Find
Notify
Tools

Hello from Nor-Cal
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Howdy,

My name is Scott, from Rohnert Park, CA. I've been a shooter for quite some time, but was just introduced to muzzleloading a couple of weeks ago by my neighbor. I went out with the club he's a part of, and had an absolute blast!

Being a shooter anyway, I figure I need to purchase a rifle now, and have my eyes on an "older" made-in-USA CVA Frontier .50 Hawken-style rifle. I had considered finding something nicer, or even doing a kit from Traditions, however I want to start with something a little old & beat up first.

I think I'm going to join that group for their Trek later in October, and hopefully check out the Rendezvous next year. Seems like a fun bunch of people to be around.

Of course, I also enjoy camping... and I try to be an avid mountain biker as well. Too many (expensive) hobbies really.

Scott

Posts: 15 | Registered: 10 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mack, we need more Californians here on this site... we need to show the world that California isn't just for fruits and nuts.

Before long you will be hooked and shooting Flintlocks!

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welocme to fire Mack. Great group of folks here with lots of experience. Sounds like the bug has bit you too.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Mack. You have just discovered the true path to enlightenment Big Grin .
A good shooting caplock, new or used, doesn't have to be costly at all. It's a good way to get started in muzzleloading. Eventually you'll be having custom flintlocks built. I say this because bp is addictive.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Fire, Mack-T.

Sounds like you just cought an incurable bug, the black powder syndrom. You are exibiting many of it s symptoms when you inform us that your having fun shooting the old rifles and want to buy one so you can get even closer to this habit forming syndrom.

I'm an incurable case since I've had it for over 40 years. The syndrom leads down a one way path, I attend rendezvous, shoot and hunt with black powder, havr my own primitive camp, and a muzzleloader for almost every occasion, not all , just alnost every occasion.

I'm dispicably aflicted and have inflicted my family with it too. My wife and son, and my neice and nephew all have a mild case of it now.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am very excited to attend a Rendezvous, and I can only hope my wife will have fun too, even if she doesn't want to shoot (she is happy with her. 22, and that's it).

I'm certain one of these days I'll own a flintlock :-) for now, I'll settle for the caplock gun to get started. I figure I'll find a rifle and then move to finding the necessary accessories.

Scott

Posts: 15 | Registered: 10 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome Scott, glad to have you here. Will your trekking group be wearing and using only period gear? In addition to the excellent Trekking section here on this forum there several other resources for information and tips in that regard; http://historicaltrekking.com/forums/index.php
This is something that I'd like to get into as well but as you pointed out, to many expensive hobbies already, like my nearly unused mountain bike. But the sale of one mountain bike will equal a fairly decent mass produced muzzle loader or a complete kit from the same place, right? Roll Eyes That's what I tell myself anyway. You will get plenty of good advice here, make yourself at home and plan to stay a while.
William

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post