New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for sum off grid property
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Heres what i plan on doin building a small cabin tiny house with reclaimed lumber or logs on property hunt fish and trap on or near property small garden and get to town 1-2 times a month water from spring or creek nearby or just a tank to fill and a composting toilet ive got the knowledge and skill lived alone most of my 45 yrs so that doesnt bother me. Iwould like to find property in NC ID GA

Posts: 12 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 31 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it, you might check out property in far SW Virginia. Someplace convenient to Wytheville. Good club there (Wilderness Road Muzzleloaders) and there are places between there and Bristol where you could find your little piece of heaven.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks ill look into it

Posts: 12 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 31 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Kind of a contrast between GA, ID. Grew up here in ID and spent a lot f time in GA. Obviously I'm prejudice but I would point you toward living in Idaho. From deserts to mountains. Hot Summers and cold Winters, we've got heaven, in my humble opinion. I'm shore everyone else feels the same about their home.
Not sure what you'll find here but here is a link to a place that I look up when searching for property. Good luck, sounds like you want to live my dream.
http://www.landsofidaho.com/

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I grew up in Central California.It was ok,but I got chased out by sleezeball politics.Now I live in Oregon,love having 4 seasons.Very similar to Southern Idaho.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm a Ga native born and bred and only immigrated to Va. 8 or so years ago. I lived in Ga for 62 years and that's what I was accustomed to. Except for the mountains, Ga only has three seasons: summer, almost summer and spring. Even in the piedmont (middle region) of N.E. Ga., I've hunted in 80 degree late Novembers. There are occasional freezes or ice storms but about all year is t-shirt weather. Go down to South Ga. and it is jungle. The heat, humidity, bugs, thigh thick diamondbacks, big gators, wild hogs, bear and deer. I loved it but my wife had enough so we came to Va. There, you can be all alone and isolated and still be only 25 miles from a small town. Just gotta learn to love the gator swamps.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
forgot to mention but we are moving to Maine. Now, nobody lives in Maine so wherever you are in Maine, you are isolated. But HECK! No diamondbacks, gators, hogs, bugs 'cept flies and cold winters. Ga. is much more buggier than Florida and you have to experience it to understand just how bad it can be. In other words, all the fun is taken out. And in Ga. you will immediately become familiar with fire ants.

So I highly recommend Ga. as a place to "get away to".

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Galen, Hayesville NC, western Carolina Mountains NC/GA border area..1-828-361-9115 ?? off grid log cabin Passive solar heat/water,solar electric,compost toilet Grey water system, 3 wooded acres 2 miles to town.Needs finish work?????Don't know any more about it listed in a local trade Mag.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hanshi: Great move!! Look up The Ancient Ones of Maine. Looking to meet you.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've thought about this sort of thing much myself over the years. Unfortunately, my wife wants the convenience of a nearby town. Oh well, I think that we all have to make some compromises in life.

Actually, there are plenty of places where you can go "off grid" to live. Although I don't see your connection between two southern States and Idaho.

Anyway, my personal first consideration is politics. I won't live in any State that puts serious restrictions on the 2nd Amendment. Next is taxes and cost of living. They eliminate several States from my list. After that I would consider the weather. Now that I'm old I no longer like a lot of snow and cold. Fairly good hunting and fishing are also on my list of requirements.

I have a few other things on my personal list of criteria, but you have to come up with your own list of what is important to you. Then, go there and make a good scout before you decide on any final action.

It takes quite a lot of research to do it right.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Jerolmon:
Hanshi: Great move!! Look up The Ancient Ones of Maine. Looking to meet you.

I certainly will. Now, where do you live in Maine?

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Galen check out central PA. Sproul State Forest in the middle of the state is one of the biggest wilderness areas east of the Missisippi.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I live in Vassalboro and have a camp in Sebec. The Ancient Ones Site is in Canton. All three areas are rural without being totally remote. The further North you go the properties get cheaper and employment gets harder to find.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Great info thanks im workin on sum leads now