New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howdy from sunny Scotland
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hi folks novice to the blackpowder scene and recently acquired a Pedersoli .45 Kentucky flintlock rifle. Been hunting and shooting since childhood, was a full time gamekeeper and stalker for ten years before joining HM Forces. Looking forward to picking up tips and ideas from all you guys n gals.
See you through the smoke!
Reiver

Posts: 6 | Location: Scottish Borders | Registered: 27 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hail and well-met! You will find a lot of us in the States whose heritage and ancestors come from the Highlands. Big Grin I am clan MacNabb myself.

What model Pedersoli rifle do you have?

Welcome to the fire!

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire My Grandfather was born in Sterling, family of Douglas

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire. No similar heritage, here; just mostly Scandinavian and Amerindian with maybe a little basset hound and beagle mixed in from somewhere. This is the correct campsite, however, and the coffee is hot.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire!
One of my father's friends from the little Kansas town where they lived was a Turnbull, whose family came from the Border country.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Welcome Reiver. Sunny Scotland? Isn't that an oxymoron?

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire Reiver. I'm part of the Stuart clan myself, though it is few generations back. Sunny Scotland, now that is new to me.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
reiverxxv Welcome to the Fire, come early, stay late and join in.
I spent some time in Scotland around Machrihanish and Inverness. I had some scotch in me during that time,,Famous Grouse as I recall and a few Tennants from time to time.Beautiful country,friendly people. Welcome again. anyone wanting to see Machrihanish,,it's on Goodle Earth. reiver what town are you from,I'd like to look it up??

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warm welcome folks, I have a .45 Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock rifle working on loads utilising Lee moulded .445 ball with 0.10 thickness Ox Yoke per lubed patches. I was born in the Royal Burgh of Selkirk. I too know Argyllshire and lived near Kilfinan beside Loch Fyne. We had twenty glorious sunny days without rain, alas back to rain !
Hope to make it over for a hunt one day as we are limited to what we can shoot with muzzleloaders ( no deer allowed ). I will just have to make do with targets, small game and vermin up to foxes.
See you through the smoke !
Reiver XXV

Posts: 6 | Location: Scottish Borders | Registered: 27 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
reiverxxv I went to Google Earth and took a tour of Selkirk so very nice town .Just as I remember Scotland. Shows lots of pride in their homes.With an address I could go right to your home and see it.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Tin-Type
posted Hide Post
Reiver,
Welcome to the fire.. I gotta ask. Is sunny Scotland like SUNNY SEATTLE ?? We just finished 35 days without rain today as it rained almost all day. This area of the USA is also known as Pacific North WET. Again, welcome to the fire and come on over to hunt sometime.

I also gotta ask why you can't take a deer with a 45 cal. muzzleloader? What sort of restrictions on game, and the reasoning for it?

'Til yer nightmares become saddled horses'
"Tin-Type"

Posts: 615 | Location: North Seattle, Salish Sea Area | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Reiverxxv,welcome and merry meet...Like most of the rest here,I've got roots buried deep in Scotland,so it's good to hear from someone from "over the pond".Like you,I'm just learning the starting stuff...good bunch here,they're very patient with us beginners.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
Welcome You'll find kindred spirits here. Mayhaps you'll find some kinsmen here in America. My kinsmen hail from Dublin.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Howdy
Again I am delighted to hear from like minded folks. Our Government does not allow the use of any weapon that does not meet the required muzzle velocity or energy requirements. If the Scottish government get their way they will licence air weapons as well. If I was younger I would have seriously considered emigration to escape the continual pressure of more legislation and further loss of our wilderness and overcrowding.Been busy casting balls and hope to get out to have a shot tomorrow after work.
All the best n see ye through the smoke
Reiver XXV

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Fire Reiverxxx. That is so interesting that you can't take deer with a muzzleloader. What do the historians think killed so many in the past? I've taken 9 deer with 3 different 54 cal muzzleloaders. 90 gr of 2Fg and a patched .530 round ball can go clear through a deer, stem to stern at 50 yds.

That load also drops them like a rock if hit in the shoulder area. My hunting partner took an elk with that same load using a rifle I loaned him. Elk by the way are darn big animals. It took us over 12 hours to get all the meat out of the woods.

By the way, your country is very nice. I visited the area and drove from Glasgow to Inverness and then down to Edinburgh. I have relatives in the Liverpool area and Wales though I'm of Irish stock.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
lots of us Scots here about, it seems that there is a great following in the BP scene. my great grand father emigrated in the late 1800's, from Glasow our sur name is "Douglass"
welcome to the BP clan.

Posts: 8 | Location: preston,Idaho | Registered: 30 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
And there's one here from the Nesbit clan too. Welcome, for sure! Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I'm a Johnson,my Mom researched it and it turns out the name is legit,not an alias some ancestor used to escape the consequences of his actions.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire. I am from Clan Ross.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post