MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Welcome to the 'Fire!    Hello from a New Old Muzzleloader - Golden, CO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello from a New Old Muzzleloader - Golden, CO
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Thank you for the forum!
I visited a Rendezvous at Ft. Lupton, CO some 3 years ago. The atmosphere was welcoming and fascinating at the same time. I had no clue as to what was happening and who these people in dress-up were, but it did remind me of the old TV programs like Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone (Yes, I watched those shows religiously as a kid).
Somehow, I felt more a part of this crowd than I did the Cowboy Single Action groups I had participated with.
A fellow at the Rendezvous had two cap locks among black powder accoutrements outside his tent and they all had prices on them. Turns out the fellow lived about 5 minutes from my house. That was good because I didn't have much cash on me and was riding a motorcycle - not conducive to a rifle purchase.
I bought the 2 rifles for a good price and went home with an Armi San Marco "Hawken" and a CVA "Kentucky" with 2 part stock.
That, friends, was the beginning. It wasn't long after that I purchased a nice custom flintlock from a person whose health didn't permit his participation in muzzleloading. If I bought the rifle, then he would include all the supplies I needed to get going. I posted the rifle and some of those accessories and accoutrements in the photo section. I have only gotten deeper into traditional muzzleloading and reading the history of the French and Indian War, the Trappers and Mountain Men, and anything else I can get my hands on that discusses those periods.
Well, enough of my being long-winded.
Thanks again for the opportunity to talk and share more.
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
With the purchase of the flintlock..welcome to the dark side Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Welcome Ron. I'ts amazing how much there is to read about the era of the muzzleloader. Glad you came to the "fire" so pull up a log and I look forward to learnin' from ya.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well Ron,My story parallels yours very closely,I kinda gave up on CAS after I went to a couple'a demos the local Mountain Man group put on,and started looking for muzzle stuffers.I didn't stumble across a great deal like you did,but I found a real nice flinter,so I'm happy...Welcome,these are great folks here....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
yeah... you'll be happier with a flintlock rather than one o' them new-fangled guns! hehe

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It's great to see you over here at our campsite. Make yourself at home and cozy up to the fire. Yes, there's a coffee pot being passed around the fire but also a jug with something a bit more interesting in it.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya, Ron!

Welcome to the CAMPFIRE! There are a lot of knowledgeable ol'geezers here, so don't be shy about asking questions and sharing info.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the welcome!

My front stuffer fixation has become so bad my wife threatened to abandon me on a lonely island if I buy another muzzleloader or accoutrements. In fact, she already did.

Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire Ron! Glad to have you. Hope you like yer coffee hot, black and strong. And tell the missus next time she abandons you somewhere to make it a big Rendezvous in the Rocky Mountains!!!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome from the Rocky Mountains

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post