New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wisconsin Greenhorn
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hi everyone. I am brand new to blackpowder but have the bug bad. I am the proud new owner of a Lymans great plains rifle in .54. I have to wait a little while to try it out as I had to order most of my shooting supplies. Any advice to some one wanting to get into buckskinning? I am looking for people and events in eastern Wisconsin that I can learn from and join in with.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 24 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome Chuck! You made a good choice on your rifle and caliber, fer sartain! I have one in flintlock and she's laid me up some venison, too.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck E.:
Hi everyone... Any advice to some one wanting to get into buckskinning? I am looking for people and events in eastern Wisconsin that I can learn from and join in with.

Welcome, Chuck,
I used to live in Minnesota, so I know there are lots of folks in the upper Midwest who shoot these things.
On the Muzzleloader web page, on the left side in the Contents, you'll find a listing of some clubs. Not all, by a long shot! But start there. And if you belong to the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association, they list member clubs in their magazine. You might even find that info online at their site.
If you subscribe to Muzzleloader Magazine, watch for ads for shoots, etc.
I do know there's a good trading event (with limited shooting) west of you at Prairie du Chien. There will be lots of others, too. Try Googling for 'em.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Welcome Chuck,

Glad to have you at the campfire. If you hang around here long enough you will learn a great deal of information from many good people.

If there is something you really want to know right away, use the "Find" button above and to the left to search for a particular topic. Chances are it has been discussed on this forum somewhere. You can always just start a new thread and ask away!

Welcome once again!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Welcome Chuck.

Where in eastern WI are you?

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I live in Sturgeon Bay. It is about 50 miles NW of Green Bay.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 24 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to camp, Chuck E. You're in good company for sure. You'll learn a lot, here, and from the best, as I have. Don't be shy, ask questions and post your opinions.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome Chuck!! Good to see someone from one of my favorite states. Don't get up there as much as I'd like but enough to soothe the soul. There ought to be lots of stuff going on up there.

Vic

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Posts: 272 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome. I went to school at Marquette, so I know Wisconsin a bit. My roommate was from Greenbay.

You have a good rifle in a good caliber. It should be fun!

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire. You got questions just ask, lots of help here for sure.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of hawkmandan
posted Hide Post
Chuck, check smoke and fire or powderhorn news these have listings of events in midwest. There is Prairie de chien in western Wi. on fathersday weekend. I call it buckskinners mega mall.

Posts: 130 | Location: Possum junction | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of J. B. Flincher
posted Hide Post
Chuck I am still a newby in BP but have learned a lot from being on here. there is a wealth of knowledge on here both new post and questions as well as in the archives just search them and you will find your answers if not just ask as the only stupid question is the one not asked. cause the one not asked has a chance of getting you hurt.

Just because its legal doesn't mean its right....if you always do right then you are never wrong.

Posts: 153 | Location: northwestern Missouri | Registered: 05 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Welcome, where are you at in southeastern Wisconsin? Burlington is where I'm at. I can give you some information about what you are looking for if you would like. Sorry for coming so late. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire. Your going to enjoy that Lyman Great Plains rifle. It won't matter if its a 50 or 54 caliber, it will put deer down just fine. I've taken a number of deer with my LGP 54 caplock.
For what it's worth, I use 90 gr of FFg, GOEX with a .530 ball wrapped in a 0.015" patch. That is just deadly when it comes to deer, providing I can get my sights on them in the first place.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post