Find
Notify
Tools

Hello the Fire!
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted
Hello the fire! Sure could use a cup of that coffee I've been smellin' since back yonder a ways! Y'all can call me Turkey Creek cuz that's where my Misses and I have our homestead; on Turkey Creek what drains into the Cimarron River a couple hunnerd miles down from where ole Jedediah Smith went under back in '31. Just a couple things about myself; I love my Savior, my wife, my kids, granddaughter and my country. I love huntin, all guns but especially traditional muzzleloaders, coffee, campfires and my Bighorn Mountains where we lived for 11 years. My wife and I are fiercely independent but believe it is not only our right but our duty to vote and have a say in what takes place in this grand nation. I also believe it ain't natural for a feller to not be able to step out his back door and shoot! Two kids, one being a daughter what's married with one daughter; the other being a son that after 4 years as a Gunner's Mate in the USN is now putting his GI bill to great use by attending gunsmithing school at Murray State College down in the southern part of this state. Having said all that, I don't talk much but might have a question or comment from time to time. Lookin' forward to just sittin' around this campfire and drinkin' coffee with y'all.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, TurkeyCreek; and yes, there's coffee hot and ready for the tired and weary. This is a great country without a doubt; the government, not so much.

What MLs do you like to shoot? We like to share information around this camp without being too nosy....or not.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Howdy Hanshi. Don't mind at all telling you what I shoot. I shoot a .54 flint fullstock "Hawkin" that I built 30 years ago from a Pecatonica River parts kit. Hunting load is .530 PRB on top of 110 grains of 2F Goex and it shoots plumb center as far as these 60 year old eyes can get a good sight picture. I also have a .54 Uberti halfstock Hawkin that some guy put together from a kit and didn't hardly do anything except round the sharp edges off the stock and brown the barrel. I rescued it and finished shaping the stock, case hardened the lock, filled in the holes where he drove in 'Indian' tacks and made a nice gun out of it. Now I just got a parts kit from TOTW for a .62 Northwest Trade Gun but can't start on this build until I finish the dining room remodel for the Missus. And after hunting season! I've learned two things in life, those being a happy wife is a happy life, and the worst day of hunting is better than...well...anything else! And of course a 40 hour work week is slowing me down some too. It'll be a couple of years yet before I can get shut of THAT nonsense!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
And that would be "Hawken", not "Hawkin! Typing this at work and had a mental lapse there for a minute. That's the best excuse I can come up with at the moment for making that faux pas.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm a longrifle fan since I got my first flinter some 50 years ago. Pryor to that I shot underhammers. You're right on about old eyes and my near 70 year old eyes have seen their better days.

I don't build like you do; someone else has to do that job for me. Get your chores done and then go to the woods. Wink

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome Turkey Creek,I'm new to this form of shooting,don't know a lot about much of anything,but I don't let that keep me quiet.Looking forward to learning from you as well as everyone else here.....*slurp* Big Grin

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire, and sounds like you got the right fixin's....hope to here more....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome Gents! I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the late seventies and there is a big heap I still have to learn. Been readin' this forum for a couple of months now and see that there are a lot of folks here that I can learn from. Glad to be sittin' around the fire with y'all. One thing I HAVE learned in all that time; if it don't stink when I pull the trigger it ain't got no character! Now I'm jist goin' to fill my coffee cup and listen to y'all yarn for awhile.

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Turkey Creek.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Welcome in ole coon,sure hope you like your coffee stout, Eeker

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Shore do Mtnmike! Jist throw some more grounds in the pot and shove it closer to the fire!

Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
Welcome TurkeyCreek!

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome from the Rocky Mountains.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post