New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi, new to the Fire!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hi everyone , I am from England, are there many others on here from England?
James

A gun without hammers, looks like a spaniel without ears
King George v

Posts: 29 | Location: staffordshire england | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Hello James and welcome! Wow, from across the great pond! My G Grandfather on my mothers side was from Devonshire. He came here in the late 1870's. Then on my father's side my G Grandfather came here in 1847 from Liverpool. Never been to England but would love to go there someday. So James, what stirs your interests in muzzle loading?

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome,I am from Staffordshire, in the middle so to speak,
I have been muzzle loading for a long while now, matchlock, and flint, and percussion, match and flint for clays, percussion for birds,

King George v

Posts: 29 | Location: staffordshire england | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Welcome in to the Campfire James, an honor to have you. Mike

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Welcome! I'm curious, are there many restrictions in the UK concerning muzzleloading?

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, james. I've traced one branch of my family back to 11th century England. You're in with a good group of people whose passion is muzzleloading. Stretch out and enjoy.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you
James

King George v

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Just like to thank every one for their warm welcome!
To answer your question yes the law here is very different to what yours is! to begin with you need two different licences, depending if you
shoot smooth bore or rife, and you are very restricted in how and what you can shoot and what loads you can use
James

King George v

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Welcome, welcome. Great folks here and we'd love to hear about shooting in Jolly Olde...

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hi, thanks, would be happy to talk about muzzleloading in the UK
james

King George v

Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome James,like most here,I have several ancestors that were British,but I consider us to be two peoples separated by a common language...Heh.....Again,welcome,your viewpoint will be interesting.So, drag up a stump and pour a cuppa....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome,
James

King George v

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am from England, are there many others on here from England?

My family hails from Suffolk, but that was a couple of centuries ago.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Suffolk is way across country from us, I should imagine,coming from Suffolk, at that sort of time, they would be quite radical.

King George v

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
James, at your shoots, do you guys dress out in period dress?

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
It depends, sometimes yes,sometimes no, I lot of people are reenactors from different periods,who enjoy using and shooting the guns from the period they are interested in,then you have the real serious shooters,these are the ones who shoot in international competitions, and the world championships,

King George v

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
54 Roundball,welcome back to the fire!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mr. Culbbert. Just a fair warnin' to ya that there's some folk 'round this fire that like to pull yer laig. Don't get me wrong they's all good folk, helped me with many a problem whether they knew it er not.
Now most of us bein' Americans and you from the old country we'll just let bygones be bygones. Wink
But all kidding aside, a most hearty welcome to the fire and I look forward to hearing what wisdom you have for this group of rascals.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Cheers James, my best friend lives near London, and I have a friend north of York, I'm of Scot-Irish decent, 100% American raised though. Glad to have you, looking forward to hearing more about how things in the hobby work across the Pond.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post