New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is this forum so slow???
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hello, I’ve been getting this magazine for over 20 years. I’ve always enjoyed the articles, pictures, the writers and the topics covered.

I can understand the lack of attendance at the Rendezvous and shoots especially with our current world of Corona Virus. I’m in the north Dallas area and if you want to participate in a shoot or reinactment or rendezvous, you’re looking at a long drive. Heck it’s hard even to find real black powder around here. I would love to meet at least one experienced rifle builder to get some first hand help on a rifle project but for now, I spend a lot of time reading over at the American Longrifle forum on the building pages.

What really baffles me though is Why is this Forum so Slow???

I’m guessing it’s not just the lack of interest in the hobby. Perhaps there isn’t enough activity do draw constant attention. The busier a forum is, the more interesting new comments and topics which so many are wanting to offer our thoughts and opinions on. Yes, the busier it is, the more looks and activity it will draw.

I can think of many things that would make it more interesting to me. A HOW TO section sharing how you make a pair of your favorite moccasins. Pictures of the whole process. This can go on and on with many topics in leather such as making pouches, knife sheaths, powder horns, short starters, to knives, gun building from a kit at least, to even sewing on how to make the simple common pull over shirts to pants, vests, capotes or great coats, etc. So many topics could be in a HOW TO section. Even how to get started with your first black powder rifle, to helping educate about Reinacting and picking a Persona then how to pick your gear to fit and how to document it if you choose. All types of topics could be a huge help.

I also think that a really good For Sale or Wanted to Buy page CLASSIFIEDS page would be a huge help. So many of us have great handmade items that we can’t even wear or aren’t using now. To be able to advertise what you would like to sell and buy sure would increase the activity on this site. When I go to American Longrifles site, the sales page is the to.

Well I would love to hear your thoughts and appreciate your reading this. Bryan

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Bryan, I've noticed many of the formerly busy sites have been very slow for the past year. I'm sure the virus and resulting economic collapse have had a great effect on this. I do suspect as things gradually get better during 2021 that forum activity will start to build back up.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hanshi, but also many of us are just getting too durn old. Been there, done that - ya know? Plus depression for the times and in some cases medical issues have left some of us old timers with a tired/don't give a #@!! attitude.
The younger generations have been brought up in a techno/electronic world and old time muzzleloading just isn't on their video screen.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rancocas:
I agree with Hanshi, but also many of us are just getting too durn old. Been there, done that - ya know? Plus depression for the times and in some cases medical issues have left some of us old timers with a tired/don't give a #@!! attitude.
The younger generations have been brought up in a techno/electronic world and old time muzzleloading just isn't on their video screen.

And what Rancocas said.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you Hanshi and Rancocas for your replies.

Hanshi, I understand what you are saying but I’m leaning towards Rancocas reply as closer to the sad truth. When I was very young, like 3-5 years old, I watched Fess Parker as Danial Boone. Next I got into Indian Guide, which was kind of like cub scouts. That was short lived but the fascination of the American Indian, the Longhunter, woodsmen explorers, and the Mountain Men led my mind and hobbies because we had no video games and computers to sit in front of.

I grew up in Illinois and to deer hunt, I built a black powder loose interpretation of a plains rifle. That led me to a local muzzleloading gun club. Went to some rendezvous and then after moving to Texas, attended a few Historical Reinactments of pre Alamo time period.

Meeting people that had self taught themselves to sew authentic looking clothes, leather work, make all kinds of documented items, that was the best part. But unfortunately running into one person who felt it his duty to run down my gun and much of what I had at an event about killed the fun of this hobby for me. He was so busy trying to keep everything perfect in his eye of authenticity that he couldn’t see past himself to be a gentle educator to show someone how and what might be closer to authentic ways.

I guess the small opportunity to be exposed to the large time period where black powder was it as far as firearms went. I well remember 1976 with all the parades and events that filled a youngsters eyes with wonder. It seemed almost every man grew a beard that year. Ha ha.

Yes, I guess the sad fact is there just isn’t the draw for youngsters and few places to enjoy it. I do still enjoy making a pair of plains Mocs even if it’s probably a style that dates later than the pre-1840’s era and I’m just using them for house slippers. I still enjoy seeing my shooting bag, horn, knife sheath, Tomahawk and rifle even if they don’t get used like they once did.

Well to all who post here on this forum, I appreciate your stories, questions and comments.

Thank You.

Bryan

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Politics. It has been the death of several sites, as tempers flare and sides grow further apart. We're not all drawn to the extremes that have characterized the pro-gun and anti-gun nonsense, or the conspiracy theorists, but the worst of both have been represented on these pages, and we've lost the saving graces of our best contributors--I'm thinking now of the likes of Fiddlesticks and Leon Redbeard.
Makes me sad.
windy

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I guess times are changing. I am the only one left in my family with a passion for hunting. At 76 years old my physical limitations are many any more. there used to be 7 of us who would go hunting every Saturday for small game when i was a kid. Now on occasion i can get my son to go with me mainly for deer. my grandson is too into his video games. On occasion he will come shooting with us. I guess that the way we grew up was politically incorrect according to today's society.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Bud, I feel your pain. You and I are in the same canoe. I'm 72. None of my children or grandchildren have any interest in hunting or muzzleloading. All of my old hunting partners are long gone.

As for hunting; It used to be if a section of land was not posted then it was considered okay to hunt there. You can't do that today.
Public hunting land is mighty scarce in many areas, and much of that is game poor.

Another factor, I think, is the expense these days. Has anyone looked at the prices in the Dixie Gun Works catalog lately? There is no way that I could afford a decent flintlock, colonial clothing, and all the other accoutrements at today's prices.

And, yes, there is the politics. I do think we are on the brink of another civil war. My children seem to be aware of it, but my grandchildren (who are not children any more) are totally oblivious.

Yes, the times they are a changing. But, that is how it has always been.
How did the long hunters feel when their short era passed? How did the western mountain men feel when their glory days were over? How did the Cherokee feel when they were forced off their land and marched to Oklahoma? How did the Anglo Saxons feel when the Normans conquered England? And on and on and on.
Yes, the times are always changing.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Being kinda cranky today, I'll lay the blame on (it just has to be) either broken fingers or complete loss of internet access all over the country. It doesn't take much to just sit for a minute and type a "HELLO" to all. And I can't believe nobody wants to talk about guns, hunting, shooting. Okay, CRANKY SPELL OVER! Big Grin

Booshway
posted Hide Post
HELLO TO ALL ():~)

Hunting is my favorite topic of which I seem to know more about than anything else. I grew up in southern New Jersey. It used to be a good place, but I don't think it is anymore. Anyway, I started tagging along with my Dad and uncles on their small game hunts when I was 8. By state law at that time I wasn't allowed to carry a shotgun and actually hunt until I was 10. That first year for me, 1958, I had a shot at a rabbit. I missed. The next year, 1959, I connected and bagged my first rabbit.

Guns, I know less about, but I know what I like. I prefer classic side by side double barrel shotguns, and both percussion and flintlock originals or close replicas of what was generally available before 1850. I loath in-lines!

Just so long as I do not watch the TV news or even read the local newspaper I am generally fairly happy.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sorry 'bout that, Hanshi. I'm not one to gab just to gab... Growing up in Cali. with a mother that loathed guns and a Dad that didn't want to talk about WWII and refused to teach me to hunt, I didn't have many opportunities to either hunt, or shoot. I've tried to make up for that. I enjoy shooting. For a while I was into CAS and had a blast, but Obummer started the Great Ammo Shortage and I just held on to what I had. Long story short; I just haven't done much shooting lately. I sure enjoy talking to you folks but have difficulty starting an interesting conversation.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm 74 and can't believe I made it this far, but I did. My "hunting" started off with a BB gun, progressed to pellet guns then to "real guns". Funny, but all the rabbits and quite a few squirrels fell to my BB & pellet guns; never killed a bunny with a "real" gun. Squirrels & other small game/varmints are a whole 'nuther story. I've only owned two front loading shotguns, a Pedersoli 12 ga dbl "Coach Gun" - one of the nicest dbl guns I've seen - and my current 20 ga early American Flintlock.

My hunting career started off, much like most kids, shamefully shooting at birds I should have left in peace. Rabbits first and later squirrels were pursued over the hills. I was never much good with a dbl gun but was pretty good with a single barrel. After a while I decided I preferred rifles for squirrel and most other game. Deer I take with ball in the 20 ga and will use shot only for turkey, nothing else.

Never had a hunting/gun mentor; all completely self taught. That's both okay and not okay. But that's the way it happened. Seems that right after the doctor slapped me on the butt when I was born, I knocked him out and was interested in the outdoors and guns from then on. I was much to small and weak to lift one; but I knew they were out there and that I would get my share of them.

Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I kind 'a think all Forum's are, "traffic" slow these days - for reasons already mentioned.

IMHO, the real meat to this Forum is the Magazine, and the doers that are here when they get a chance.
There's certainly plenty of good stuff to read here, and taking part is way more fun and interesting then
talking about it.

I wouldn't worry too much about slow traffic. I bet when we're back to our normal routines, we'll see
an upsurge of traffic for awhile as at least we'll have some happenings at events to talk about.

Just my two cents worth... Smiler

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I wanted to thank everyone for the well thought out replies. There have been several that have brought up reasons I hadn’t given much thought to lately.

It is very difficult to find free places to shoot around where I live. Growing up in Southern Illinois, I could walk out quickly and hunt small game or dove, depending on what was in season. I always carried a Daisy BB gun out with me, later pellet guns and eventually a .22 rifle. There were also BLM lands you could hunt for free. Not so around here where I live in Texas. It’s almost all privately owned and cost a lot to lease hunting land. Yes, this plus the general “anti-gun” from media, etc I can see less and less getting into hunting as a youngster.

Another person mentioned ammo shortage and that made me remember why I shoot less now. It’s gotten so much harder to afford the ammo if I’m even able to find it.

Much of my enjoyment though is reading about all different topics and also crafting things myself. So I still come and read so much great information and interesting topics covered.

I appreciate all who contribute here on this forum.

Shoot Safe

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I grew up in mid-central New Jersey. It used to be called "The Garden State". About the southern half of New Jersey is "the pine barrens". It is mostly flat, sandy coastal plain covered with a huge expanse of pine forest with scrub oak understory, cedar swamps, cranberry bogs, and blueberry fields. There are a few low hills. Dark water creeks drain through the swamps and into small rivers such as the Mullica, the Wading, the Great Egg Harbor, and the Maurice. My screen name, "Rancocas", is one of those creeks that drains into the Delaware River.

Deer were scarce in southern New Jersey back in the 1950's and early 1960's, but small game in the form of rabbits, pheasants, ruffed grouse, squirrels, and waterfowl were plentiful. The fishing was also good.

We lived in a house that my father built in a suburban community outside the county seat of Mount Holly. But, even though it was the largest town in the county, it was still considered a small town.

I never had a BB or pellet gun. My Dad believed small boys just used those things to kill song birds and break windows. But, from a very young age I was taught safe gun handling. Whenever I asked, Dad would get his guns and we would go to my grandparent's farm for some target practice. I think I was 5 when I was allowed to first fire my grandfather's little .32 revolver. After much pestering, I was finally allowed to fire my Dad's 12 ga. double barrel. I remember that it knocked me down.

If a place was not posted for "no trespassing", and very few were, then it was considered okay to hunt there; no former permission needed. Two farms in particular that I remember were just loaded with rabbits and pheasants; one was a big apple orchard and the other was a large blueberry farm. We would walk the overgrown rows between the apple trees or the blueberry bushes and push out the game. We also had beagles that were a real joy to hunt with.

By New Jersey law at that time a boy (or girl) was allowed to hunt without adult supervision at age 14. My parents allowed me to do that. So, there I was, a 14 year old boy walking through a suburban New Jersey neighborhood with a double barrel shotgun over my shoulder and my beagle on a leash; going out to or returning from the surrounding fields and woods. Once out of our neighborhood I could walk about 5 miles before I reached the next small town; hunting all the way.

When I was old enough to drive I bought a little Honda 90 cc motorcycle. I was free! I strapped my shotgun over my back and rode off through town and out into the countryside. I was never stopped or questioned by the police or anyone else.

A kid can't do that today! Certainly not in New Jersey!

However, the times changed! I went off with the Navy for a few years, including some time in Vietnam. Upon my return in 1969 I took my little brother to that blueberry farm for some rabbit hunting. It still was not "posted", but the property owner came out, used a couple of tractors to block in my car, and gave us h*#@#!! for trespassing.

Meanwhile, that big apple orchard had become a housing project. Sad.

I left New Jersey in 1979, and have never looked back.
Yes, the times have changed, as they always do. I'm an old man now, and my time is nearly over. I don't belong here in the world of today.

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Honestly, with the loss of Fiddlesticks, and then Leon, the site just seemed to slow right down. Almost as though it took the wind out of the rest of us. I took a long break away with just the periodic stop in to see whats happening, or if things are picking up. This site used to be a wonderful break away from lifes pressures and problems.
I became more active in another “ traditional” forum, however it seems to be becoming more of a political, angry, frustration, venting, doomsday site lately. Which is what I am seeking escape from. I’ve never experienced any of that here. Hopefully I can refind that escape and hopefully this site rebounds back into the active forum it was. Looking forward to sharing and learning here once again.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You really hit the nail squarely, Walk. Fiddlesticks and Leon were very much the life of the party. I still check in and try to encourage anyone who posts. But, I'm not able to carry a narrative like those two could....I wonder what became of Leon. He just seemed to disappear.I know he was having health issues....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
This forum is definitely, right now, a shadow of what it was years ago. But I'm still here even if not as often as I once was.

I think the "scare" of the site closing a few years back may have had an effect. Anyway, I do still drop by fairly frequently looking for new posts and even sometimes starting a thread.

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Yup, I intend to check in at least daily, and also start a few. My problem is I have just enough skillset to build a gun, not enough to play to the level of the hobby guys, let alone the pros. Then there’s the authentic side, which my knowledge base cannot even touch. No matter if it's firearms, clothing, footwear or equipment. What I do know is hunting and the outdoors. So as long as folks don’t get bored, that’ll likely be where I inject the most.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Blame it on COVID !!!!! patients Grass Hopper ,,I just get out my old copies and reread them Got to be something I forgot or just skimmed over.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post