New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howdy
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I am new to this site and muzzleloaders. I have been reading posts and drooling over pictures for a couple of months. My muzzle loader magazine subscription began in November, and I noticed an advertisement for Alafia River Rondevous. It sounded like fun, so last weekend I went out for one of the days it was open to the public. Wow! I had no idea this sort of thing was going on. It was much larger and more involved than I imagined. Everyone I met was friendly and welcoming. What a great experience. It did leave me a little overwhelmed.
A question for you out there reading this.
Where or how did you begin?

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida | Registered: 01 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of oneblanket
posted Hide Post
welcome to the fire Don W i snuck in to the movies to see Jeremiah Johnson when I was 13 got grounded for a month for it cause my brother told on me but I have been hooked ever sence

fire away and fall back

Posts: 484 | Location: virginia | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Don W. This is the place to be. If you want an ML you can get all the info you need from around the campfire. I will warn you, however, muzzleloading is addictive.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Don,
You've asked a tough question. Even back in the 20s and 30s there were folks shooting muzzleloading guns--they were just the originals. The big boom, so to speak, probably came in conjunction with the Bicentennial in the 70s, though Civil War reenactors have been around a bit longer.
Probably the Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone TV shows done by Disney in the 50s had as much to do with it as anything, though. And then there was Jeremiah Johnson and the Mountain Men, as movies, and more recently The Patriot; probably Master and Commander and the Sharpe series from the Brits haven't hurt either.
Now you can find more accurately-styled replicas or recreations of guns, clothing, tents, equipment, etc. than has ever been before. Shop carefully! If you just have to get started right away, get a Thompson Center, Pedersoli, Traditions, or some other modern side-lock muzzleloader, a period-correct shirt, a hat, and the stuff to load and shoot the gun, and you're ready to go. As you get more knowledge and experience, you may want to settle on a specific time period or region, and that will determine future purchases of guns and equipment. Involve your family if you can, too!

Have fun,

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Don, I'll have to check with Scarhand when he gets home from work, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't any movie or Disney show that him into this. I think he blames the Scouts mostly, though his father had a lot to do with that.

Mrs. Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
DICK!, you furgot to tell the feller to get britches! a guy show up at a rondy without any they will be a callin him two moons for sure. You can get you a pair of drop front birtches, either buy them or make them youself (mabey your wife would if she sews). A lot of us make our own stuff Yes I do my own sewing, another go to a hobby lobby store for about 15 dollars you can get a moccisan kit that will get you by. Study up get a simple basic kit and the you can expand as you need to and your interest dicttates. welcome arkansawwind

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome. My wife and I both sew and make many of our own household items. I will try to find some patterns and look at more books for some ideas.

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida | Registered: 01 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkansawwind:
DICK!, you furgot to tell the feller to get britches! a guy show up at a rondy without any they will be a callin him two moons for sure. arkansawwind

Wellllll, I didn't actually forget that, although there's nothing wrong with a breechcloth if you're skinny enough (I don't want to think about a breechcloth on the wrong frame!) Eeker
What I should have said, however, is that a pair of corduroy jeans or Carharts would do for a little while, if he wears his new shirttails OUT so the fly and pockets are hidden. But you're right! A pair of drop-fronts can easily be had, and for not too much money, either.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
Welcome to site Don Smiler

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire. A lot of fine fellows and Gals here.

Posts: 219 | Location: n.e. ohio | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
Yup, lots of fine fellas here. Then there are a few like me....

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Diana
posted Hide Post
welcome to the Campfire Don.

Posts: 364 | Location: Muzzleloader magazine | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You've already started. You've attended a rondy and you're logged onto this site.

Next step, to heck sith the briches, get a gun. You can always go necked' wearing blue jeans till you have time to make better.

I was shooting muzzleloaders for 10 years before I had a chance to attend a rondy. Then everything changed. I needed to be in primitive garb at the rondy I was going to attend so I had to get busy. I had a good friend sew up a pair of pants and a coat from a wool blanket. I had a hat but nest were mocks. I bought a cheap capote from a vender at a doin's and ordered a pair of cheap mocks. The capote filled a gap but a few years later I bought a good Whitney capote. I finally bought a good pair of mocks and used them for over 10 years but due to age and falling arches, I can only wear them for an hour or so. I only use them for presentation any more.

Well anyway, welcome to the Fire. I'l be looking for your beginner's questions. feel free to ask this group questions. A word of warning, some answers will be helpful and some will be less so, depending on you're point of view. You may even meet some "Pullers", Those who will pull your leg. Big Grin

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Welcome Don, Like Oneblanket in the early seventies I saw Jeremiah Johnson and was hooked. I got myself a Thompson Center kit and built it on the kitchen table. I was newly married and could get away with that kind on nonsense. If I tried that now the next thing I would see is my bedroll getting thrown out onto the back porch where I would be living until I civilized up a bit.
I got out of the ronnyvoo scene in the early eighties but am getting the bug again.
I would recommend reading all you can get your paws on. Scurlock has excellent books available as well as muzzleloader magazine. Dixie Gunworks has a good selection also.
Across the Wide Missouri by Bernard DeVoto is a good start for history of the western furtrade as is Wah-to Yah and the Taos Trail. If you prefer eastern style Mark Bakers books a Pilgims Journey 1 and 2 as well as the Books of Buckskinning(Scurlock Publishing)and the excellent books by Ted Franklin Belue The Long Hunt and The Hunters of Kentucky (Stackpole Books).
Perhaps some others can jump in with their favorites.

Hugh

never been lost, mighty confused for a month or three but never lost

Posts: 59 | Location: british columbia | Registered: 13 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post