New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello in the Camp!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I've been interested in the Mountain Man/Fur Trade era since I first saw "Jeremiah Johnson" way back when I was a pup. Been lurking in the shadows here for a bit and would like to join in to pick the brains of some very knowledgable folks. Currently have a T/C Hawken .50 cal and would like to pickup a Lyman GPR in .54.
Drifterdon

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 18 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
welcome,,coffee is on

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to fire Drifterdon.

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Howdy! Pull up a log! =D

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
So this greenhorn has a question as to who makes the best nipple wrench? I have a Traditions wrench that snapped when I tried to remove nipple from my T/C Hawken. Need one that is durable and won't break under normal use.

Thanks for the welcome and hot coffee.

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 18 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Check with Track of the Wolf. They have several types.

Welcome to the board!

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to camp. The coffee's hot and the tales are being spun.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Fire, Drifterdon. The TC Hawken and the Lyman Great Plains are both good rifles. My wife competed with one for a number of years. I've hunted with a Lyman GP for way to many years before I switched to a rocklock.

A 54 Lyman GP loaded with 90 gr of 2Fg and a .530 RB can drop deer like a sledge hammer. Mine had even earned the name, "Thor".

What's also nice is that both rifles are welcome at most primitive or mountain doins'.

Anyway, welcome to the Fire.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello all. Been away for a spell but lots has changed. Finally got my GPR in .54 and man is she a tack driver. Love that rifle.

I've been bitten so bad by the black powder bug that I've since bought and built a Traditions Hawken style rifle and the Traditions Kentucky pistol. Both are .50 cal percussion. I just finished off a Lyman Plains Pistol in .54 which I also built from a kit. Love the looks of that gun.

In an effort to broaden my black powder experience, I've also acquired a Cabelas .50 cal flintlock. Still got a long way to go with this one.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Hi DrifterDon, it sounds like your affliction is progressing quite well along this path of black powder and smoke! When you mentioned that your last acquisition was a flintlock, I realized that you are now entering the point of no return. The learning adventure that it takes to master the flintlock will never end for you or any one of us poor soul's! We gather here together at this site of mutual sufferer's and share in our tales of woe. he he he .....sorry, I've been reading Poe again. Good to hear back from you Drifterdon!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cranbrook. I was afraid that there was no cure!
This greenhorn has lots of learnin to do.

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Welcome back and nice to meet you

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome to The State of Greenhorndom!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome from the Rocky Mountains.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post