Find
Notify
Tools

Hello From Austin, TX
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hello,

I thought I should take a moment to introduce myself. Although new here, I have been shooting muzzleloaders for 30 years. It all began back in 1984 when I helped a friend in college move a lot of heavy equipment over a weekend. He paid me by giving me an old, beat up H&A underhammer and a bullet mold. The stock was cracked, the nipple threads worn out, and the barrel was rough. So, I glued the stock back together, put in an oversized nipple, and lived with the rough barrel. It wasn’t pretty, but I could keep it on paper. It was an ideal rifle for a dirt poor college student. Powder and caps were cheap, I got my lead for free, and there was a free shooting range in the local state park.

Over the years, the gun became unusable, but I could never bring myself to throw it away since the friend who gave it to me passed away. I finally took the time to restore it, putting on a new barrel and carving a new stock out of a plank of cherry wood that I had. It now shoots like a dream and I am glad that I can use it again.

After that underhammer became unusable and before restoring it, I scrounged around for a used muzzleloader to keep shooting. I managed to find good deals on an Investarms flinter and a Renegade percussion that I am proud to have gotten for only $45.00.

Back in the 80’s I planned on building a Pennsylvania longrifle, and even managed to save up for a stock blank and a Siler flint lock. Life got in the way and I never did complete it. In recent years, I decided to take the project back up. I discovered TOTW so I now have all of the parts gathered to begin, but my wife, in her wisdom, suggested that I first make a simpler gun to build up my skills before touching that beautiful piece of curly maple. Since I always wanted a northwest trade gun, I bought TOTW’s 42” barrel kit. It was a joy to build. While not perfect, I am more than happy with the results. I am amazed with the lock on that gun. It has over 100 shots on it, and the original flint looks as good as the day I put it in the jaws. As I shoot it more, the gun is really growing on me. I am now trying to work up shot loads on it as well.

I have been doing my best to pass on the joy of muzzleloading to the next generation. This past December, I had two shoots on the campout, one that required skill and one that was all luck. It must have worked, because the general consensus around camp that night was, “Flintlocks are awesome!” Some parents are now mad at me (not really) because their sons want one of their own. I’m now certified as a muzzleloading rifle instructor, and am working with the local council in order to get more scouts exposed to them.

I’ve never done any reenacting, just enjoying the shooting. I have never belonged to any clubs or shot in any matches. I guess you could say that I have just been wandering around in the woods for 30 years, learning things on my own, and have just stumbled into the campfire. Just as I was trying to join in here, I heard the sad news that the campfire was being put out. I’m glad to have learned that someone managed to keep it going.

I don’t know if I have a lot of expertise on how to do things properly, but I certainly have a lot of experience on what NOT to do. I must be doing something right since I can usually keep reasonably tight groups out to 100 yards.

Well, that’s 30 years in a nutshell. I’m looking forward to learning a lot here, as well as passing on the nonsense that I have tried in order to save some poor soul from suffering the same embarrassments.

Paul

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the group You can learn alot here and get confused to ha ha ha some have experiances and then other do to,,,There is a lot of history posting in the archives,jump in and that will give you a good working menue.. Again welcome,,come early,stay late and join in,,,oh and there are no stupid/foolish questions,,no new ones anyway,they have already been asked,,,, ha ha ha ha

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Paul; we're glad you wandered into our camp. As Walking Crow says, you can learn and give advice around this campfire. Make yourself at home.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Paul,welcome!To me,you're one of those guys I should listen to.....So I will,look forward to learn what I can...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Paul. I'm barely in Travis Co out 290 West. Hope we can have a ML discussion over coffee some day.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Paul. There is lots of good information here by lots of great shooters. You can learn from the egg that has ended up on lots of our faces (who hasn't shot his ramrod downrange at least once? hehe). NMLRA is a great organization and you can find out if there are any clubs near you just by going to their website. They would welcome you. If you aren't already a subscriber, DO subscribe to Muzzleloader Mag... probably the very BEST publication ever. Their history articles are the best. I can't wait for the next installment about Simon Girty! Welcome again.
Michael

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Howdy Paul. I'm pretty new here myself and like you I've been shooting and enjoying muzzleloaders since the late seventies. This is a great bunch here with a LOT of great information and experience so pull up a stump, pour a cup of coffee and enjoy the talk.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
hello Paul welcome to the Fire lots of information on
this site you will enjoy your time here btw I have 2 daughters living in Austin beautiful city enjoyed my vist there

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome from the Rocky Mountains

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post