New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rookie!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I just stumbled on this forum while looking for NWMP info, to help me along with my comic, so i'll mostly be interested in history stuff! So i might not be around "too" often, but will be stoppin' by here and there with questions!

I love the NWMP history, its so awesome to learn! I work at a NWMP museum in Alberta and love my job, learning about the history and stuff. I'm in BC right now going to school, but i miss home a lot.

hope to get to know some of you!

Nat

Posts: 1 | Location: BC, Canada (usually Alberta)  | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nat, Canadian, eh? Well, our welcome to this Campfire doesn't recognize any borders. While you're digging for info and tales about the NWMP you will certainly come across some good stories about the HBC and a lot of those we'd love to hear. Visit here often and let us know how you're doin'. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Nat. History is a big part of this hobby and you can get quite an "education" on this forum. And it's not all gun history but just 18th and 19th HISTORY. Hang around and let us hear from you.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Greetings and welcome Nat,

"..., to help me along with my comic,..."

Do you do cartoon strips for publications? That sounds like fun, can we see any online?

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Nat, Just saw your post and wanted to say hello and let you know about the Fur Trade Encampment in Astoria, Oregon in September 2011. It will be basically a six day rendezvous...without shooting events...which is TOTALLY FREE and open to the public on a daily basis. As a fellow artist I know how visually stunning a fur trade encampment can be and invite you to come on down and exercise you pencil and sketchbook. This area has a long history with the Northwest Company and Hudson's Bay Co. and we are expecting reenactors representing both of those groups to be in attendance. For any additional info see the EVENTS section of this forum or the web site www.Astoria200.org. Or you can contact me directly at AstoriaFurEncampment@aol.com. Look forward to hearing from you. Limner

Posts: 52 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Nat,
My spouse and I enjoy driving up to Banff, but we haven't been in the area in the right season and with enough time to see your museum. I'd love to sometime, though.
I'm a history nut myself, working on a character in the fur trade a bit further east.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire.
we don't get much info from your neck of the woods. Though most of us have read something or at least recognise the name of the Hudson Bay Co.

I'm a bit of a history nut myself I had lots of fun researching Northwest guns before I had one built for myself. I grew up in Wrangell, Alaska and have by grandpa's 1887 caplock Barnett & Son, Northwest gun. There's also two Northwest guns in the Wrangell Museum.

I later purchased a Caywood Gunmakers northwest gun decked out to represent one that would have been made around 1834, the year Ferdinand Von Wrangell, the govenor of Russian America had Zarambo build the fort (Redoubt Saint Dionysius) at what is now Warngell. They did it to stop the Hudson Bay Co. from shipping freight out from the Stikeen River. Once the fort was built, the Russians charged a hefty fee for shipping frieght across their territory. Rather than fighting about it, the HBC later leased the fort from Russia and business continued us usual, peacefull at least. Smiler

By the way, at one time my grandpa ran pack mules and pack dogs up the through Canada to the Casiar gold fields. He loved dogs and they could go where horses or mules could not, granted they carried less. He was also with the group that took the first motor boat up the Stikeen River.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post