New Forum
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted
Hello the 'Fire! Your wish is my command...viola! -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Linda,

This section is important because it lets first time users know EXACTLY where to go to introduce themselves.

I know that when The Campfire was "resurrected" about six years ago, the Tall Tales section was set up for introductions as well as general gabbing. But I suspect few of us remember that, and the greenhorns wouldn't know that at all.

Sparks

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ma'am.

Rich

Posts: 363 | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
This was long overdue and is a great idea. Finally the new members have a place to introduce themselves.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Great.
May I suggest that some of the old time members also use this forum to tell us greenhorns who they are.
Me? I've been here a couple of weeks now. I'm retired from law enforcement. I live in Southeast Tennessee. I just want to hunt, fish, and be left alone to enjoy my retirement and to roam these mountains as I please.
"Rancocas" is the name of the creek that I grew up beside. It is supposed to be a Lenni Lenape (Delaware) word roughly translated to mean "amber water". It refers to the root beer colored creek water that drains from the area's cedar swamps. The Rancocas Creek is in my native Southern New Jersey, not here in Tenasi (Tennessee) Otherwise, I'm just John.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, glad you like it. Meant to get this up a couple of weeks ago right after Arkansawwind suggested it, but as you may have heard, we had a minor blizzard (read, "six, seven inches--tops," but, hey, it's the South!). Thanks, Arkansawwind, for the suggestion and apologies for the delay in implementation.

Rancocas, I agree. I'm diggin' through the archives around here for a good (meaning, when I was younger and thinner!) picture of myself, and then I'll introduce myself also. -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
Miss Linda, thanks for the kind words.Actually the orginal suggestion came from hunts4deer. And he should get the credit for the idea, I just succended the motion. GREAT IDEA HUNTS FOR DEER. arkansaw

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm Fiddlesticks, the second oldest (in tenure) and the second most decrepit. The oldest is Volatpluvia, now resting his brittle bones in a far, far southern clime. There's a lot more I could say about him but he can do his own whin---er---braggin'. I could also name a list of those to be much aware of (myself excluded, of course) but space won't allow. Sigh . . . some things the newcomers gotta learn the hard way---Haw! Haw! Haw!

Anyhow, I've got six muzzleloaders, five bein' flintlocks. The one most prized is a .45 caliber pistol built by Steve Bookout, or Bookie, our resident literary critic and Moon Pie gobbler.

Now all you fellers and gals hanging up out yonder in outer darkness, come on in to the Fire an' join us. Pull up a chunk, grab a cup of Mike Nesbitt's coffee an' set.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya fellas!

From the ol' Crossfox, here at the campfire since the fall of '02. Been shooting ml's since the early '60s. Built my first one in '68 and continued to stock 20 or so more over the years for folks. Have lived in Alaska for 45 years, 18 years in the bush, running backcountry working sleddogs, with many backcountry trips at -30 to -45F.

Betwix encounters with grizzlers at home, and a few nefarious scoundrels thet contribute wisdom, literacy, 'n' humor here at the campfire, I've been greatly entertained over the years by this 'ere brigade.

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' yer thoughts loose!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
howdy! my name's windy, an' i live up hyar in th' great northwest, in th' shadow uv ol' mike nehi--i mean nesbitt--also called whitehair er pale rug. now ol' mike is th' eminence grise uv this hyar campf'ar, and he do cast a mighty long shadow (it's gittin' wider, too); in fact, thar's some thet claim it's th' reason fer our weather up hyar, bein' so dark 'n sunless, ye unnerstand...i ain't sayin' he's a big feller, but his used gunbar'ls is in great demand fer watermains 'n culverts hyarabouts. ye might see a photo uv him'n a buffler thet he grinned to death a cuppla y'ars ago--an' that's a full-size buffler, too, jist so's ye git th' perspective! as fer me, i ain't much shucks fer ritin' er yarnin' er shootin', but i c'n hit a fair lick with a 'hawk 'n knife now an' agin. this is gittin' wordy, so i'd best let ye off'n th' hook. mind yer topknots! windy

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey to the Campfire, The only thing Windy said that is really true is the fact that he does live in the shadows. He's the absolute rendezvous lurker, lurking 'round the camps and trader's row. And that was a full sized buffalo alright, for bein' just a year old. Yes, you can read Windy's notes again and then you'll understand how he got his name.
Now for Fiddlesticks, You mentioned "Mike Nesbitt's coffee" like that was a brand name. (Maybe that's a good idea...) But what if one of own new Campfire members doesn't read the magazine? Then they'd wonder about that coffee. Either way, any newcomers here should grab a cup of coffee and join the conversations, that's for sure. Welcome to all, and shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Bear paw
posted Hide Post
hello the camp! although I have been in the shadows reading posts and such. and have been registered for a couple weeks. I thought it time I introduced myself. My name is Harry and i am 50 years old. I have been a career Paramedic in the city of corning new york for 23 years.and I have 6 awesome children. I have been around muzzle loading for about 25 years on and off but recently the bug has really hit. I am in the process of ordering a fusil kit from tow. thats about it....I plan on spending some time here.....by the way..where is the coffee?

choose the path less traveled.....there's less indians

Posts: 29 | Location: western new york | Registered: 13 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I am Dan'l also known as Keith Hickam - lets see I guess I have been in and out of muzzleloading for about 30 yrs now. I have been known to spin a tale once in a while and I have also been known to attend an event from time to time. I have great dogs, sound horses and sure fire flintlocks.

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Sparks here,
I'm one of the Oldtimers. Sixty will be here within a couple moons.

I've been shooting and "around muzzleloading" off and on since about '71, which is 40 years.

I started with original caplock rifles. Then after I got married to "Mrs. Stone" we started reenacting the 18th century. Now days I shoot a flintlock TVM .54 early Lancaster rifle and a 12-gauge replica English fowler from the 1780s.

I'm retired Forest Service and continue to be qualified and on call nationwide for wildland fire assignments (and other disasters) as an information officer.

I live in SW Idaho, but once a year I take my flint rifle to Pennsylvania to show it what Lancaster County looks like, or as much as you can from halfway across the state. While in PA I mostly sit in a tree and keep an eye on Audie (aka the Oldfart), and provide him with stuff to entertain folks here at the Campfire.

Lots of folks here at the fire are my close friends and I have met several of them...mostly those who came out to watch the show when I first went to PA three years ago.

I'll close so as to not be saddled with windy's handle.

Sparks
"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--Soon to be Ex Fiance in Twister

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of J. B. Flincher
posted Hide Post
Well I'm still a newcomer been here for just a year. I live just north of KC Missouri. got my first BP rifle jan of 10. and was given a nickname of Flincher after shooting my capper and bruising my right bicep, since then I have become addicted to this forum as well as BP shooting.I now have a flinter cva 54 cal. and learned a lot from everyone here. Thanks for the guidance and lore.to those just coming to the forums Introduce yourselves and ask away the only stupid question is one not asked ...

Just because its legal doesn't mean its right....if you always do right then you are never wrong.

Posts: 153 | Location: northwestern Missouri | Registered: 05 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Don't rightly know how long I've been at the fire. Started shooting ML's back in '77 after I built one from a CVA kit. Haven't ever gottin' into the Rendezvous thing but I have dropped several deer and elk with them. I shoot a .54 now, no shotgun though, them things is down right expensive!

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 27 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Bentchile here, fairly new to the forum. been makin smoke off and on since around 82,got a .50/.32/.45 hawk style rifles,.44 six shooter and a .45 single also have an old .45 kentuk kit in progress and a basket case 12 ga. sXs in the works. Has been history=14 yrs US Army,6 yrs Copper miner,17 yrs small bis owner, 6 Yrs Biker, Bent

Gun Laws?? I'd rather be tried by 12 than have 6 pallbearers

Posts: 26 | Location: Heyburn Idaho | Registered: 23 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Bentchile. If you like MLs you're at the right place. Don't be afraid to ask questions or jump in on discussions. It's a friendly and knowledgeable bunch at this fire.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Hee, Hee, Hee,
'Scticks, you'd like to start something wouldn't you? Huh? Huh?
Okay, when the new campfire was started after the first one died, I was not the first to register, but the third. I don't know who the two were that beat me to it.
I was, however the first one to post on the new campfire. It was about wheellocks.
What I wish I had was a collection of all the tall tales that Audie, 'Schticks and I have written over the years. There were others too, sorry I don't remember who they were. Many really good ones were lost on the old forum when it died. Very sad.
If anyone did download and save and print out those threads, PUULLLEEEEZE, submit them to Ms. dianna or Ms. Linda. Oh, BTW, Audie is the all time best writer of tall tales, bar none, 'Schticks is next, and I am down the line there somewhere.

Okay, I have built 13 or 14 over the years. Mostly flinters, but one grand wheellock and one grand matchlock. The matchlock is hanging on the ceiling at Dixon's ML shoppe, or at least it was. If it doesn't sell before May, I am going to take it back. I kinda miss it. Oh yeah, I built a brass hand gonne.

Hombre del Bosque, aka. volatpluvia, aka, Leonredbeard, for a short time Leonyellowbeard.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Volie, the frst two were mag staff, as I recall. You were the first 'of us out here' and you contacted me and others and the word quickly got out that we were up and running again---never to forget the site Sparks and Mrs. Stone got up in the interim.

Recollectin'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post