Find
Notify
Tools

Why is this forum so slow???
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Boartooth; didn't mean to wake you. Just feeling "antsy".

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm still hanging around, but I have been feeling so poorly for several weeks that I haven't done much of anything.
After beating cancer last year, this year I have been hit with other internal problems. One week from today my gall bladder will be removed. Hopefully, I will feel much better after that.

I sure have been dreaming of a new left-hand, flintlock, .54 caliber longrifle lately. I certainly don't need it, but I certainly do want it. Hopes of ever getting it, however, are dim. Big Grin

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We've been trying to get our garden finished. To make it even more interesting, we've received a frost warning for last night and tonight. Fun and games in the High desert!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I can empathize with you feeling poorly, Rancocas. I do hope you can get fixed up well and able to get back to what you like to do. I have an appointment with a dermatologist but it's August 4th. I've got a couple of troublesome moles on my back. I had one biopsied and taken off my shoulder over 20 years ago and it proved to be benign.

Don't know what it is but I've been in the doldrums for the last few months. Need to get back to the range but just can't work up the energy. And currently we are in the middle of an unusual heat wave with temps going into the mid 90s. Normal is supposed to be about 73. It's forecast to start cooling down tomorrow with the weekend highs in the 60s. This is Maine, darn it! But we seem to be having Georgia weather! But global warming has been especially noticeable here; and whatever one thinks is the cause of it doesn't really matter because it is here. Too much CO2 in the atmosphere and there must be something or someway to start reducing it. But then, what do I know.

I also want another rifle; a Kibler SMR .45. But the chance to get one is very slim to none.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I prefer a flatter butt plate than is usually found on southern mountain rifles.
Those Kibler rifles sure do look nice, though. I don't see any mention of left-handed ones in his inventory.

We've had rain, rain, and more rain down here in east Tenasi. Can't really get outside to do much.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles Rancocas. I turned 77 this year and I am starting to deteriorate. I just got over the china virus myself. My biggest problem is lack of energy. I need the energy to get off the couch. I have a couple of projects laying around and no desire to get to them.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
As a young dude I never thought I'd be falling apart before the the wet behind my ears dried up. I guess once one loses his/her mojo it's gone for good. Osteopenia is a curse I never thought I'd have; may cause me to lose my teeth, too. Post covid recovery can leave some lingering issues so be watchful for anything unusual such as that fatigue like Bud reports. I am fully vaccinated as I have a compromised immune system and would be in very dangerous territory with an infection. Still have to be careful since poor immune systems don't respond as well to vaccine as normal ones do.

Rancocas, You have the rain and we have the heat. Maine in the mid 90s!? Uh, Maine ain't supposed to do that! A cooling trend starts tomorrow as we get back toward the 60s. I like the flat butted stocks too. But my problem with the Kibler colonial kit is that they absolutely require carving and a bit of engraving, things I can't do - essential tremors. SMRs don't really need anything like that. Take care guys.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
When I was about 10 or 12 my parents took us on a trip to Maine. Dad, my brother, and I went hiking along the Cliffs of Otter on Mt. Desert Island. Looking down I spotted a harbor seal sunning itself on a rock ledge. I convinced my Dad to let me scramble down a ravine to the bottom of the cliff where I crawled over the broken rocks at the edge of the surf to stalk that seal. The seal lay on a large, flat slab of rock that tilted slightly toward the sea. I snuck up behind it. Being a kid, I was surprised to find that the seal was about the same size as myself. I was close when the animal looked up and saw me. It snarled with a mouth full of big, yellow teeth. I was between the seal and the sea. It turned and began sliding down the rock toward me. As it passed I reached out and grabbed it by its hind flipper, attempting to fling it further up the rock. Instead, my own hold on the rock slipped and I slid down off the rock and dropped into the ocean surf. I saw the seal was coming down, fast, directly at me. I pulled myself to one side as the seal slipped under my arm and went into the water. I tried to climb out onto the rock, but the pounding surf hit me in the back and I just slid right back off the slick rock. Clinging to the edge of the rock, I moved over to where I could get a finger and foot hold, and climbed out of the water. I looked up to see my Dad and brother on the rim of the cliff, laughing with much enthusiasm.
That would have been around 1958-60. Different, happier, better times.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Dead because the magazine has gone from recreational to Intelligentsia type folks being here and in charge of the magazine.

Used to be called stich counters but now the theme is totally HC?PC and not so much fun.

I had a subscription to the magazine for over a decade and a half. No longer as the magazine is just for the intelligential and not the fun folks.

Times change and the magazine has left me behind same as this disused site.

Is that a hint folks why it is dead?

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Please explain "intelligentsia".
Muzzleloader magazine is one of my favorite magazines. I enjoy the historical articles, information about various guns, hunting tales, etc.
I have had two articles published in Muzzleloader myself. In the Nov/Dec 2008 issue there is "Starr Mountain Buck", published under "On The Game Trail". Also, in the Nov/Dec 2010 issue is my story, "Joe Mulliner; Robin Hood of the Pine Barrens."

Factor
posted Hide Post
I was also curious to hear his definition...I don't consider myself a member of the "intelligentsia", but with a career of blue-collar work behind me it's kinda fun to indulge my life-long interest in early American history. Muzzleloader is a marvelous resource for someone who can't afford to do his own research( travel, etc.). I like to think, unlike some out there.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I also don't know what an "intelligentsia" is but I do know we are all at least intelligent to some degree. I like ML mag. and yes, it has gotten "slick" over the years but the good is still in every issue. Am I missing something?