New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to the fold.
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I'm dipping my toes back into black powder after a several year absence. I was a long time subscriber to Muzzleloader from the mid to later 80's until the middle of 2010 and had almost all the back issues that were available back to the beginning. I pretty much got out of it during 2008 and have just now been going through the issues I have between then and 2010, none of which had gotten read. I'm retiring at the end of the month from my full time job and for some reason the force has awakened again. :-) I never really got too far into the black powder/buck skinning world except for devouring every ML magazine as soon as I received it and have all the Buck skinning books along with several others in my library. I did get into and was active as a CW reenactor
and still am to a degree and I dipped into F&I and RevWar but never went any farther except going to many reenactments and rendevous' as a spectator. I do have an 1853 Enfield and also a Brown Bess and some clothing and a couple horns and pouches. Anyway, this is dragging so will close for now. I have looked up a couple of local clubs and will try contacting them soon. I'm also looking at another gun as a retirement present for myself. More on that in the Firearms section. Glad to see Mike Nesbitt is still writing and I miss Mark Baker. A subscription is probably coming very soon. Thanks for many years of great articles and stories and I hope it will continue for years to come.

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: 28 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome back.Where are you at?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, setafo1. Stay with it this time around and don't let your fever cool.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Welcome back.Where are you at?

Thank you. I'm in NE PA.

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: 28 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Welcome back.
I too stepped away for a couple years, life has a way of shifting priorities, but eventually found the path back. I really like the appeal and romance of the traditionally crafted side lock, as well as the assorted accompanying gear, although its caps for me. My love lyes in shooting and hunting, and not reenacting.
Enjoy your retirement, and congratulations.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome, and glad to have you as one of us...

One of us

One of us

One of us

Big Grin

Hey if you haven't seen it Mr. Baker's columns are now available in two volumes from Scurlock publishing.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Walkingeagle and LD. Yes, in fact I have volume one and also volume one. :-) I got them for Christmas a short time before I changed priorities. I've been meaning to sell one of them to raise money for volume two. I know my parents got me one and don't remember who got the other. Another reason for family members to coordinate a bit.

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. Hopefully, you will really get addicted to the smoke, flame and comforting CRACK! of a fine flinter (or one of those new-fangled caplock things).

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you MountainRanger, that's what my wife is dreading. Roll Eyes

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome from the Rocky Mountains

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you.