Find
Notify
Tools

keeping busy and learning
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
i have just got into knife making and sheaths

made 6 skinners fleashers and 1 bowie type with large deer antler handle brass hilt

Posts: 33 | Location: mo. ozarks | Registered: 02 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Do you have a mentor, or are you learning by trial and error yourself?

I have a small file laying on my workbench that I'm wanting to make into a skien due (spelling?) type dagger. Once the weather warms enough to work comfortably out in the barn, and I get off my lazy butt.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think it's spelled skean dubh. Don't ya love Gaelic?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
just learning by my self ive done several knives now and 1 battle axe

Posts: 33 | Location: mo. ozarks | Registered: 02 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
How about some photos?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
One of the things I'm regretting in my senior years is not getting into making a knife or two.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly McDowell:
One of the things I'm regretting in my senior years is not getting into making a knife or two.

I think the world is grateful that I NEVER did get into it. I'm a world class klutz.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
To make a knife from a file, do you heat the file red hot and destroy the temper in order to grind it to shape, then temper it again?
Or, do you just grind it to shape without heating it?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I think at my age if I try to make a knife, I'll either injure my hands or burn down the garage. I'll just keep buying the one's I see and like.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post