muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
What did you do today?

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5434013587/m/9697068283

28 July 2021, 11:28 AM
Kelly McDowell
What did you do today?
Interesting on another forum. What did we do today? I raked aa bunch of pesky mesquite beans this morning. I only rake for about 15 minutes a morning because it's hot here and dI got other stuff to do.

Yours in shooting
28 July 2021, 01:13 PM
Loyalist Dave
Well I checked on the garden, when I got done at the office. I have tomatoes, green onions, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, wiri wiri peppers (heirloom from the Caribbean), string beans, and German Turnips (heirloom) [aka Kohlrabi], and Basil. I am doing "square foot gardening" in three, DIY built, self-watering planters.

I got a late start this year..., so no harvesting yet.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove
28 July 2021, 01:40 PM
Rancocas
Hey Kelly, I lived in Yuma 1979 to 1986.

Well, I began my day by having some blood drawn to check my PSA level (prostrate problems)
Next I drove down to the next town and went to "The Knife Store". A couple of weeks ago I lost my favorite pocket knife. It was a gift and I carried it for years. I really liked that knife and I am heartbroken that I lost it. I looked everywhere for it. Anyway, at the Knife Store I bought a new pocket knife.
Next I went to Lowes and bought four 80 pounds bags of concrete.
Then, I went to the grocery store and picked up a few items that my wife wanted. She is baking today.
Then, here at home I mixed one of those bags of concrete and poured it into a mold that I had made earlier to form my own blocks. I'm not real happy with the result. I'm not sure this project is going to be cost effective. I expected to get two blocks and one brick out of each bag, but I only got one block and one brick. I need hundreds of blocks for a retaining wall that I am building.
Hmm. I will have to think about it, work out the cost, make smaller blocks, or maybe make a poured concrete wall instead.
After that I came in out of the 95*F heat, had a cool drink, and sat down here in front of this time wasting boob machine.

Yesterday I spent all morning out on the local lake. Caught a mess of channel catfish.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
28 July 2021, 01:57 PM
Kelly McDowell
rancocas, you probably wouldn't like Yuma much now. It's grown. Yeah I had to bleed last Monday for an a1c check, my blood numbers are a little high. Not enough be be diabetic but worth monitoring.
I belong on the blade forum, like knives a lot too. What did you lose and what did you get to replace.
Also glad to hear that someone seriously gardens. I suck at gardening, nothing grows for me.
Tou all have a good day.

Yours in shooting
28 July 2021, 03:45 PM
Crossfox
Hiya, fellas!

Smoke from N Cal, Oregon & Idaho wildfires is so thick here you have to cut and stack it behind you to move forward! Started coughing as soon as I went out to feed the horses this morning at 6am, by the time I had finished feeding them and filling the water troughs, I was getting dizzy from breathing this thick stuff.

Been inside reading and checking my eyelids for light leaks since I came in from morning chores.

It is so dry here a popcorn fart sounds wet! We could really use some rain but are only getting dry lightening thunderstorms.

Keep an eye to tha ridgeline......'cuz that aint fog rolling in!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.
28 July 2021, 04:33 PM
Hanshi
You may not know this but smoke from the western wildfires, especially from Canada, come right through Maine. Normal temperature for this date is around 80 degrees. But aside from a few hot days in the 80s and 90s we've had temps in the 70s. Occasionally there'll be highs in the 60s. Winter is cold alright but is getting shorter because of global warming. All in all not a bad place to be.

Today was my day to go to the hospital up in Waterville for my monthly infusion. Got back home to the delight of the three puppies we are currently fostering. Let me tell you three little fireball puppies will keep things hopping. High today was around 72-74 which is late fall in my native Georgia. If I get out this fall I'll likely take my Bobby Hoyt re-bored .40 to a .45 flintlock for the deer season. I'm really fatigued now, it doesn't take much to do that nowadays.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*
28 July 2021, 07:42 PM
Rancocas
quote:
rancocas, you probably wouldn't like Yuma much now.

I didn't like it much back then, either. I was Border Patrol there. I kept trying for a transfer and finally got out of there in the spring of 1986.

My kids graduated from KOFA high school in Yuma. One of my son's still lives out there in Arizona. He is a lawyer in Tucson now.
My daughter, who lives near us here in Tennessee, took her husband out to Yuma a couple of years ago and showed him all the places she remembers. She did say the town has grown.

The knife I liked and lost was a S&W Extreme Ops CK105H. Inexpensive, but I sure did like it.
Today I bought a Buck 254 Odessa Flipper. A little more expensive, not much, but I still like the one I lost better. "The Knife Store" where I went doesn't carry S&W brand knives.
Both of these knives were stainless steel and the Buck has an aluminum handle. I'm in the water quite a lot and need a waterproof pocket knife. I like a 3" drop point for a pocket knife.
My Dad carried a Barlow for ever. I have it now, but it stays here at home.

You do any traditional muzzleloading?

Hanshi; good looking rifle.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
28 July 2021, 08:36 PM
Kelly McDowell
I have liked knives all my life and have a bunch of them. I guess I'm a knife yuppy at the age of them 77 but my daily one now is a Swiss Army Huntsman. Not huge but takes care of my daily needs whatever they may be. I hate it when I lose a knife.

Yours in shooting
29 July 2021, 07:50 AM
Big Ugly
I have carried a knife for almost 60 years, since I was in Boy Scouts. It was a problem at times in later years as I traveled a lot (airports), was at the county courthouse and the federal building, all of whom really did not like them. I even gave my wife a knife as a wedding present. Recently a very small, slim knife I've carried for many years cease to hold an edge. It was a cheap one, but it worked for me, so I got a new Buck knife. Hope it works.

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit
29 July 2021, 12:21 PM
Boartooth
I've only owned one buck, a folder. I gave it to a buddy that needed a knife. I've owned a lot of other knives, mostly Schrades. All good for their applications. I do like my Svord Peasant flipper when I'm wearing my bibs. It fits nicely in that small tool pocket on my right side. I hate losing knives also.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
02 August 2021, 03:16 PM
Hanshi
When we moved from Virginia to Maine I gave away a BUNCH of knives but still have oodles (that's a scientific term, ahem!) of them left. I always carry a knife...or two...or three but am not truly a knife person.
This photo just shows a portion of what I have remaining; got lots more piled around the house.

03 August 2021, 02:47 PM
Boartooth
Do shuriken qualify as knives?...My butterfly knife sprouted legs a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I know who walked off with it, but I'm no longer anywhere near him.

03 August 2021, 03:01 PM
Bud in PA
Didn't do much as my neighbor came over with a broken piece from his mower deck. He plows my driveway in the winter. He had a wire feed welder and tried to weld it up but it broke as soon as he tried to use it. I put it back together for him. Went to the Post Office and found my doe permit in my box. At least it won't be a lean winter.
07 August 2021, 06:29 AM
Rancocas
Today, soon, the wife and I are taking our kayaks to the local lake. paddle around and do a little fishing.
Yesterday I worked on the retaining wall I am building in my back yard. My homemade concrete blocks did not work out, so I am using store-bought cinder blocks and cement.

07 August 2021, 09:09 AM
Walking Crow
Made jam and jelly.
11 August 2021, 04:17 PM
Hanshi
Today we took back 3 little chihuahua-mix, ADHD puppies back to the Humane Society Shelter for they're turn to be spayed. We fostered them for a few weeks, and my-oh-my is it silent now! We'll have a break but will foster again.

11 August 2021, 04:34 PM
Boartooth
Had a buddy just pass. It was expected, but still bummed even though I shouldn't be. He was dealing with a lot of pain and discomfort for the last several years. Gonna do a lot of remembering and thinking about him. Dare I say praying for him? I don't think he really needs it, but it makes me feel better....His wife and mine just had a looong gab on the phone. It is what it is.

19 August 2021, 10:11 AM
Kelly McDowell
Bought a two band enfield on another board the other day. Ordered two moulds and small parts. Today chomping at the bit to hit up a couple of places for musket caps for when it gets here. Got to do some cleaning and maintenance on several types of rifles this morning too. I'm doing my best to avoid yard work today. Hot, humid.

Yours in shooting
19 August 2021, 12:31 PM
Rancocas
Sorry to hear about your friend's passing,
Boartooth. The time is coming for all of us. Lets hope it is as painless as possible.

Rain all day here yesterday. Rain off and on today. I've been cleaning up the old pop-up trailer and gathering stuff for an up-coming fishing trip with my 30 year old grandson next week. Can't do much outside in all this rain.

Just returned from the monthly FOP (Fraturnal Order of Police) lunch meeting in town. One fellow will be moving out of the area soon and has been cleaning house. He gave me a nice 25 piece micro wood carving set. Tiny chisels and gouges.
I paint landscapes, but haven't done any wood carving in years. I used to make my own duck decoys. I have thought of making some decorative miniature bird and fish carvings. Maybe this winter I will get back into it.

19 August 2021, 07:02 PM
JoeM
quote:
What did you do today?

Well not a whole lot. We were under the threat of thunderstorms all day long (cool and gray out) - just waiting
for some rain that never came, (at least in my area).

So I somewhat kind of fine-tuned a front brass sight on one of my muzzleloader's (I felt it was a bit thick for my
rear "V" notch, and since it was cool in my workshop - I took advantage of it and got it done). I reckon I'll Range
test it next week.

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days