New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Ol'France !
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hello everyone! I am not a hunter! I'm not a reenactor ..... I am only a modest shooter who loves muzzle-loading! but fortunately you made ​​me dream! thank you
(And a special thanx to Hanshi)

can you skin griz pilgrim ?

Posts: 3 | Location: over the pond | Registered: 15 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Glad to have you at the fire!

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Bienvenue sur le feu de camp.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
HIYA! Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Pilgrimy, you're one of a kind and deserve was born to be a member of the muzzleloading cohort. Make smoke, my friend.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Fire!....Hope you have better luck finding black powder than I have....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
thank you for your welcome, I will try to be worthy of this community !
@Boartooth: no probs fer thee BP in ol'France !
ya can move from Oreegun to my area !!...lol

Posts: 3 | Location: over the pond | Registered: 15 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hi, Sorry you have such a tough time obtaining true black powder.Here, in N. W. Arkansas, I go to the Arkansas State Muzzleloading Shoot at Berryville, Arkansas, which is only fifty miles from my house, and there is a dealer there, where I can buy several types and grades of black powder. I usually get several pounds of Swiss powder, and some Goex. It helps me maintain twenty-five pounds at all times. Wish you were here, I'd take you.

Posts: 33 | Location: Bentonville, Arkansas | Registered: 26 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words of sympathy,I'm trying to get started in muzzleloaders and ,after due diligence,I decided on a flintlock...Well,apparently flintlocks have a hard time of it with the substitutes,and the mountain man groups that put on rondy's don't allow substitutes anyway.All of which would be fine with me except no one for about 6 hours of driving time sells it,and getting it by mail requires buying a minimum amount that I just can't fund right now.So,I'll keep saving my pennies....Oh yeah,none of the local shooters even has a pound to sell,or trade so I could get started.Dunno,maybe I'm not talking to the right people,or something.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hiya. Are you actually in the country of France? If so, what town? I can look up on the 'net, to see the closest place for you to get your shootin' stuff. Also, the "mountain men" of your aquaintance need to be aware that flintlocks were used by the very vast majority of the beaver trappers in this country (AKA mountain men) used flintlocks up until the beaver trade was falling off, in the 1840's. I have both caplock and flintlocks, and prefer the flinters, as we reenact the mid-18th century, here.

Posts: 33 | Location: Bentonville, Arkansas | Registered: 26 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Also, the caplocks were not invented until around 1820, or so, and did not come into wide use until AFTER 1840 or therabouts.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Darrel !
I'm in the north east France near the german border !
i shot with an Indian trade musket (pedersoli) but my favourite is a .54 jaeger (caplock) (also pedersoli)i'm not a hunter ! only a range shooter !

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm the one that has been having trouble finding shooting type powder,and not BP substitute,just the Holy Black itself.....everyone and their sister sells the substitute.I'm gonna try pyrodex as soon as I can get my wife to let have a day off from the garden,but I'm still gonna need the real stuff anyway.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm in southern Oregon......My Mother-in-Law was raised in a small french town near Switzerland called Et Tu....Don't worry though,I won't hold it against you that you share a nationality... Wink