New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Sims passes
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I got word this evening, a dear friend of mine has passed. My best friend.
Jack Sims was at the camp at Fawn Creek, on the Fisher River. He was setting up the archery range on Thursday, and apparently passed then. He was not missed in camp, and was found today (Friday). Not unusual for someone not to show up at their camp, so no one thought anything amiss.

Jack was a retired engineer for GE, developing some of their larger projects over the years. After he retired there, he was a commercial fisherman, and a rancher.

Jack was one of the stars in the quick draw game, holding several national titles. He had shot against Bob Mundun, and out drew and out shot him many times in the early years, and Bob still remembered that when they met up again a few years ago. I read some of the members claims to what they can do with a pistol, and never doubt them, because I know Jack was pure rattle snake with a pistol when he was serious about shooting. I know what a good shooter can do.

Jack is credited for originating and perfecting the fanning technique that was then used by all the top competitors in the game. I believe he was also responsible for some of the holster design changes that were used in the game.

He was also one of the top shooters in International Clays, and this past year, won the World Smoothbore Championship. He was a very serious muzzle loader shooter, and he and I always competed against each other at the shoots, not carrying what the other competitiors may be doing for score. We would lie outrageously to each other, claiming a hit we may or may not have made, and neither cared a bit! The ribbing and fun were what we were winning.

Jack was a shooter. We would be found out on the range in minus twenty weather, pouring rain, high winds, whatever it was, Jack was always ready to shoot. I should mention that his wife Kay is also a shooter, and she holds more than a few records.

It was so darn fun to be on a boat fishing, sitting around a campfire, or shooting with this guy. He always had a story to tell, and they were always darned funny.

I could go on and on about our adventures together, hunting, fishing, trapping, and camping. Our last camp together was two weeks ago, and we shot pistols together at that time. I can not express to you how much this man meant to me. He was as close as my own blood brothers.

Flathead Freetrapper, Brother, Friend.

Rest in Peace.

Ric Carter
Lion Mountain
Somers, Montana

Posts: 535 | Location: Montana | Registered: 04 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Ric, please accept our condolences. What a wonderful tribute your have written to your friend. He was obviously a very special man. -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ric, Jack sounds like a great guy like someone we would all like to know. I'm sorry for your loss. Rockerhound

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rockerdog,

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ric, Jack's passing is, indeed, sad news. He was sure 'some doin's' with a trade gun. Thanks for letting us know. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Ric, it's always sad to lose a good friend. You wrote a very nice tribute. Not much more could have been said about a friend. I am truly sorry for your loss and to the loss to his family.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Jack sounds like the kind of person that we all wish we could have as a friend and mentor. You were truly blessed to have had such a close relationship with him. I'm sorry for your loss, Flintlockjoe.

Posts: 45 | Location: Rockland County, NY | Registered: 29 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ric please accept my condolences on the loss of your brother and friend. Your post regarding him is a wonderful tribute and I am so glad you shared. Via Con Dios

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the kind of man we all here would like to be. True friendship is such a great thing and to be able to call someone brother shows your true love for the man.
You're in my prayers as well as all those who were close to him.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Tin-Type
posted Hide Post
So sad for the loss of your dear friend.

'Til yer nightmares become saddled horses'
"Tin-Type"

Posts: 615 | Location: North Seattle, Salish Sea Area | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I understand you're loss. I lost my best friend last year to liukemia. I still haven't eaten in the dinner we used to frequent together.

Load fast and aim slow

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Muddy Dog
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss, may the Great Spirit hold him close and one day we all may sit with your friend around the campfire together.

"Human beings will exert with extreme vigor their God-given right to be stupid." Muddy Dog

Posts: 33 | Location: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: 09 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
I'm Sorry for your loss of your friend Ric

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post