New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today?
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I had problems getting a starter to "take off" and I cheated by adding a pinch of commercial yeast to it...Worked great, and turned into a nice starter.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I s'pose it might be the chemo. I've never had to deal with that, thank GOD. Hang in there guy, fight through it.
Butch

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on here enough, need to keep coming back to check up on what's going on.
I made a sourdough starter last Spring and it's been doing well thus far. Just baked a couple of loaves of bread a couple of days ago, in fact. I had not had any luck with making a starter before. This time I made sure not to use any metal utensils, a non-metal bowl and water from our reverse osmosis filter and it worked nicely. I did use a bit of yeast initially, then added flour and water daily, taking the same amount out (which I used for pancakes, biscuits etc. I was raised not to throw good food away). It seems to have worked.
Many years ago I thought about moving to Canada, Alberta or BC specifically. Then the powers-that-be ruled that I would have to have a job waiting, the employer had to have unsuccessfully searched for a Canadian to take the position, and I couldn't visit to search for that job. I really can't blame them but it did dash my hopes for living in some of the most beautiful parts of the world.
Hope you are getting on top, healthwise. That chemo is nothing pleasant! My Mom went through it several times and ended up living to be 89. I'll add you to my prayer list.
~Kees~

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Oh, what did I do today? well, not much yet but a week ago I had the frame on my older Ford Ranger repaired where it had rusted through. When I got it home I spent the rest of the week chipping, scraping, sanding and painting it so it'll (hopefully) last another 20 years. I had to drop the fuel tank to get to the frame behind it. getting it back in place was a real bugger! I had siphoned out 10 gallons of gas but still had about 4 left, just enough to make it unwieldy. Finally got it done, with new hanger straps to boot. I prepped the back of the cab and front of the bed for painting which I will do this afternoon. I had taken the bed off so the welders would have easier access to the frame. It all looks good under the cab, although I want to put the truck on ramps and paint the forward portion of the frame also.
~Kees~

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walkingeagle:
Didn’t turn out. Guess its time to give up on it. Lol
Walk

I can mail you some of mine, if you wish. I hear it's supposed to be healthier than regular yeast bread.
~Kees~

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I've never tried mailing any of my bread to friends.....Let me know how that turns out, eh? (tongue firmly in cheek).

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hoorah! It's good to see a few warm bodies still hanging around this campfire.

I've been away for some time, wandering in the wilderness.
Finally got fed up with the nonsense on two different hunting forums and left them both for good.
I've been busy catching up with various chores around here. Making good progress at that.
Planted a fall vegetable crop last month and have been tending to that.
Last spring I picked up a new (to me) .50 flintlock. A fancy late Lancaster type. Got my southern banded powder horn to go with it. And, I've been out among the mountains, hunting wild boar with it. Bear season is open here in Tennessee, but I don't want a bear. I want a pig. Seen lots of sign, but the actual critters have eluded me so far. Pigs are legal game whenever other big game is open season, except the pigs are considered more like varmints. I don't have to tag them or even report the kill. I'll for sure be out after deer when that season opens soon, also.

Well now. Gotta get going again. Can't tell if I'll be back soon, or if my wandering could keep me away for weeks. Sooner or later, though, I'll check in again.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you back in these parts....Take care.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was a day of rest. Saturday I tackled the vegetable garden, chopping up the plants which were killed by the frosts of the previous few nights. The only thing left alive is Swiss chard. Then I tilled 4 of the beds and covered them with straw. Hope they will be ready for planting next Spring. I have 4 beds left to do while the weather is warm again.

A couple of days ago I drilled a hole through the sides of the trigger plate on my "Hodgepodge" rifle (it started as a kit Mountain Rifle from Deer Creek which has been extensively modified over the years) 3/8" back from the pivot for the front trigger and moved the trigger back to the new hole. I had removed the rear (set) trigger long ago; this move lightened the pull quite a bit. Now I need to get out and burn some powder!

Hope everyone is doing well, what with the increase in Covid infections!

~Kees~

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Today was the 2nd day of muzzleloader deer season in the South Cherokee National Forest here in East Tenasi.

I loaded up my fancy .50 late Lancaster flintlock and went off into the hills at first light.

Since I hadn't had much luck during the bear/wild boar season, so far, today I tried a different area. I hadn't been on this particular ridge before today.

I slowly still hunted up the ridge and along near the crest of the ridge line for almost two miles.

By then I was getting hungry, so I found a comfortable log to sit on and took a break to eat my lunch.

I had found a turkey feather, but other than that I saw no sign whatsoever of anything! So, I dropped down off the ridge to an old logging road and just strolled back on that to my car.

No sign of game, but the woods sure are beautiful, blazing in the peak of fall colors.

They say we are in for a stormy night. The sky is overcast now and the wind is picking up.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Went for a walk with our pastor. We try to do that daily, depending on our schedules. When I got home I made up a couple of sourdough-applesauce-banana cakes, which just came out of the oven a few minutes ago. I have enough starter left to tackle a loaf of bread. Once that is done I need to bake a couple of batches of cookies. Then maybe get out and fling some arrows in the back yard.

~Kees~

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a full day! I'm just gonna sit here and watch the snow that fell last night melt and tend the fire...Oh yeah, I gotta feed my starter.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Pretty dead here - no one has been doing anything?
I have a T-C Pennsylvania Hunter which has not fit quite right - I have to raise my head a touch to line up the sights. Last week I had the idea to put lower sights (duh). I had a dandy front blade, for the rear I cut a piece of flat bar stock and bent about 3/16" up, cut a slot in the middle of the raised part and a counter-sunk hole in the "shank" to screw it to the barrel and now my eye lines up well with a proper cheek weld. Of course it ain't pretty, but it will do until I get a fancy one from one of the supply houses. But first I have to get out and see how it shoots.
Today is baking day - bread (sourdough, of course) and cookies. Need to get the turkey which I have ordered also.
~Kees~

Factor
posted Hide Post
My wife has a friend that just had surgery. We are going to take some soup over to her and gab...Oh yeah, gotta feed the starter too. Sourdough just doesn't get tiresome, I've got a real nice starter.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting. Nothing so far. Missed one small buck when a tree jumped in the way.

Ice on the creek this morning. I can't take the cold like I used to!

My .50 flintlock longrifle is very hard to load with my normal .490 patched round balls. I tried a very thin, worn out handkerchief material for a patch, and that did work better, but I don't like the flimsy material.

So, I ordered a round ball mold in .480 from TOFW. The new mold was delivered a couple of days ago. Yesterday I cast some round balls.
They do load a little easier in my tight bored .50 with my normal pillow-ticking patches.

Out of curiosity I weighed the balls. My cast .480 balls average about 166 grains. My .490 balls average about 176 grains.

I'm warming up now, and plan to get back in my deer blind this afternoon.

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday because one of my daughters has to work on the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
You might want to get some Kleenbore "Lead Away" material. I read about it a while ago and got some. It's a 10" x 10" cloth, impregnated with some mystery chemical. You cut patches of the appropriate size from it and work them through the bore. I was amazed at the crud which came out of my rifles, even though I thought they were squeaky clean. Be careful with this stuff, it will take the bluing (or browning) off also.

I hear you as far as the cold goes. I miss Alaska, but now I wonder how I would fare anymore with the winters! Speaking of which, I think I'll bring in an armful of wood and get a fire going!

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving celebration.

~Kees~

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Been a couple of weeks with no new posts on this thread. Now, I haven't been doing anything gun-wise but will be looking for days with weather I can stand and go to the range. Just no longer hunt but still love to shoot. I have been "tinkerin" and "fiddlin" like always and am anxious to burn powder.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Haven't really been doing much. Just trying to stay warm and getting a few of those "I'll get to it" projects done.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Today on the 11th of December I cooked a good meal for us same as I've always done for decades. And just doing that takes everything I have and leaves me exhausted. I've always loved to cook and would cook nearly every day; can't do that any more. I'm curious as to what I might accomplish tomorrow.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have the veggie garden planted, all 8 raised beds have been cultivated and seeded, with tomato, pepper and squash starter plants in. Bean, pea, lettuce and chard seeds also. I built a potting bench a couple of weeks ago and made use of it to get some herb plants in pots. Bought a bunch of flower plants at Walmart, cleaned up the flower bed in front of the house and they are planted also. There was a lovely little rose bush in that planter which never has done well, I think due to it being the North side of the house so not enough sunlight. I have transplanted it to a pot which I placed in the back yard, and it is doing very nicely now. Time will tell. I still need to mulch the flower bed, then weed and mulch the last one which is on the West side of the house with 3 rose bushes in it.