Find
Notify
Tools

An old greenhorn
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of Muddy Dog
posted
Greetings to all, I'm from central Ohio and have been shooting for close to 60 years (Dad started me young). Been shooting blackpowder for 30 years now. Still learning some tricks too. I have a .45cal early Ohio style full length stock in curly maple with a Getz swamped barrel and Davis percussion lock and double set triggers. It's very accurate at 100 yds target shooting. Have not tried it deer hunting, but did scare a lot of ground hogs with it. Keep yur powder dry.

"Human beings will exert with extreme vigor their God-given right to be stupid." Muddy Dog

Posts: 33 | Location: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: 09 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
Muddy Dog, Welcome to the fire there Muddy, you will find a bunch of old geasers on here like youself( I been doing BP 40 years now) and a bunch of younger one too. We all have a lot of fun and enjoy the good company. and every once in awhile someone says something intellenget, and we learn new things.jump right in and get ye feet wet. Welcome ar4kansawwind

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire Muddy Dog! Lots of good guys around here to help you out. Very few questions you can ask that someone can't answer.

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Muddy Dog. Make yourself at home and join in on these discussions.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Muddy, An old greenhorn, huh? Well, that makes two of us! Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of WIND RIVER MAN
posted Hide Post
Welcome Muddy! I am one of the ones that are still wet behind the ears! This is a great place to be all have open tipis and mouths and most have open ears and minds! Hahaha all are friendly and helpful around this fire.
Wind River Man ...Back in the Mancos Valley!

Posts: 65 | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Some of us may be a bit long in the tooth but we are all young at heart. Questions welcome, and I bet someone will have an answer.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Muddy Dog
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

"Human beings will exert with extreme vigor their God-given right to be stupid." Muddy Dog

Posts: 33 | Location: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: 09 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Howdy Muddy, I'm a former Mid-Westerner...grew up in Illinois...and now live in Oregon. Haven't been back to that part of the country for quite some time but have had a hankerin' to see the old territory and maybe do some blackpowder events in the near future. It's funny ,while growing up I couldn't wait to get away from the mid-West, now I look forward to seeing it again. Go figure !!
Anyhow welcome to the fire.

Posts: 52 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Muddy Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limner:
Howdy Muddy, I'm a former Mid-Westerner...grew up in Illinois...and now live in Oregon. Haven't been back to that part of the country for quite some time but have had a hankerin' to see the old territory and maybe do some blackpowder events in the near future. It's funny ,while growing up I couldn't wait to get away from the mid-West, now I look forward to seeing it again. Go figure !!
Anyhow welcome to the fire.
Hiya limner, I know what ya mean about gett'n away from the mid-West. I joined the Navy right out of H.S. Went to Great Lakes, then to New York City, then to Newport News, VA. Through Panama Canal, to Long Beach, CA. Over to Subic Bay, P.I, Hong Kong,then to Vietnam (seven times) and Japan. Crossed the Pacific fourteen times. By the time I was 22 I couldn't wait to get back home. Be seeing ya around the camp.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Fire muddydog. Your description of yourself sounded quite close to my oun. Yup, over 30 years of burning smoke, a couple of trips to the Gulf of Tonkin.

Like yourself, I joined right out of H.S. too but only because I was holding my draft notice in one hand while I dialed up the Navy Recruiter with the other. Did I really say, "dialed up" wow that sure is old fashioned. I suppose it would be down right PC in some ccircles now wouldn't you say?

Welcome aboard.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post