New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi there!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Howdy! My name is Tom and I'm fairly new to the whole muzzleloader scene...so new I don't even have a black powder gun just yet. That's cool though, I will get it in due coarse.

I'm from Albany, GA and have done all kinds of living history, having started out doing Civil War Reenactment from ages 13-18 or so. I skipped out on getting my driver's license to fight the 125th Anniversary of the Battle of Atlanta. Too awesome, but I digress. After doing a stint in the Navy, I did the medieval thing for a while before politics put an end to that.

Last year, after attending a Frontier Festival here in town, I was enthralled. A bit of everything I loved about my past experiences. I made it back this year as a participant, though I was less that ideally ready. Now I want to push forward and get better kit for the period and maybe find some more Rendezvous around these parts and bring the family along.

Enough about me. I'm looking forward to learning from all the knowledgeable folks here and, in time, offer a bit of my own knowledge to new folks Smiler

Posts: 11 | Location: Albany, GA | Registered: 23 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire from the Scarhand household!

Mrs. Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom, Welcome to the Campfire and join us for more conversation often. You'll be discovering a lot of things and keep us posted on what you learn. We'll enjoy hearing about your progress. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
HI Tom, welcome to the fire, from your previous experience you pobably have a rough idea of what you need. I remeber my 1st rondyI made myself a shirt, pants, and mocs a buddy loaned me a hat, I did have a gun, had been shooting bp awhile. Even though I have been doing reinacting awhile now I still find stuff I need(want) and keep adding stuff. theres enough folks on here who know where the bargins are and how to do most anything. Do a little reading up and decide just what you want to protray. A lot of us here in the south do the eastyern longhunter theme. That will get you into most rondys, Sove of the juried events a picky but most arent. I am here in N E arkansas, and know of several events in this general. Dont knoe know how much time or money you have to travel though. Just pull on up to the fire and ask all you want( excepting borrowing money, most of spend every penny on our getup). answer back and tell us more again welcome. yours Arkansawwind

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome folks!

Arkansawwind, you nailed it on my past experience helping out. I know I've made some mistakes with my kit so far, but it got me through my first rondy.

As for persona, I'm leaning towards a ranger-type persona based in the Georgia colony around the time of the French & Indian war and just afterwards (though I do want to make a few adjustments for Rev War stuff). This is all tentative and therefore may go completely out the window later Big Grin

Posts: 11 | Location: Albany, GA | Registered: 23 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom, the french and indian and rev war period is a good one. A lot of the clothing used is adaptable for other periods ex front fall pants, or french front style if a person goes with knee britches he can add leggins for a later time period. the long pants cover at least 150 year time period, Shirts styles didnt change very much and can be used in a wide range of protrails. Do you have a gun yet. If you do go french and indian, a flint fowler or a 1777 french charliville would work. I just bought a french charllie from track o the wolf for a super good price for one . Go to trackofthewolf, they have a lot of stuff for all time periods, this will give a base for making your decisions, let us know how you progress Arkansawwind

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkansawwind:
Hi Tom, the french and indian and rev war period is a good one. A lot of the clothing used is adaptable for other periods ex front fall pants, or french front style if a person goes with knee britches he can add leggins for a later time period. the long pants cover at least 150 year time period, Shirts styles didnt change very much and can be used in a wide range of protrails.

That was kind of my thinking on that front as well. There's a lot that ties in with a few changes here and there to make it fit just fine...at least in theory Wink

quote:
Do you have a gun yet. If you do go french and indian, a flint fowler or a 1777 french charliville would work. I just bought a french charllie from track o the wolf for a super good price for one . Go to trackofthewolf, they have a lot of stuff for all time periods, this will give a base for making your decisions, let us know how you progress Arkansawwind

No gun yet. The wife is less than enthused with most of the prices for guns. For the record, I'm leaning towards a fowler, since that seems to be the most versatile choice as best I can tell.

I'm very familiar with Track of the Wolf. In fact, they've got a knife that may well be showing up on my doorstep in the not to distant future Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Tom; welcome to the Fire. Glad to hear you had a good time at the festival. Next you'll have to attend a rendezvous. Maybe you can find a muzzleloader club and shoot at their monthly shoots. OK, I know, you'll just have to get a muzzleloader so you can join their fun.

So you did the medievial thing. Well come ahead a few centuries but not all the way forward. Bring your wife and other family member too. My family loves rondys and my wife is one heck of a camp fire cook.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Welcome Tom, I am originally from GA, Marietta, Kennesaw. I too was a CW re-enactor(age 13-15). You are going to love this!!! Jim

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Glad to have you with us, Tom. I'm originally from Ga, myself. Make yourself at home around the campfire and join in on the discussions.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Welcome Tom,
I started out in the early seventies with a Thompson Center Hawken kit and a Bowie knife that I had ground myself out of a German Meat cleaver.
Jeremiah Johnson was the most realistic thing I had ever seen and then there wasn't the information that is available to newcomers nowadays.
Back then if you had talked about checking out the internet, people would think you were peeping through ladies bedroom windows. Now the internet is a jewel of information as is Scurlock Publishing and other suppliers of equipment and knowledge.
It is a great adventure you are embarking on. It is the most family friendly sport in the world, so bring the missus and chillens along.

Hugh

never been lost, mighty confused for a month or three but never lost

Posts: 59 | Location: british columbia | Registered: 13 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post