New
Find
Notify
Tools

TYPE OF LEAD BULLET SO TO SAY
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
What have you people been sing in a muzzle loader aside from round balls. ????
But lets include round balls in this conversation.
Anyone using rifle slugs, pointed bullets etc.
Lets go people give up the info.
The time is at hand and the world is in collapse.
The only thing that is going to be worth anything is
WATER , FOOD, SEED AND LEAD

Posts: 27 | Location: Canada 46n14 63w07 | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The prb is king and the most effective ML projectile over a range of uses. Uses less lead, too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this.
Greenhorn you label me.
PRB??????????????
Population Reference Bureau
Permeable Reactive Barrier
Pharmaceutical Resources Branch
Give me a break

Posts: 27 | Location: Canada 46n14 63w07 | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Sorry I think I'm in the wrong camp fire.
I'm out of here

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ugotit: No, I don't belive you're in the wrong Campfire. I hate secret codes too.

What else would any sane person want to launch from a pre Civi War muzzleloader besides a round ball?

That being said, there are several other options under certain circumstances.

Most of the muzzleloader hunters who are hunting elk in my neck of Washington State use the Mazi ball bore elk hunting.

If one happends to shoot one of the Civi War rifle muskets, then one of the many Mini balls is often used.

Those who take on special interests such a slug guns and other special interest type muzzleloaders, than they use what they beleive to be the best bullet for that particular gun.

If you're refering to the ultra modren In-lines, you are then truly at the wrong campfire. As Hanshi put it, the lead round ball (LRB) is king.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello White Finger.
Thank you for the replies and info, a little late but great.
==================================
First Hansi wrote PRB ??? not LRB
He should have gotten back to me in any case even if it was a typo.
I just joined, so have to catch up on the lingo.
===================================
Second I took the barrel by the horns so to say yesterday,
and made my own projectile.
I took 4) rifled slugs out of 12 gauge plastic rounds
Made a re-sizer on the later to size it down to .690 my barrel
bore is .694
I'm a gun smith on hand guns , rifles, CO2, some shot guns, never muzzle loaders.
Last rear did proof a Brownbess and a Blunderbuss for a friend.
==============================
Third the stock and rifle was headed to the grave.
Birminham stock and barrel,
Stock needed wood work and glue.
Barrel I put in my lathe, emry and wet sanded it, honed the bore.
Cleaned up the lock and port spark hole and added a new nipple.
The action I got from a gun smith friend old and rusty,
says Glucester on it.
The hammer I ( forged ) from a flat plate of steel and a a round rod.
=====================================
I put 60 grn of ( FFF ) and the rifled slug in yesterday. for a test run. No sights.
Today I put in 73 grn of ( FFF ) same type rifled slug
Free stand shooting.
=========================================
Will put a Mauser sight on it when it gets here from ebay
See video's on you tube.
========================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...index=2&feature=plcp

=====================================================================================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...index=1&feature=plcp

======================================================================================
Thanks again
Cheers. Smiler

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
If you look close you can see the Captain Morgan bottle flying into oblivion

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'm not from the old school or fond of round ball.
I prefer a rifled round or rifled barrel.
That's just my preference.
Power and accuracy is the order of the day.
Cheers
Notice Captain Morgan bottle. LOL Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome. I hope that you stick around. You can learn a lot about muzzleloading here.

You're in the right forum, but you're not in the right section for this topic. No big deal.

Anyway, I don't think anyone answered your question on what is "PRB". That is simply short for "Patched Round Ball".

This forum is mainly about pre 1840 doings, and so although conical bullets were known in those times, they were not in common use.
We are mainly round ball shooters here. Some of us won't use anything else, however some others do.
Just don't use any foul words such as "in-line".

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ugotit; Most of us have a great appreciation for rifled barrels. I have but one smoothbore, the Northwest trade gun that I use for the trade gun trail walk at rendezvous and grouse hunting. I hope to one day take a deer with it after I take a deer with my 54 cal. rocklock rifle.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've taken 9 deer with 54 cal muzzleloader rifles.

You stated; "Power and accuracy is the order of the day." That sounds like a pre-requisite to hunting and shooting at rendezvous. The rondy's are all about accuracy and hunting is all about power. To see what so many shooters do at rondy shows one what muzzleloaders can truly do.

Two of my muzzlelaoders, a 54 cal Sharon Gun Barrel Hawkin and a 45 cal flintlock long rifle have both printed 1 1/8" groups at 100 yds several times. I'm so much older with poorer eyesight now that I can't repeat that but that's the shooter and not the guns. That's better than some of my breech loaders can do. Oh, and by the way, it was done with round balls at 100 yds.

If you need to sqease those shotgun slugs down to fit your bore, so be it. Hay, it works, it shoots, and it pokes a hole in the target. That's what counts. Once you play with the powder charge, you'll probably get some rather interesting groups. All the more fun, keep shooting. That's what this sport is all about.

Keep in touch.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
PRB looked so much like, well let's see, lead is PB and RB is round ball, so let's make a stab at this and call it a lead round ball, (LRB). So I made a wrong stab and it was Patched Pound Ball. This is a normal procedure when people have to guess what codes are trying to tell them.

I hate seret codes. The people I work with are continually reminded of this because they love to use accronimes and I feel it is a way of excluding the public and refuse to be a part of it. I also refuse to memorise the secret codes.

You are the perfect case in point. You didn't know what they were talking about becasue you din't know the secret code. I rest my case and rant no more.

Load fast and aim slow.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well guys thank you for all the feed back appreciated.
Let m say I'm no young pup.
43 years a vegetarian.
I do not need to kill to eat.
If I have to kill it will be for survival.
Any animal 4 legged or 2 legged or no legs at all. I do not hunt for the sport of it either.
That's just me guys and girls if there is any out there
I decided to try my hand and learn about muzzle loading. Not for bringing down a deer or for target shooting, just for the experience of learning, how they function.
Aerodynamics have it that a projectile rifled by itself or rifled after leaving the rifled barrel is more accurate then a round ball.
One must know there tools to get the most out of it. Be it a knife, saw blade, etc.
So if I have to put a picatini rail on this baby
a flash light, red dot scope, Holographic sight what ever to make it function to the utmost so be it.
I'm sorry I'm not really into the nostalgia of
of these old rifle.
Thanks again

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
OK
SO WHAT IS THE RIGHT SECTION I SHOULD BE IN ????

Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
Hi ugotit, the firearms and gunsmithing sections would work well foe what you are interested in, and tall tales for a catchall section. Like you I am a gunsmith (retired) my health doesnt aloow me to do as I once did. Also like you I have extensive experience with modern firearms, but I have also done a lot of work with muzzleloaders , I can relate to you with your whatever works philisophy. Up untill 5 years ago when I was forced into retirement I was strictly a hunter both modern and muzzleloader. and still am a long range auccracy nut. many of my custom .308 varmet rifles are in the hands of our area police marksmen and swat team members. I built and sold them at my cost to try and help the small PD units have quality equipment as economically as possible. Now I am retired cant hunt much anymore so I do living history reinacting. There are a lot of us switch hitters on this forum Ie modernand muzzleloading, But we DO restrict our correspondence to the pre 1840 blackpowder format as set up by our webmaster. Hang in with us we will all get to know one another better. I believe you will be glad you toughed it out during you early growing pains. It good to have you fellows from canada with us you all are always welcome. So bud shoot low they are riding shetland ponies he haw. yours arkansawwind

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Happy 4th of July
A bang for you people
Home made Fowler type slug.
Made from a modified 308 mold.
454 gn
Using FFFg 75 gn
Watch video if interested
=====================================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...index=1&feature=plcp

============================

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aerodynamics have it that a projectile rifled by itself or rifled after leaving the rifled barrel is more accurate then a round ball.
Just to ensure there's no misunderstanding, PRBs (Patched Round Balls) are indeed normally shot out of rifled bores.
The patch material is wedged into the grooves and transfers the rifling twist rotation to the snug fitting ball, giving it the stabilization it needs for accuracy.

PRBs can provide excellent single ragged hole accuracy at 50 yards and couple inch groups at 100...the typical ranges for which muzzleloaders and PRBs were originally designed.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Also it should be noted that the Brenneke and Foster type slugs, although they have angled ribs on the exterior of the projectile, do not spin as they fly when fired from a smooth bore barrel. The Brenneke slug has the wad attached to the slug, and this acts as drag which stabilizes the slug through the air just as a kite's tail keeps it oriented in flight. A Foster slug, being sort of cup shaped, and flying bottom first, has a center of gravity due to the hollow based portion, and due to air friction and balance, keep it oriented in flight.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you
I already did my home work and will carry on with my slug designed mold which I just modified this morning. Smiler
================================
A Foster slug, invented by Karl Foster in 1931, is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired through a smooth bore shotgun barrel.
The standard American domestic shotgun slug,
they are sometimes referred to as "American slugs" to differentiate them from the standard "European slug" design popularized by Brenneke.
The defining characteristic of the Foster slug is the deep hollow in the rear, which places the center of mass very near the tip of the slug, much like a shuttlecock or a pellet from an airgun. If the slug begins to tumble
in flight, drag will tend to push the slug back into straight flight.
Some thing like bad-mitten.
This gives the Foster slug stability and allows for accurate shooting through smooth bore barrels out to ranges of about 75 yards (69 m).
Most modern Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug.
Contrary to popular belief, these fins actually impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air.
The actual purpose of the fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It appears you have all the information needed to experiment with slugs. It is correct to think of slugs in a smoothbore as "darts" as that is how they behave in flight.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post