New
Find
Notify
Tools

tipi poles
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
does anyone know if oak has been used for tipi poles?I know my old poles are lodgepole pine,but after thirty years are getting wore out.We don't have lodgepole pine in our woods on our land,but we have an abundance of straight narrow oak.Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 10 | Location: edwards,mo | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
The weight of oak would be a setback for certain,wouldn't want to have to set a tipi up to many times IMHO

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I agree with mtnmike. I think the oak would be too heavy. Last time I checked, which was a while back, a new set of poles for an 18' wasn't to bad. Freight has really got out of sight though.

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Panhandle, North of the Canadian | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I took the weight into consideration,but will check around for some slightly used.Thanks for the feedback

Posts: 10 | Location: edwards,mo | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, rustytrap.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post