New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jonathan Browning mountain rifle
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I bought an iron fitted 50 caliber new in 197? and a 54 three years ago. I enjoy these rifles. Wonder if anyone has experience with JBMR?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 14 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Campfire, MikeM!

I own a JBMR in.54. Have had it 1981. Fetchumunder is its name and it's a shooter. Can hit bowling pins at 200yds easy.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I bought one new in .54 cal. in '81 or '82. Mine has a name too, but it isn't suitable for a family oriented forum. This gun, almost made me give up muzzleloading guns, and I'd give up meals to shoot muzzleloaders.
Earl

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Del Gue, Why the JBMR "almost made me give up muzzleloading."

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, MikeM. Make yourself at home.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you for welcoming me to the campfire.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Mike M, First let me welcome you to the fire, and apologize, for the delay in my response. Frustration, was the cause for what I said. Have you ever bought a "lemon" automobile? One that all the copies in the world, were out driving up, and down the hiway, while yours sat in a shop. If it wasn't broke(set trigger broke within the first month I owned the firearm)it was the most cantakerous to get to fire reliably, and the most finicky about loads of any firearm, I've ever owned. Set trigger broke again. One morning in early light, at my favorite hunting spot, I realised I had no front sight, it had never shown any sign of being loose, but chose that time to depart. It was always plauged, with hangfires, and misfires. I tried every trick, and tip, to get this situation cleared up, nothing ever did much to help it get reliable. I own other Browning firearms, zero issues with any of them. I don't have a problems with other muzzleloaders, even other JBMRs, just THIS one. I was so proud of that gun, and was desperate, to get it to perform. Finally it took to going off at half cock, I came to the conclusion, that this gun hated me, and it was dangerous, so it's been setting in my gun cabinet ever since. I really don't mean to badmouth the guns in general, but THIS one in particular. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Earl

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Del Gue, That is a good story!
I own and have owned several Browning pistols, rifles, shotguns, and JBMRs.
My two sons and I were hunting turkeys a year ago. No turkeys! We returned to my vehicle and proceeded to unload the shotguns. As my youngest son attempted to unload his Browning Gold 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge one 3 1/2 lodged under the feed ramp , the bolt was stuck half open with a 3 1/2 attached to the bolt. Took it to a Browning dealer to remove the shells. The gunsmith did not tell me the cause. I do not think he knew the cause. The Gold worked OK with 3 inch shells. I sold the Gold and bought a Benelli.
We are not gunsmiths however we have shot and hunted since early life and my oldest was a captain in the US Army. The three of us could not disassemble and remove those shells.
Some things are turkeys err lemons.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Del-some guns are just hoodood or snake bit. Not a thing to be done about them.

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: 27 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post