Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today?
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, most notably, I made a big pot of my world famous black bean soup. Having taken my .36 to the range a few days ago and "dry balling" an impossibly recalcitrant prb, I came back home after only a dozen or so shots - most of which missed the 12" X 12" target at 25 yards. After finally extracting the troublesome prb I cleaned the rifle and set about widening the rear sight notch so my lousy eyes can see enough daylight to aim.

Today it's still early and I've cleaned up all the dishes from breakfast and decided to sit in front of this rotten computer and waste too much time. Going to get back to the .36 and determine if I need to widen the rear notch even more. I widened the notch on my smoothbore years ago, actually a tiny bit more than I needed; but it works.

This summer has recorded a few people, kids and adults, getting et by gators. Haven't seen any gators since I left Georgia 13 years ago. Did have a woman vacationer get et by a great white shark - which prior to warming up too much in New England was a rare visitor and the very first shark attack documented in Maine.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, exciting happ'nins....I really like black beans...I've been messin' around in the garden. Our Roma tomatoes are coming ripe. 'Bout time for a snap freeze to kill 'em all, sigh.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sharks; I grew up in NJ and spent a lot of time near the ocean. We used to tread for clams in Tuckerton Bay. We had the boat anchored just off the channel and I was about 50 yards away from it, thigh deep in water and using my bare feet to tread in the mud, feeling for clams. I was stirring up a lot of muck.
I looked up to see a rather large shark fin cleaving the water between me and the boat. Uh Oh. I cautiously, but quickly made my way back to the boat.
Back around 1912 or thereabouts a series of shark attacks in a nearby NJ bay and river mouth killed several people and maimed a couple more. The shark was never caught, but it is suspected that it was a Bull shark.

Anyway, this morning I drove up to Vanore, TN to attend the annual Cherokee festival to honor Sequoyah, the inventor of the written Cherokee language. The Sequoyah Museum is there.
Not much of a doing, but nice. There were Cherokee and American Civil War re-enactors and their respective camps to wander through. A couple dozen vendors were displaying their wares. Powderhorns, shot bags, woven tump-lines and sashes, knives, blow guns made from river cane, wood carvings, arrowheads, jewelry, all that sort of thing.
I didn't buy anything.

Oh yeah. I like black beans, too. (:~)

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That bull shark incident was the inspiration for the book "JAWS". I'm told the Atlantic side of Florida is the "shark attack capital of the world". They lead the world in shark attacks, and come close to doing it with covid, too.

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I've been tardy for awhile but today was a fairly cool day around here. Only going to get up to the middle 90's all this week. Middle 90's here is a breath of spring. Bein as it rained a little here for a change I cleaned up my loading room. Did the garage yesterday. I don't know what got into me, I'm usually not this productive.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Today I got to do something different. I went to the dentist and had a new temp crown installed. Not the most fun thing to do but it had to be done. Tomorrow I go to lunch with two buds and try out my new tooth in public.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Was it done in Yuma?
Back in the '80's I had a root canal done down in Algodones, Mexico. It only cost me $50. at that time, and it worked out well, lasted for years.

Today, I mowed the lawn, hopefully for the last time this year.
Also did some target shooting, both modern and muzzleloader.
Oh, and I was greatly disappointed when I checked my trail cam. It had been out in the woods for the last four days. There was absolutely nothing on it!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Yes, done in Yuma. I don't go to Mexico any more as it can be problematic getting back across. Today I need to cut some grass in the back. It's cooling down here into the 90's which is a great relief.

Yours in shooting

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Let's see. Well, set up a couple of medical appointments, no sleep last night and battling a sinus attack today. Every day a wonderful new surprise. Roll Eyes

Factor
posted Hide Post
Today? I helped a friend ( widow lady that lives close to us) put up fence on her place. It's not done, but it'll be a long term project.

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Out back yesterday trimming low branches off a huge mesquite tree in the back yard. Stepped on one of the trimmed branches and a thorn went through the bottom of my shoe and stuck in my foot. Really hurt. Still hurts today. If the tree wasn't so big Id cut it down, it would cost a fortune for a tree company to cut it.

Yours in shooting

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Today I once again cooked up a big pot of my world famous black bean soup. That's it.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Today I raked up leaves. Still have more to do. Then, when time and weather are right I will burn them.
When walking out to my barn to get the rake I surprised two does in my back yard. Surprised me too!
I won't be hunting again until Tuesday. Deer season runs on to January.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Back on doing the house domestics today. Then go out to the garage and load my truck for a shooting outing tomorrow morning. I'll go alone tomorrow as my shooting and hunting buddy is in the hospital with all kinds of stuff wrong with him. In his condition I don't ever expect him to go out shooting or hunting again. It's a sad deal and it really bothers me. I don't have another friend like him. I just hope he lives through this without going blind or losing body parts. A prayer or two for Mike Brick would be appreciated if you will.

Yours in shooting

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I made an applesauce/banana sourdough cake, after I got back from church evening service. I was going to work in the veggie garden but then the rain set in. It cleared up a bit last night so we saw the "blood moon" at midnight, then (stupidly) read some Gun Test magazines a friend gave me. Didn't get to sleep until 1:30, then was up and down several times, the last time at 5:00. Got up at 7:00, coffee and a piece of cake for breakfast, cleaned out kitty potties, put out the trash, went for a walk with the dog to get mail. Now I'm ready for a nap!

It's raining again so the garden work is out until tomorrow....

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was a day of "rest". Weeded the raised garden beds, picked a bunch of green beans & tied up tomato plants. Found one of those "stealth zucchinis" which was hiding Saturday. It is now big enough to be called "Sir"!

Today I meet a guy who ordered a set of .308 dies for me. It's raining so I can try them out. Have a little plumbing project to do also. And we'll see what else I can get in trouble with!

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quarantined again today; caught THE BUG last Wednesday. Can't freely associate with my friends until Friday. Hope I don't have any lasting impressions of this thing; a couple of my good buddies went from 3-digit IQ's to low 2's from oxygen starvation. So far, I don't detect any changes--though there are those who would say "too bad" to that!
windy

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It sure seem we all just might be in the same canoe although a few of us are sitting over that leak in the bottom. I can't do much except walk our doggie "Brutus" then collapse at home for a rest. Often don't do much other than laundry & cooking/cleanup. With my brown thumb I don't dare touch anything that needs to grow. Sometimes the weeds get thick; I water them so they die.
Brutus sho protects us from serial killers 24/7.
quote:

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya, he shore looks ferocious....I don't dare collapse around here. My wife has a problem with a nerve in her neck and needs help to do things.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dang fellas! Ya shor make me feel tiresome! Right in the middle of bucking hay, got 5 tons in the barn already and will be bucking another 14 tons over the next couple of days. At nearly 76yo (in 3 weeks) I still keep up with the 3 young fellas I have help with the hay. Just have to say that acedaphetamin(sp) and I are very good friends.

Put Wolfwoman on the plane to Mongolia this afternoon. She is going on a back country horse trek into one of their nationals parks for the next couple of weeks. And then off to visit abunch of culture & historic sites......Me? I'm just the horse feeder and poop shoveler......Tough job, but someone has to do it!

Shor wish we had an old fashion ice house here, I'd buy a hundred pound block of ice just to sit on to cool off!

Be careful in this Heat!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post