New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Y'all Are?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I live in the foothills of the Wahsatch Range and have been muzzleloading for over 40 years. I used to build them but hands will no longer tolerate engraving. No more Mt Man type clubs, rendezvous, etc. around here these days, but I do what I can. Just ordered a new flintlock - being patient and in no hurry.
Hunter Education Teacher for 25 years; Patron Member of NRA; NRA instructor for several areas and range officer. Work part time at Sportsman's Warehouse, also teach handloading there.
Authored several articles for various magazines; currently writing book on the hunting way of life.
Searching everywhere for a .525 round ball mould!
Take Care -

Posts: 17 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: 03 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Welcome, glad to have you around. Sounds like you got a ton of knowledge to offer.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Yeller Knife. Expect a lot of questions coming your way as you are very experienced.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hanshi. I feel very welcome here, already found out some great info myself (source for .525 moulds), and have been honored to meet a couple of good guys.

Posts: 17 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: 03 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Walking Eagle (Akita mani yo Wambli). I feel as though returning home.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire Yeller Knife.

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Welcome to campfire! I live just north of you in Idaho, where they recently made hunting a constitutional right.

I also know that there's a redezvous in Ogden Easter weekend, co-sponcered by the city of Ogden. I occasionally go to it, and I know of some other rendezvous in Idaho and Utah that may not be that far from you.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks - appreciate your reply. Yes, the fort Buenaventura rendezvous is in Ogden; I was on the original crew that re-errected the fort on the same corners as the original. That fort burned down and a later crew rebuilt it. However, it's not really a rendezvous these days since the city and the county got into making money out of it, but rather a sort of fair with vendors selling jewelry, face painting, fry bread, cotton candy, global warming awareness, etc. There are areas set aside (alongside) for "mountain men" but I don't believe they wore cowboy boots, tenny runners, levis, and T-shirts in the early 1800s!
I absolutely LOVE Idaho - wish I lived there. Maybe someday...

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that redezvous have become more a tourist attraction these days than a true representation of what redezvous where for or like. And there are people who attend the whole event in modern clothing and in RV's, and people not interested in doing it right at all. And clubs are just interested in shoots, and aren't doing anything toward educating the public.

We have a replica fort here and when they ask the local club for demonstrations they show up with displays of modern beadwork and a few guns, and just stand there.

We need to get people together to form a club with rules somewhere between these shooting only clubs and the American Mountain Man Assoc. rules.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I would like to see something like that also. At the same time, I encourage folks like us to attend these tourism events, even volunteer as a reenactor or something, and talk to folks and maybe get a few interested.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
With 150th anniversary of Idaho becoming a territory, I'll be at the Fort Hall replica a lot more than usual this year, including helping make a new introductory video. The lady in charge has already asked me. Smiler

Scarhand

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Scarhand. I'll have to look that up. It's hard getting out. My wife has cancer and end-stage renal failure so we do chemo and dialysis 4 days out of each week. Even so, I'll see what I can do. Her brother lives in Idaho and I was talking to him about how great it would be to live there.
Take care - yk