New
Find
Notify
Tools

by way of Introduction
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
HELLO THE CAMP ! My name is Phil K. aka: Beegum. I have been a Civil war reenactor since 1988. I have done both Confederate and Union impressions. I was with the 5th Alabama Battalion, Archer's Brigade. First C. S. unit into Gettysburg. "Beegum" was a member of the actual unit and wore a tophat or "beegum". Later after my kids told me their teacher said I was on the BAD side I joined a union unit, the 25th Mass. Vol. Infantry Regiment. A unit slaughtered at Cold Harbor. One of my relatives fought with them there. Lately I have started doing a French & Indian War impression with the 3rd Massachusetts Provincial Regiment. I have only done a few events with the F&I. In all my reenacting I have yet to fire a live round through my .577 enfield or Brown Bess. I look forward to learning alot from all of you and making some new friends.

Posts: 44 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: 16 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Phil,
You'll find lots of friendly folks here. If you can find an actual "shooting" club in your area, someone there could coach you on safe methods for loading and firing, if you're uncomfortable on that. Of course, having the right-sized ammunition is important, too!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dick
I have been a guest on the forum for awhile and have enjoyed the wit and wisdom of all. I am looking for a gun club up here near Springfield, MASS. where I can shoot my blackpowders and my modern Winchester 30/30 lever action. I am also looking to try a rendevous some place nearby. I love the woods, primitive camping and shooting. Phil/Beegum

Posts: 44 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: 16 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Beegum there is clubs in lemonister leister arburn ma and there is a rendervous in west warren in may of this year i'm down here in fall river and belong to the tiverton r&g club we have 4 shoots a year with plenty of campinf area friday thru sunday there is plenty of clubs around shooting bp need any more info e-mail me it is on my profile

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beegum:
Later after my kids told me their teacher said I was on the BAD side I joined a union unit, the 25th Mass. Vol. Infantry Regiment. .

I hope that you had some "words" with that teacher and set him/her straight!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, beegum. Settle around the fire and make yourself at home. There's a lot to learn around here and eager ears to hear what you can share.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3481 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire Beegum. You will enjoy it here.

Being born and living all my live just south of Richmond, I guess I have always been on the "bad" side! I think I would like to have a "conversation" with that so-called teacher!

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks NEwoodsrunner, I appreciate the info and will be in contact

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Rancocas... I did explain how far off that young lady was..However she thought "I was mis-informed" and "She had all the answers" in spite of her limited knowledge and overabundance of Political Correctness.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks All.. I have found that people who "know it all" can always learn from those "willing to learn and eager to share". Beegum

Booshway
posted Hide Post
My former boss was a Civil War reinactor. It was him who influenced me to get into muzzleloading. He loaned me his replica 1861 Springfield for deer season, and I took a young buck with it.
He also had an original, breech-loading Smith carbine that I had the opportunity to fire several times.
Unfortunately, he was a dang bluebelly, too. Razzer

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Rancocas...Sorry to hear bout your computer misfortune...as to being a yankee...well by birth ..guess I am..But..I sure had a lot of fun as Beegum/Jess Hutchins, infantry corporal, 5th Alabama Batt., Archer's Brigade..CSA. I will always remember the 125th Anniversary reenactment of Gettysburg and advancing across that huge field toward the **** Yankees during pickets charge. First all we saw was the U.S. colors and regimental flags...then the tips of thousands of bayonets shining in the sun...then a wall of BLUE. It made me proud to be an AMERICAN of either side..to relive that moment of incredible bravery... We all live to honor those amazing people that went before us.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Okay, I confess. Yankee by birth. Southern by preference.
I was born and raised as a New Jersey Yankee. At least it was southernNew Jersey.