Country | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
Well I be Edelphes Woodman a legend in my own mind. Live just below the divide here in the stony mountains. Went to my first rendezvous at Fort Garland in 1978. Founding member of the Uncompahgre FreeTrappers a dysfunctional disoranisation that puts on the Happy Canyon Rendezvous outside Montrose Colorado every Memorial day Weekend.Attend as many Rendezvous and just get out in my skins as much as I can.
I'm a teller of tall tales with a cd out and my second one being released at Frozen Toes the last weekend in Febuary.Hope to see ya there ol buff.
I own two cannons and 5 muzzleloaders with the most of them being flinters. Hunt with them every year elk,deer and small game.
Will better shut down before I get accused of being windy.
Woodman

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, I see all the geezers are now pouring out of the closet and I'm afraid of the dark and hate to be left alone.

I've been around guns since I was a kid and around muzzleloaders since the mid 1960s. I'm a child of the Deep South but now live in Virginia (still the South). Currently my stable is home to 5 flintlocks with #6 being planned. I also have a flint pistol and three percussion rifles - two are usable. I also have something of a reputation as a teller of tall tales; difference is I actually believe they're true. So far I've done an admirable job of keeping this vice under some control. Less under control and much more irritating is a sense of humor which everyone (including me) keeps trying to slap out like smoke jumpers on a grass fire but to no avail. No subject is taboo, except one; humor. I do not joke about humor as I consider it a very serious subject. I know a lot but most of it ain't so.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Thought I would step in this myself! Not sure if I am an ole geezer or not, but turn 63 on Sunday. Feeling pretty good about things! I have been shooting BP off and on since I was 14. Got back into the doin's about 4 years ago and have never looked back. I was born in GA, and now live in the Great Northwest high desert country of CA(don't laugh). I am a retired LE officer, and now own and operate a guide service! Served in Viet Nam and loving life.

I started out 4 years ago with a TC Hawkin .54 which now has a green mtn barrel. Like others this sport is addictive. I know have 4 flinter rifles(one smoothy for turkey), 2 percussion rifles(TVM), 3 percussion pistols, and one flinter pistol. I hunt with all of them(one at a time of course) and also hunt with a longbow, I also found I really enjoy primitive camping and trekking with mules. Go figure. My Rondy name is "Turkeyfoot". I love what this sport has to offer(making my own stuff for one) and the folks I have met. Especially the campfire and all the great advice, friendship and support I have gotten in these last 4 years. We even started a club in these parts with 15 very active members!

Better shut down myself. Life is good!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess its my turn. I've been shooting about 41 yrs. Started when I was 8 with a Stevenson and sons 22bolt action and everything between that and Flintlocks. I have a 32cal,and a 54cal. TVM EV. I also enjoy traditional archery, flyfishing, trapping, and just being in the mountains.I will say that the folks here at the Campfire are the best, and are always willing to help in anyway they can.

Heck no, you'er the sort that gives that sort a bad name.
Trapper 54cal

Posts: 605 | Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
How long have I been at the Fire? I dunno, longer than some and not as long as others.

I was born and raised in Alaska where I became the owner of a few of my Grandpa's original firearms. That sure set the hook.

After 4 years sailing the sea's with Uncle Sam Big Grin including two cruised to the Gulf of Tonkin, I decided to get smart. That included book learnin at schools but while doing that, I bought my first muzzleloader. That was in 1972 an been shootin' em ever since.

Since then, muzzleloaders being like potato chips, I couldn't live with just one. I have a number of very fine rifles and pistols. Once I became part of working America, I also started attending rendezvous. I eventually ended up with a family and they also attend rendezvous with me. My wife excells at camp cooking and the whole family enjoys our primitive camp.

I like hunting and haven't taken anything other than muzzleloaders afield since 1986. I've used several different firearms but predominatly, I use a store bought Lyman Great Plains 54 half stock caplock but the last couple of years I've been packin a Pedersoli 54 cal Blue Ridge rocklock. Just gotta get a deer with a rocklock.

I enjoy grouse hunting and that's when my NW trade gun usually accompanys me. I've tried to intertwine that trade gun with my persona and my interest in Alaska History.

My Rondy name is White Finger but that's a long story. Since I live 15 miles from the Pacific Ocean and 35 miles from the Olympic Peninsula rain forest, I always have the chilly wet feeling so to drive the damp away, I like to visit and enjoy evenings at the Fire. Smokin good times.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Big Lee here been a member for a few years, don't know how many. Been shooting muzzleloaders off and on since 1974, use them for all hunting except bushy tails, use 22 when the grandson goes.

Big Lee

Posts: 46 | Location: PawPaw,Mi | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hi'trapperljt here also known as larry.i have shot muzzleloaders since my early teens when my parents bought me a cva kentucky rifle for kit my birthday. i am know 41.i hunt,trap,fish and have a tomahawk block in the back yard that the whole family enjoys

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I've been around these forums for lots of years, and been to a lot of rondys. My personal favorite is the Hawken rifle. I use a Hawken .53 that I built from parts and have a few others and a cannon.

I was going to register with my usual name but it seems that someone else has already taken them, so I have a new "unique" name. I am of Miami heritage on one side of the family and can trace my roots back to Little Turtle.

More as time goes on......

Posts: 7 | Location: Geodetic Center of the United States~~Kansas | Registered: 23 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Waapialenca where are you all from (home state) and welcome aboard lots of great guys and gals here with alot of information they share

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I need to finish out that profile a wee bit...I spent the last 10 years by Rabbit Ears down on the Santa Fe Trail, then I finally crossed the Arkansas and settled back at the homestead up on this side of the Smokey.

I'm acquainted with a lot of these guys from old forums and past lives. Hope to get caught up here. I have 3 capguns on the bench right now, and a 44 Stevens in the midst of a rebuild. The 3 capguns will be for my grand kids and are all 5/8 scale. One curly ash Tennessee, one walnut fullstock Hawken, and one curly maple Vincent half stock, all .38 cal based on some surplus Winchester .38-55 barrels I stumbled on.

Posts: 7 | Location: Geodetic Center of the United States~~Kansas | Registered: 23 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Scarhand here. I was born in '58 and started camping in '58, went on my first boy scouts five mile hike at age five as a scout master's son tag-along, started hunting at age 14, and started doing indian crafts at 15. When I reported to first ship in the Navy, I filled out a hobby and interest sheet. One guy looked at it, and said I was buckskinner, so I ordered The First Book of Buckskinning and have been hooked every since.

I live Idaho surrounded by both Shoshone and Bannock indian on the Fort Hall Reservation with my wife on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, and I volunteer on occation at the Fort Hall Replica in Pocatello, Idaho.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Hey, trapperljt, Waapialenia. I notice from your post numbers that you are probably new here - correct me if I'm mistaken. Welcome to the campfire. We look forward to having you share your knowledge with us and joining in on the discussions. This is a great place to be.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Like most of the folks here of my generation, I was influenced by Disney's Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett, read everything by William O'Steele in my elementary school's library. Built a .36 cal. Flintlock Rifle,and forged a tomahawk in my high school metal and wood shops (graduated in '72.Yup, those were the days).
'74-'78,got involved with buckskinning while going to college in Northern California. Group called the "Mad River Muzzleloaders". About this time I was introduced to Muzzleloader Magazinewhen I won a year's subscription at a Rendezvous. Been subscriber ever since!
Wife and I got work in Soda Springs Idaho after graduating, where we joined the "Sheeprock Muzzleloaders". Great group.
In '80, I was hired to be a game warden in California, doing my "internship" in Redding,Ca. While there we joined "Louderback's Fiddlebackers", another great group of buckskinners. Mr.Louderback was a gifted builder of muzzleloading rifles, and he helped me transform a used T/C Renegade into a "real" plainsrifle.
Just my luck, a tax initiative passed in Ca, and Ca F&G let everyone go with less than 5 years.
New Mexico was hiring, and that's where I spent my next 28 years. Retiring in '07.
I still shoot, but haven't competed in over 20 years..everything these days is just too far away.
I am a Hunter Education Instructor, and officiate at state and national level YHEC (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) for muzzleloading and orienteering events.
I also teach knot-tying,survival,backpacking,muzzleloading and orienteering at BOW (Becoming an OutdoorsWoman)events.
I enjoy the old blackpowder guns,regardless of era. I have flintlocks & percussions,rifled & smoothbored,rifles,pistols,shotguns and muskets, 1750s-1870s.
I guess that is it (some I know are saying "that's enough) Big Grin

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Waapialenia,
I grew up in Topeka, and as an adult lived north or Wichita; a couple of decades ago now I belonged to the Walnut Valley Muzzleloaders out of El Dorado. Great group of people. Kansas used to have some good rendezvous, too.

Dick

quote:
Originally posted by Waapialenia:
Thanks.

I need to finish out that profile a wee bit...I spent the last 10 years by Rabbit Ears down on the Santa Fe Trail, then I finally crossed the Arkansas and settled back at the homestead up on this side of the Smokey.

I'm acquainted with a lot of these guys from old forums and past lives. Hope to get caught up here. I have 3 capguns on the bench right now, and a 44 Stevens in the midst of a rebuild. The 3 capguns will be for my grand kids and are all 5/8 scale. One curly ash Tennessee, one walnut fullstock Hawken, and one curly maple Vincent half stock, all .38 cal based on some surplus Winchester .38-55 barrels I stumbled on.

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
I have been a the fire for 3 years. I am retired with plenty of time to stay in the woods doing what I like. At present I have 3 flintlocks 1 percusion and lots of traditional bows in my rack. I have a 36 caliber squirrel rifle ordered from TVM as well as a Southern Carolina style rifle ordered from Steve Zihn in Wyoming. I guess you could say the flint bug is here to stay at my house. I make my home in southeast Texas but stay in the woods at my farm in the country as much as possible. I love to shoot so I walk the woods during the off season killing the cans that live around this area. Big Grin

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Deadeye here! I've been at this fire since 2004 and believe me I haven't gotten tired of these great guys or the knowledge that is passed on. When I started into BP I didn't have a clue about this stuff! I started out buying a cap & ball colt which I still have and love to shoot, then I bought a Brown Bess from Italy and it was a sweety....wish I kept her! Anyway, I decided I didn't want to buy anyone elses fire arms so jumped right in an built my own fullstock Hawken an all the gear to go with it including a matching pistol. I love the smell of BP and everything about it and flintlocks are a hoot for sure! I watched all the Disney shows of Davey Crockett and thought the old rifles were so cool, I never had the income or knowledge to get into this until later and I'm sure glad I did!
I only target shoot since the bugs and poison ivy or oak love me way to much! I don't even have to see that junk and it attacks me from every direction. So I show no mercy to coffee cans and bottles and blast away! Wink

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post