New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is this forum so slow???
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, I still stop by every few days at least. Usually I see nothing new, but I keep hoping.

The annual Alvin York Over-the-log
Shoot, in Pall Mall, TN. came and went. Due to poor eyesight I don't compete anymore, but I had considered making the 3 hour drive to go up there and watch. However the weather was bad and so I stayed home. Good thing I did. I hear the shoot was stopped and cancelled by 11Am due to heavy rain and hail.

The 43rd annual Tennessee/Kentucky Rifle Show will be held April 30 and May 1 at the Jubilee Banquet Facility off I-75 Exit 110, a little north of Knoxville, TN.
The show was cancelled last year due to the covid thing, but I have been attending the show for several years.
Mostly the show is all about original longrifles made in TN and KY, but there are always a few contempory muzzleloaders for sale and powderhorns and some other accoutrements.
I'm looking for a "southern banded powerhorn" and I know there is usually a horn maker there who comes up from Georgia. He makes just what I am looking for. So, I hope he is there again this year.

HAPPY EASTER

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
HAPPY EASTER All!
We haven’t really had any gatherins since March 2020 but my latest newsletter from the Alberta Black Powder Ass. says the first “local” once is scheduled for April 24 weekend. Not sure if it’ll actually go yet. Find out as it gets closer.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I don't know who this black powder ass is but you need to straighten him out, Walkingeagle. Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol, you so fuuuny!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Lmao, yup, that’s a good’un fur shore!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:

What really baffles me though is Why is this Forum so Slow???

Because it was to be shut down...,

You see this forum was a side operation to the Muzzleloader magazine operation. So when the original publishers sold the magazine to Mr. Gatliff, this forum didn't go with the deal.

The Scurlocks were looking to retire if I remember right, and since they would've still had to operate the forum, they decided to shut it down.

The majority of folks went looking elsewhere for a similar forum, and like myself, found others. The activity of this forum dropped to near zero, and then Mr. Gatliff chose to take it over to keep it running.

Alas, since most of the folks had moved off to other forums, activity here was nearly "arctic", and thus when folks returned to take a look, I suppose they saw so little activity they don't wander back very often.

I think COVID has actually increased activity for all such forums. I get "likes" from time to time on comments that I made years ago.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup, and then Fiddlesticks, and later, Leon left us and it fell a little bit further. Sigh.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That explains that !!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The only course I can think of at the moment is for all of us, myself included, to start being the solution instead of being part of the problem.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
The only course I can think of at the moment is for all of us, myself included, to start being the solution instead of being part of the problem.

Yes, IMHO Hanshi is right - become part of the solution. I for one will try to do better, and post more often. Smiler

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I enjoy talking to you old farts, it helps me get my mind off stressful subjects. I just don't seem to do much of the Longhunter type stuff. I garden, take care of my chickens, and try to get more ability into my busted up body. For example, today, I'm going to walk to the Post Office (1/4 mile round trip), and then do more yard, and garden type stuff. Oh yeah, I'm gonna start a loaf of sourdough bread to give a friend that's taking care of sick hubby, and sick kiddos....That should fill my day.Not terribly exciting, but it keeps me busy. Y'all take care, I'll try to be more talkative.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well - come on folks; jump in with both feet!
What's going on in your world? Anything to do with muzzle loading, accoutrements, history, hunting, fishing, gardening, events, personal and family doings, cooking, dog fights, or whatever?

I'm a cancer survivor. During 2020 when the country, indeed the whole world, was fighting the covid bug, I was undergoing chemo and radiation treatments for non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Covid never affected me much except for the mask mandates in many places. Isolation never has bothered me since I am somewhat reclusive anyway. I know some of you have had major problems and perhaps major family losses due to the pandemic, but for me it has not been any big deal.
My wife fell and fractured her pelvis last autumn, but she has recovered now, also. She is getting around fine again.
So far, tests have revealed that I have apparently beaten the cancer. However, my physical strength and stamina certainly were sapped. I could not move the buck I killed last season and had to call my grandson to come and drag it out of the woods for me.
Since January, though, I have been in a fitness program for cancer survivors at the YMCA. It has done wonders for me. All during the spring turkey season I was able to get back into the mountains and hike for miles over hill and dale once again. My hair has grown back, too, all silvery white.
Today I will be pouring concrete. I am building a low retaining wall in my back yard. I dug the trench for the foundation by hand myself, and I will mix the concrete in my wheelbarrow and pour it a little at a time. I will pour the actual wall in 2'x6'x8" sections when the foundation has hardened. I think I can handle that size section myself. I have lots of rebar to cast in between sections to help hold it all together.
It is a big project and will take me several weeks to complete, but I have plenty of time.
I will turn 73 in July. I think I'm doing pretty well. Wink
I had to remove a fairly large hickory tree to get it out of the way of my new wall. I cut it down and cut it into firewood lengths and gave it to a friend of mine. However, I kept a 5' section of the log that I intend to split and try making a long bow out of it. (When I get the time)

So, get your coffee, take a seat, and jump in!

Rancocas John

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Great to hear you're getting back on your feet. After my busted up body(caused by everything from a motorcycle wreck to 30+ years of wrenching on buses)forced me to retire, I spent a couple'a months feeling sorry for myself. Then, it seemed as if someone said, in my head,"So, you just gonna give up now?...Get yer butt off that couch and do what you can".4 1/2 years later I'm able to help in the garden, shovel dirt for awhile, do some repair work around the place, and just stay busy enough so that this is one of only a few forums I even have time for....I'm getting so busy I get frustrated when my body tells me to slow down...One big help to my rehab efforts has been taking Tai Chi lessons at the Y. I had to quit that when they decided we all had to wear masks even when working out. That was my line in the sand. So now I spend my energy working around the place, baking bread, and griping about the state of the world. I'm turning into a grouchy old fart, and enjoying it immensely.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, Boartooth, I think it's great that you guys are mending and getting your mojo back. I love being an old grouch and believe grouchiness is conducive to good health.

I've endured friends and loved ones (my mother included) who died from cancer. But I've also had the joy of seeing other friends and loved ones beat it and survive +. One thing, though, that you, Boartooth, may not be aware of. Historically, motorcycles were originally invented to reduce the population of the age group 30 to 60 year olds. This it has done with great efficiency. In fact it has beaten out the practice of boating without a life preserver, hands down. In fact it is second only to kissing tigers on the nose.

And when one is immune compromised - I'm in THAT group - it pays to put principles aside and do what protects one, that's me. And another practice that even if it doesn't lengthen lifespans, at least makes life more better.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
LOL Although I have yet to kiss a tiger on the nose, I have kissed a few dogs. I did scratch a black panther under its chin one time.
I've been riding motorcycles since I was 16 and now approximately 57 years later I am still riding motorcycles. Wink
But, whew! That concrete work yesterday really did me in. I'm taking it easy this whole weekend.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I guess I fail THAT test...No tiger kissing for me. I was 18 when I started riding motorcycles regularly, and I still own the one that a rogue ninja deer tried to assassinate me on. But my wife won't let me repair it( all it needs is an instrument cluster, mirrors, headlight, and handle bars), lol. I know better than to argue with her 'bout the bike, I like sleeping in my bed. As far as immune system problems; ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Oh yeah....I have kissed a few dogs, specially after a few adult beverages,lol. Take care guys.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
All the 4-pawed doggies I've owned got kissed plenty. And I like doggies that give kisses freely. Dogs are the finest people I've ever known. They are actually "angels" in disguise. Why we humans think we deserve them is beyond me.

Now the lipsticked, "so called dogs", are something I've never given any attention. I did date an actual witch while I was in college. I'd always thought she meant she was one of those "natural wicken" women not a REAL WITCH! Late one night we were coming back from a party, I was driving, and she whispered some words and I turned into a dirt road! WHOA!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Did someone say something about the forum being slow? Any proof?

Factor
posted Hide Post
ZZZZZZZZZZZ-*HUH?, did someone say something?*