Find
Notify
Tools

Weekend activities
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Good morning friends.

This past weekend; I worked on mowing old logging trails & fields. We were brush-hogging shrubbery in and around the fields and Senderos. We opened up a couple of new senderos on a relatively new hunting blind area on the edge of a clear-cut.

We assembled a commercially purchased ladder stand and a tripod stand. These stands were placed around a couple of clear-cut areas.

I purchased some mineral blocks and placed them where previous ones had been consumed or melted from excessive rain. These are kept out year-round hoping it will help the wildlife get some needed minerals which the soil does not provide to plants and such. I do this because our property is composed of very infertile, poor sandy soil.

I have observed all sorts of different species (deer, squirrels, raccoons, fox, even a woodpecker and unfortunately, pigs) utilizing these mineral licks. The blocks are kept off the ground via a constructed wood box (similar to a soda can case lower cardboard box).

A property manager's work is never complete.

Loving every muscle/bone aching moment, DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I was just sitting here reading this site and drinking coffee when your post popped up.

Soon as I'm done the coffee I'm heading to the YMCA for my Monday morning workout. Then, I have more than the usual errands to run in town today. This is going to be a busy afternoon.

Over last weekend; Saturday I went to the Cherokee festival, as I mentioned elsewhere. Sunday I went to church with my wife. I'm not a good Christian, but after my Mother-in-law passed I promised my wife that I would go and keep her company in church.
Sunday afternoon I helped my son-in-law move some of their household goods out of my barn and into their new house. There is still another truck load of their stuff in my barn. We'll get that sometime later.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, is my day! I plan to get out on the Tennessee River for some fishing. I'm also taking my fowler and plan to walk some TVA lands beside the river to hunt squirrels, as well as do some scouting for deer.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, I want to get to the range tomorrow (Tues) and check if I widened the rear notch enough on two of my rifles. It's gotten to be a chore to get out and do much of anything as time goes on. I take several drugs for my rheumatoid arthritis; but over the years they always seem to lose some of their efficacy. So the new one that was added nearly 4 years ago doesn't help quite as much as it did. The pain is still not nearly as bad as before and the chronic fatigue always gets worse as time goes on. But I know how to "push it" and will get to the range. I'm always "woozy" but there are perodic spells where I need to stay inside and not go out, I'm caught in one now. Looking for a better day Tues. If I don't perk up I won't be able to hit a tin can if it's placed over the muzzle (some wiseacres claim that's my normal). Big Grin

Took care of a couple of errands today and I'm close to crashing. I've still got some more rear sights on other rifles that need attention and I'll do them all this week. Got a friend who'll come up this fall. He kindly offered to bring my "stuff" from Charlottesville Va. For more than 3 years a dear friend has been holding onto it for me. Both are happy to meet and transfer the stuff so it can be moved here.

It's actually a LOT of stuff including powder, black and smokless, loaded ammo, bags of brass and thousands of rounds of ball I cast up a few years ago. There may be other items I can't recall offhand. That will put me in a shooting heaven.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, good luck fishing!

Hanshi, Have fun dialing in the rear sights on your rifles. Always fun to spend time on the range.

DanL

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I was busy this past weekend.

Being it is the time of year to prep for the hunting seasons in my locale, we fired up the tractor and plowed our food plots. It takes us longer than the average bear to prepare our food plots.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
To digress:
We mow our fields all spring and summer on a bi-weekly rotation mowing only half of the field each 2 weeks. Over 4 weeks the field is then completely mowed and the process rotates throughout the warm season. This does at least two things; ONE: the weeds and grass is being continually returned to the soil for nutrients and the grasses and weeds are continually rejuvenated with fresh growth.

TWO: Grasshoppers lay egges every two weeks. However, they require NEW grass growth on which to to lay eggs. Our technique above provides the new growth every 2 weeks.

Why grasshoppers, you ask. Well I will tell you. From research studies, Grasshoppers are one of the main food sources of a turkey poult's diet. By having fresh grass growing every two weeks, the grasshopper population is continuous instead of hit and miss. Also the alternating strips of mature weeds/grass provide cover and food for quail and other similar species.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Back to the plowing:

We found a few years ago that if we deep plow the plots every year with the disc plow, it helps keep the nutrients circulating. Then we straighten out the angle of the disc plow. We then roll over the just deep plowed field with straight disc plows to break up the clods and even out the hills and valleys left from deep plowing.

NOW...We broadcast our seed with a cyclone spinner type seed spreader.

The seed bed is better prepared for the seed to be sown in a couple-3 weeks. The hills and valleys are more level for even seed distribution. Seed do not fall in deep plow valleys and fail to germinate and/or germinate too deep to reach the light at the surface before running out of seed growth energy.

Once the seed are sown; We then will go back over the entire field with the disc plow set with straight angled discs to LIGHTLY cover the seed to provide for maximum germination and survival of the seed of interest.

WHEW! Returned to work to rest up, DanL

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Saturday I cleaned house & washed clothes and stuff, I live alone so I have to do it or it won't get done. Sunday went to the desert and did some shooting. A.54 cal TC cap gun, and four others that weren't black powder. Had breakfast on the desert. It was a good day.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have both been quarantined with the covid bug. Our symptoms are just like a bad cold or the flu; cough, stuffy head, sore throat. Feel sleepy all the time and sleep is mostly what we have been doing.
Our daughter did some grocery shopping for us.
We are getting better and our quarantine time will be over in a few more days.

I missed the first segment of the TN bear season due to this thing. I don't want a bear, but feral hogs are open at the same time, and I want a hog. Next segment opens on the 9th. Hope I feel up to it by then.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Come to Alabama Rancocas