Find
Notify
Tools

Join
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
Come on. Day after day I get on here and there are many guests and one member: me. Join and start writing of your experience in the hobby and some outragiously amusing stories. Some others and I entertained the members and guest for nearly two decades. Some have died, some just disappeared. I'm tired. I want to read some new talent. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, Leon.....1 member,12 visitors right now.......I'll talk to you, I'm just not that creative, nore experienced.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It seems like its not just here. Most talk forums that I visit seem to be drying up. Same thing with civic clubs and organizations. New people aren't joining. Volunteerism is down.

Why? Old members are tired and are dying off. Younger people aren't interested. Why?

I used to do some writing. I've had articles published in Spaniels In The Field, Backwoodsman, and Muzzleloader, and on this forum I had my tale of Captain Hiram Gale and the Whaleboat Wars. However, I've lost all enthusiasm for writing. Besides just being old I am so upset and disgusted with the political situation in this country that I just want to craw under a rock somewhere and "drop out". If it weren't for my wife and family I would definitely be a recluse.

I'll try to get motivated. I have an idea for a story set during the F&I War about a teenage boy who spends a winter hunting and trapping along with some others in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I could put that here on this forum. Interested?

Otherwise, I have at least two novels stuck in my head. One is set during the American Civil War, and the other is a modern day murder mystery. I'm just not motivated to start writing.

I've been bear and wild boar hunting for two days, so far. Now, though, after I finish my morning coffee, I'm going to spend today out on the Tennessee River fishing, and I will also check up on my deer blinds that are out that way.
Deer season will open in that area on Nov. 3rd.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Life just keep getting in the way sometimes!

This retirement is getting harder to deal with everyday and I'm seriously considering looking for a part time job just to get a decent days rest!!

I know there are some good story tellers as well as skilled craftsmen here that should step up and share their thoughts with us.

Keep the campfire going!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Having done a major move to Maine, getting the medical situation started and all the other stuff, I have missed posting for some periods of time. Can't do it every day but I am still here and post what I can.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
OK, Volatpluvia, here goes: When I got my first muzzleloader, a long time back, it was a CVA Kentucky kit, in .45 caliber. Wonderful shooter, and I spent a lot of tome with it. Weeeeell, I took it hunting for the first time, and my nephew and I camped in a great deer area, overnight. I loaded my rifle the night before the big day, right after oiling the barrel and not really wiping it all that dry. The next morning, we had breakfast in the tent, then sneaked out to a fairly deep draw close by. We knew deer cam along it fairly frequently. After a bit, we could hear dogs running some distance away far across a field next to us. As they got closer, we figured they were chasing a deer. I got all hunkered down behind a big tree, and waited. Pretty soon, a large doe barely made it over the fence, and came walking right by us. I leaned out for the shot, the cap popped-nothing. I sneaked back around the tree, put a new one on, and low-and-behold, she was just across the draw (maybe thirty feet or so) standing still and kind of panting, like she was really beat. I tried several more times to shoot, but just got that pop. When it did fire, it went puff, and I saw the ball hit the dirt under her feet. She just looked at me. I was so frustrated, I threw a rock at her, and she just ambled off. I couldn't be sure, but I'd swear she was snickering at the "mighty hunter". I know my nephew was cracking up.

Posts: 33 | Location: Bentonville, Arkansas | Registered: 26 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that was a good one.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Darrell,That sounds like something that might happen to me.... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rancocas being that I also am from Jersey, and now live in the Poconos, I'd be very interested.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I seldom post but visit the site often, so guilty as charged. I don't have the skills to post photos however I do enjoy seeing the work of the skilled folks. I sure can relate to Crossfox and retirement, I often wonder when I found time to work regular hours. If I could be granted another lifetime maybe I could finish some of the projects I have in mind. I will make an attempt to post more often as well as keep updates on the doings of The Ancient Ones of Maine. We all need to keep this site active.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Do not know how this happens,I signed in and have never signed off so I should show up every day.I come every day and check and if there is no postings I move on.Been quiet on here for a long period of time.Winter come early to Maine and is hanging on,snow, rain, cold wind,now the sun is out.Been so bad I did not go out once this year for Deer season and the M/L/ season goes to 8 Dec in my area,pulled the charge,cleaned and put the rifle away,fresh snow last night and yesterday and the deer walked right through my back yard,ate the garden and walked on. Trying to get motivated to do anything is near impossible.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
i have trying to login for months and i cant get in

Posts: 33 | Location: mo. ozarks | Registered: 02 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
It looks like you found your way, you are here. I check, very slow here .

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
1 member (me), and 9 visitors here right now.
Come on - sign up, join in, say something. There are plenty of categories to choose from.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post